What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AntiSplat Almost a 14 Mod

gerrychuck

Well Known Member
I just flew for the first time with the Almost a 14 mod installed. I knew I needed this modification as soon as Allan announced it. I am over 6' 3" with very long forearms; I have had to fly with very light volleyball shoes to give myself a bit more legroom, always felt the seatback was a bit too vertical, thereby putting more stress on my low back, and felt cramped trying to apply left aileron due to my elbow jamming up against the side of the plane. All that is remedied with the mod; the sitting position feels much more stretched out; I still used my volleyball shoes, but I could have flown in my normal hikers with no problem. Low back is much more comfortable; now the lumbar support in my Classic Aero cushions can actually do its job. My first landing was with a 20 kt quartering crosswind from the left; exactly the scenario that used to give me trouble with jamming my elbow - stick back and left aileron through the approach - no problems at all with the increase in room for my arm provided by the reclined seat back.

My only concern, expressed by some others on the forum, was that reclining a bit might lower my eye position enough to affect my sight picture in the landing flare and negatively affect my landings. No problem whatsoever with my first landing; didn't even think about it until after I cleared the active. If it had been an issue, adding a wedge under the seat cushion would fix it very easily.

A mechanic friend did most of the installation for me, so I can't comment with authority on how difficult it is; it certainly wasn't tough for her, but she is much more comfortable with riveting and cutting metal than a non-builder like me. I can't imagine that anyone who built their plane would have any difficulty.

I am very pleased with the mod, and can't wait to try some longer flights; I am sure it will significantly improve cross-country comfort. Great improvement to the 6A, and great bang for the buck.

I thought it was a bit forward when I read the enclosed request with the kit for my slider 6A, to report what I thought about the mod on the forum here, and as a result, never got in a hurry, but......
Guys,
Whether you buy this mod, or build it yourself for a whole lot less of your hard earned cash on some easily manufactured pieces, unless you're a skinny little runt, you need to do it. Now, I'm finally comfortable, and my 6'2" buddy can keep his knees out of the panel and his head off the canopy. All this chatter about it having an effect on your ability to see outside, or land the airplane, is clutter. The mod is simple and can be completed is a short few hours.

I haven't flown with the mod yet, but have it mostly installed (haven't drilled the bolt holes for the canopy block).

I'm 6'4" and made a point to get seat back as thin as I could find short of a thin bit of foam. The first time I sat in my RV-6A with the seat pads all in, my only thought was oh no.

The Mod came out a while later and I jumped on it. I have sat in the plane with the mod installed and it is a world of difference. I thought I was going to have to fly with no seat back, now I am comfortable!

Last edited by a moderator:
Antisplat Almost a 14 Mod

The product and support are outstanding.
You should measure the width of your Fuselage before removing the old crossmember. My fuselage collapsed 1/2" after removal. I had to expand the fuselage to the original dimensions before riveting in the new crossmember.

Instillation of the new crossmember was very easy. Removal of the old crossmember was difficult.

I am 6' 5" tall and yes, I would definitely do it again.

Mike Casey

...need someone to do mine!

....are you guys kidding me? Did you not READ Gerry's post?

"A mechanic friend did most of the installation for me, so I can't comment with authority on how difficult it is; it certainly wasn't tough for her, but she is much more comfortable with riveting and cutting metal than a non-builder like me.
Gerry Julian Moose Jaw Saskatchewan"

If there's more lady AME's ....I'm moving back to Saskatchewan! :D

( note; don't let wife read this!)

I bought this mod after feeling pretty cramped in some 9's while mine is still under construction. I have some engineering concerns that I wonder if anyone can address. The current bulkhead is about a 4 inch beam that likely protects the frame somewhat from fore and aft twist (that is one side moving forward and the other side backward at the longeron. The steel bar is more narrow and while it is likely stronger but it would be able to shift fore and aft more easily. I would be interested in any opinions before I install this. I am 6 ft but do sit fairly reclined in my car for comfort.

Almost a 14 mod in a non-prepunched RV6a

Installation of Almost an RV14 mod

I installed this mod in my RV6A slider and thought I?d identify some issue encountered in my non-prepunched airplane. If you are interested in this kit for a -6 slider, step 1 is to watch the online Anti-Splat video, and then the RV6 supplement video. There are no other drawings or instructions, but the videos are straightforward.

In my airplane, there were some things in particular I had to do that were not covered by the videos:

1) I had run electrical under the canopy railing and through the cross-member piece that gets removed. It took forever to break off little pieces of aluminum with a pair of needlenose using a mirror until it was clear of the wiring. Also there is a point on the video where you are told to discard the short pieces of 1/8? angle, which wasn?t true for me since I had electrical running through them. I just riveted them back on.

2) I had driven a rivet on each side through the original cross-member and under the sliding canopy rails. That required removal of the rails to drill out the rivet.

3) There was quite a bit of trimming required to the center flap tower cover. The existing holes did not line up with the pre-drilled holes, yet they were too close to just add new nutplates.

4) The new cross-member was about 1/8 too long for my plane so some minor grinding was in order. There was plenty of clearance for the three mounting holes on each end, but don?t count on them being in the same place as in the video.

All in all it took two full days to install in my plane, for which I am the original builder. The parts from ASA are quite nice. The two side covers fit great without modification. The kit comes with more rivets than you need, but doesn?t include any other fasteners, so Aircraft Spruce got about $10 in business as well . However, I did get a new ASA hat in the box.

Was it worth it? Oh yeah! First of all taking a Sawzall to a structural member of the airplane improved my prayer life dramatically. But. . .when it was all over and I strapped my 6?3? frame into the airplane it all became clear. The mod really does give the airplane a much bigger feel. In fact it turns out I only need about 3? of the 4? available recline, so I intend to fabricate a new ?shortie? seat back brace.

Almost a 14 mod RV-6A slider

I installed the Almost a 14.

My height is 6-1 with 32 inseam, short legs, tall seated height.

RV-6A slider.

Flightline Confor-Foam seats, no wedge.

My head clearance to the plexiglass went from 3/8" to 1-1/2" when I installed the Almost a 14 mod; I don't have to duck under the forward canopy bar any more; I like being a little further from the instrument panel.

cuFwJCoUSgtBvj1LhDCDog_l17rcPUtKlNPFC_L3rsuzQrt7-r8XiP8ayNedN8HNE4Ms6qWztUg5kMr2H18OfRCx-umvwwHlDaH08uGDMbm8D2yZVQ6Llp3GTmVuBeZ0KcwpXgtZZN3HGP-l8amM_vv8Cfb2-Q8a0QAW24K_7T7GEH2Lpv34X2yP41pJArBOz-lAwdsvZOYlj10mFOt2CM59eyqBTMILLU9cy5Omi66L8JdYLlVrDWAb1IffdGiEeUM5I73y6Ct7p26wUpux1CcdYHr-I4eyHZl52x2UVXskNI_701FX9nyC9f2-u8vvf28C7YadlNRAa_xHZx2NGUNndWmCvtARPkx6XdsbajZgHqu8388F2DWVLVx7uy9e4Ip2IEM1yqLQRHcNEFzMM2ZlPSFE3mFRXTx_4W9h903q8Uey7bmemTziQMCRw_qcYy0KlsPRXpjxqbXRuE8sS9Pr8VcbenOExZBl5TAbFNo_jJNjgTbYWhK2GdroZBI7Ha-g2xrv8pbRmIyZxbvON0N-3szfEJq9ckKPJ-Yz1LG6rI7grzuMvRqpTUSyMNhoslpdoSFUQHgWNnwWGdmZQPPcLaEFuFu1xziwk1JyhDSwWUmifJbIyFyL-AxplJSxt46K-DY2zuny5D68DrRZRmPHzIxLB0RliaGHwMp-z0PWKLrsxmsFH_f9RM71GgV0s-pFkhgFo42Ac_t_7Q0EtduG=w1380-h1841-no

Last edited:
Back