What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Brake caliper installation

nippaero

Well Known Member
I ran into a problem today installing my brake calipers. I have the older style wheel pants and the fairing attach plate did not have enough clearance for the 90 degree fitting on the caliper. Do I just need to cut out enough clearance?

Does anyone happen to have a picture of their install?

I am thinking about going to the new style wheel fairing so maybe this wont be an issue. But I kind of like the looks of the old style. :cool:

2015-11-09-10.50.22.jpg

2015-11-09-10.50.19.jpg

When you put the brake disk in and the other brake shoe I think the caliper assembly will move inboard enough for clearance.

Your picture doesn't show the final locations of the parts.

Are the U-405 spacers installed on the axle?

Last edited:
Thanks guys.

Are the U-405 spacers installed on the axle?

Yes. The spacers installed in the wheels.

Mike, checked dwg 45 (dated 1988) from my earliest set of 6 plans ....the aft edge of U-414 is cut more along the lines of a 45 degree cut from the lower aft bolt hole of the U-414 up to, and around of course, the top aft platenut. I see on your second picture the plate is cut closely around the caliper top and thus the close fit to the AN fitting. At the point where you clear the top of the caliper you could cut a 45 degree (or so) line up to an acceptable distance around the aft side of the top platenut I think you would then have plenty of room for the fitting.

Here is what I have. Are you saying I need to remove some of the material where the red line is in order to clear the 90 degree fitting? Funny it doesn't show that on the drawing. Is there a newer drawing out there? The one I have is from 1988 as well.

2015-11-09-16.24.10.jpg

2015-11-09-16.24.21.jpg

Fitting

Remove the fitting, clean all the old sealant off, apply some titeseal and reinstall the fitting oriented about 10 degrees inboard. That should give you plenty of clearance. If you want to verify the position of the caliper assembly, bolt the other part in place with a spacer to represent the thickness of the brake disc. That will allow you to check clearances without the wheel assembly installed.

DWG 45 from 1988

Yes, my drawing shows the aft edge of U-414 NOT to be a well radiused 90 degree cut starting at the top of the brake caliper but rather more of a 45 degree line yielding plenty of room for the brake line AN fitting. I will plan to find my camera (at the hangar), take a picture of dwg 45 showing the U-414 lines, upload it to my computer and will post tomorrow for you. Oh, and you other guys at Benton (O85), no comments about the fact that I do not, as yet, have a smart phone! :)

When you put the brake disk in and the other brake shoe I think the caliper assembly will move inboard enough for clearance.

Ok. I think I got it figured out. Gill had the right answer ;) I had to read his response and think about it for a minute before I found the caliper floats and needs to be pushed in further. Now on to bigger things! lol.

Is the Axle nut supposed to fit on really tight? I really have to torque on mine to get it to screw on.

Back