What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Raising rudder pedals

pjc

Well Known Member
I have read extensively about installation and adjustments to the stock Vans hanging rudder pedals.

In my specific RV6 I would like to raise the pedal bars to make it easier to keep off the brakes during ground handling. I like the relative positions of the rudder cross bar and brake pedals, but both are too close to the floor for my big size 12 feet.

Some report accomplishing this by using an additional solid plastic (Delrin? UHDPE?) block between the stock bearing blocks (F-6116 I believe) and the longerons. This is straightforward, but it is not clear to me how to handle the center bracket (F-6118) in this case. No problem at build time (the required mod to F-6118 is pretty obvious). But how about on completed/flying aircraft?? Has anyone done this mod after the center brace F-6118 was fabricated and installed ?

I have a flying early (1992) SB built very much ?to the plans? if it matters ....

Thanks in advance, for any guidance/suggestions.
Peter

Raising the rudder bar also raises the rudder cable which might require you to locate and drill new holes for the cable to pass through, at least to a point. Although the bushings will tolerate some side load the straighter your cables run the better.
I locate my feet to the side of the rudder bar keeping the sole of my foot on the verticle bar and then rotate my foot to get to the brakes. It is really quite seamless and easy to adapt too. However, I am size 10 feet, not 12.

Back