What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sliding canopy plexi rivets

jacksel

Well Known Member
The only way I could get the plexi to attach well to the forward canopy bow and windshield frame was to use a series of spacers across the center area of the canopy bow. Some of these are 3/16 inches. I'm assuming the supplied AACQ-4-4 rivets will not have the required grip length. I'm guessing I'll need somewhere around -6's and -8's. I haven't found these on the Van's web store and I've only located one supplier who will sell me a 100 pack of -6's for ~$35.00. Do you know of any source where I can get a handful of AACQ-4 rivets in the range -6 to -8? Is there an adequate substitution?

If you are committed to using rivets :eek: can you use Sikaflex for the center frame rib? I had a 3/8 gap in one section, but just filled it in.

rivet alternative

Yes there is an alternative - drill & tap the canopy bow and use #6 screws instead of pop rivets. The screws allow you to put just enough pressure, and reduces the chance of cracking. I have an aluminum strip between the screws and the forward edge of the sliding canopy. One important thing... DO NOT USE Locktite as it attacks the plastic canopy. Vibratite is OK to use. Other benefit: far easier to remove if you ever need to replace the canopy due to cracks or sun damage. I used screws everywhere pop rivets were called for.

The only way I could get the plexi to attach well to the forward canopy bow and windshield frame was to use a series of spacers across the center area of the canopy bow. Some of these are 3/16 inches. I'm assuming the supplied AACQ-4-4 rivets will not have the required grip length. I'm guessing I'll need somewhere around -6's and -8's. I haven't found these on the Van's web store and I've only located one supplier who will sell me a 100 pack of -6's for ~$35.00. Do you know of any source where I can get a handful of AACQ-4 rivets in the range -6 to -8? Is there an adequate substitution?

OK thanks. I figured #6 screws would probably be adequate but didn't realize that about using locktite.

Yes there is an alternative - drill & tap the canopy bow and use #6 screws instead of pop rivets. The screws allow you to put just enough pressure, and reduces the chance of cracking. I have an aluminum strip between the screws and the forward edge of the sliding canopy. One important thing... DO NOT USE Locktite as it attacks the plastic canopy. Vibratite is OK to use. Other benefit: far easier to remove if you ever need to replace the canopy due to cracks or sun damage. I used screws everywhere pop rivets were called for.

Yes, I did the same with #6 screws and Vibratite. The gap I had to contend with was along the spine, starting about 1/3rd of the way back. I used small nylon washers as spacers...if I needed to use 2 or 3, I'd superglue them together to make installation easier (after the superglue was thoroughly dry, of course!). No issues at all with screws backing out from vibration.

Back