What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cockpit draft / air leakage control

Pittsartist

Well Known Member
My first winter approaches in the new RV. I've been getting a fair bit of air movement inside the cockpit and what was pleasant in the summer months was becoming uncomfortable as the air temperature dropped.

Time to take some draft exclusion measures then......

If i'd started with drafts that equal "10"

- Fitted aileron push tube seals = 6
- Sealed around penetrations for pitot and wiring fuz to cabin = 5
- Sealed around rear edge of canopy slider to fuz = 5 (no change)
- Sealed edges of cabin floor to fuz sides = 5 (no change)

I was getting fed up, so had a really close look and decided to fit the seals in the photos attached and also seal the main wing spar penetration hole with some gaffer tape at the same time.

Difference was dramatic to say the least - I'd say not even a "1" on the above scale now. The only detectable air movement now is a little leakage from the cabin air vents. I'm Happy - Wifey's delighted ! :D:D:D

I'm convinced that the real winner here was the seals on the canopy side skirts. They are domestic door "brush" seals that have been fitted under the slider canopy rails. I cut the brush to stand 1/8" above the fuz side and they seal perfectly with very little drag on the canopy action.

22644642785_7cae6e296b_k.jpg
[/url]IMG_1727 by WIGY TV, on Flickr[/IMG]

22655868321_2d102e564f_h.jpg
[/url]IMG_1723 by WIGY TV, on Flickr[/IMG]

22644641145_807b5aa3cd_k.jpg
[/url]IMG_1729 by WIGY TV, on Flickr[/IMG]

22618631856_2252abc069_k.jpg
[/url]IMG_1722 by WIGY TV, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited:
Drafts

As owner of a drafty RV-8 I'd love to see the pics, but they didn't come through on my MacBook Thanks for posting!

So, it looks like you took the rails off and put them under the rails. Hard to understand from the pics. Do you have a source or part number for the seals?
Al

Important photo posting instructions........

And A Shortcut Tip...
I (Doug)increased the number of images you can have in a post to (10). If you use one of the thousands of free places on the web to host images, you can quickly insert images into a post by surrounding the URL they give you with
. In most of these sites, you upload the image and look for the 'Direct Link To Image' URL. TIP: Make the image 800 pixels wide or less for best viewing in the forums - it preserves the proper word wrapping.
For example, inserting the text below into a post will result in this. I got it all squared away using Notepad before copy/pasting it into the post.

27.jpg

HooverDam.jpg

IMG_0894.JPG

These can be found in the upper left hand corner of this page..... Look for posting rules......