What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel Pump and Line Location

nippaero

Well Known Member
I have an older RV6 kit that originally had the fuel pump on the left side. In the newer RV7 plans that came on my disk it shows the fuel line routed straight up to the firewall and the fuel pump on the center firewall.

I am wondering if I should relocate it like the 7 and build a center cabin cover to cover it up like on the 7. I wont have the battery box on the floor. I am moving it up tot he firewall.

Any Suggestions?

DWG 45 from 1988

Mike, checked dwg 45 (dated 1988) from my earliest set of 6 plans ....the aft edge of U-414 is cut more along the lines of a 45 degree cut from the lower aft bolt hole of the U-414 up to, and around of course, the top aft platenut. I see on your second picture the plate is cut closely around the caliper top and thus the close fit to the AN fitting. At the point where you clear the top of the caliper you could cut a 45 degree (or so) line up to an acceptable distance around the aft side of the top platenut I think you would then have plenty of room for the fitting.

Sorry Mike, I see now that I responded to the brake line fitting thread just a moment ago.

On the fuel pump, I'm building a second 6A and am following 7 layouts such as the fuel pump. Ordered up a center tunnel...I think it will look nice.

When I rebuilt the wrecked RV-6A that I now fly, I changed the fwd fuselage to the current RV-7/9 configuration.
Moved the battery to be fwd of the firewall and used many of the RV-7 parts (center floor cover, fuel pump mount doubler, etc)

It simplifies the fuels system. Particularly on an A model.
The brake lines can also be run using the same path as the 7/9.

I also followed the -7A plans for my 6A fuel lines, electric fuel pump,and battery box locations. I also used the cabin heater box from the -7 but not the tunnel covers. I am very satisfied with the results.

It depends on where you are in the build. If you're just starting the fuselage and firewall then I'd suggest following the-7 plans just because it takes the guesswork out of locating control penetrations and such. If you want to use the -7 parts then make sure you space the two center 3/4" angles on the floor the same as the -7. I tried to use the AFP fuel pump mounting on my -6 and my angles were about 3/32" too narrow. That bracket is made from .063 and I couldn't rebend it or force it. I don't know if I missed the spacing on my -6 or if the -7 is slightly different. I wound up using the mount I salvaged from my 1st -6. I bent up my own cover for the rest of the floor and the heater diffuser. Other than that I used the -7 firewall layout for the battery box, contactors, heater box, control cable penetrations etc. and it's worked out better than my 1st -6.

Thanks guys. I am in the early stages of planning. Here is how my firewall looks now. The previous owner had already started by putting the heater control box and fuel/brake lines in.

I think I will leave the heat control box where it is since the hole is already cut. The Brake reservoir is ok too. I will relocate the fuel pump and lines to the -7 drawings. Those holes are easy enough to plug off. Does anyone know the width of the center cover on the -7? I wonder if it will fit my two center 3/4" angles already on the floor. If not then I could just fabricate my own.

I already have the battery box ordered for the FW.

OG-Firewall-Mount.jpg

Last edited:
Ctr cover, tunnel

Mike,

I ordered the F-782C center tunnel and it fit perfectly with the 6A QB kit (29 & change).

Hope that helps.

I already have the battery box ordered for the FW.
When you mount the battery box, put the platenuts on the aft side of the firewall rather than on the battery box. Mine are per the plans, on the battery box and when I removed the box, I had to have someone stand on the outside while I worked the wrench from down in the foot well.

Back