What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

4 seats in an RV-6?

Airnord05

I'm New Here
I was talking to a friend today who said he saw an RV-6 or 7 at Oshkosh with two seats facing rear in the baggage compartment. The rear panel was moved back to allow more leg room and the owner claimed he could carry 4 adults with no weight issues. Has anyone else seen or heard about this? Is it legal to do this? The plane was a tail dragger. The pilot flew it into Oshkosh with 4 people on board.

RV6 2+2

Thank you so much for posting about the 4 seat RV6! I couldn't find anything about it by the usual search methods. I'm now wondering if I could make some sort of 3rd seat arrangement in my stock RV6. At least for a child.

Cessna made a child seat for the baggage compartment of the c152, so it's not like it's completely unheard of.

I think the 2nd biggest issue would be figuring out the belt attach points.

The 1st biggest issue would be getting a kid to sit back there without blowing chunks, because it seems like visibility would be pretty limited :)

Umm...

"...The rear panel was moved back to allow more leg room and the owner claimed he could carry 4 adults with no weight issues..."

Really?

The specs on the -6 say empty weight should be around 965 lb with a gross around 1600 lbs.

The info card says 1400 lb empty and 2100 gross.

The -6 carries 38 gallons of gas, or about 228 lbs.

So, by the numbers, 2100-1400-228=472...472 lbs divided between 4 people. Two small adults and two small children.

At 1/2 tanks, 586 lb available so you are still at two small adults and a couple of children.

More importantly, consider how the structure handles loading that is now more than 30% over the original design numbers. Consider the dynamic gust loading as well. Wonder what Van thinks...

I guess it works fine...until it doesn't...

Sorry, I wouldn't put my family in there

yep...

I am not opposed to putting the experiment in experimental, heaven knows, my-10 has tons of mods...however...this is messing with the core design of the aircraft.

It's one thing if the builder has the knowledge and capability to make a mod like this and be reasonably assured that the design is still sound. Completely another to use TLAR Engineering and then ask 3 other souls to bet their lives on it...

Disclaimer: I do not know the builder or his background, he may very well have properly engineered this mod. In that case, good for him. I would, however, still question the safety of the passengers in the event of an accident...

In my 6A (FP prop w/ 20# crush plate), I can't get more than 50#'s back there without hitting the aft CG limit and pitch control getting unpleasant in landing operations. You would need a lot more weight up front to allow this arrangement, further pushing past the max gross. I guess this would explain the extra 300 #'s of empty weight beyond normal.

Larry

"...The rear panel was moved back to allow more leg room and the owner claimed he could carry 4 adults with no weight issues..."

Really?

The specs on the -6 say empty weight should be around 965 lb with a gross around 1600 lbs.

The info card says 1400 lb empty and 2100 gross.

The -6 carries 38 gallons of gas, or about 228 lbs.

So, by the numbers, 2100-1400-228=472...472 lbs divided between 4 people. Two small adults and two small children.

At 1/2 tanks, 586 lb available so you are still at two small adults and a couple of children.

More importantly, consider how the structure handles loading that is now more than 30% over the original design numbers. Consider the dynamic gust loading as well. Wonder what Van thinks...

I guess it works fine...until it doesn't...

Sorry, I wouldn't put my family in there

Last edited:
Thank you so much for posting about the 4 seat RV6! I couldn't find anything about it by the usual search methods. I'm now wondering if I could make some sort of 3rd seat arrangement in my stock RV6. At least for a child.

You mean like this?
Our son has been flying with us since before he was born.

We bought a set of Peltor Child headsets and they worked great.

The first year he was in a snuggy.

(Click to enlarge)

As he grew, he was relegated to the baggage compartment:
The+Family+-+Copy.JPG

At around five, he outgrew the baggage compartment and moved up front, along with his car seat.
IMG_3750.JPG

His headsets are RA250 Child's Headset that I sent off to Headsets Inc. and had converted to ANR.

The real trick was finding a booster seat that would fit in the baggage compartment and in the right seat without interfering with the controls.

At five and a half he no longer wants to ride in the booster seat (in the plane) and two extra seat cushions get him high enough to see over the side.

Last edited:
The 4 seat RV6 C-GZII has many modifications to it that make more like a fat Harmon Rocket than stock RV.
.032 wing skins thru out, .040 side cabin panels, stretch of the fuselage, strengthened longerons, HR style titanium landing gear, strengthened mount, to mention the basics.
There are a few Super 6's around, this is the only one with this seating arrangement as far as I know. It's control feel is very RV like but a bit heavier & more stable. The owner's wife flies aerobatics in it!
& yes, they are small people.

Super six

Just to correct some info. This Super six has not flown to Oshkosh with 4 adults in it. We have had 4 persons in it one time only, 2 lighter up front and 2 kids in the back for a short trip around Calgary many years ago. The son was the one in the back when he was a small kid. Now days it is a 2 seat plane with a nice cargo area. And the wife have been upgrading to a Christen Eagle for the aerobatic flying.

Best regards, Bengt

You mean like this?
Our son has been flying with us since before he was born.

We bought a set of Peltor Child headsets and they worked great.

The first year he was in a snuggy.

As he grew, he was relegated to the baggage compartment:

At around five, he outgrew the baggage compartment and moved up front, along with his car seat.

His headsets are RA250 Child's Headset that I sent off to Headsets Inc. and had converted to ANR.

The real trick was finding a booster seat that would fit in the baggage compartment and in the right seat without interfering with the controls.

At five and a half he no longer wants to ride in the booster seat (in the plane) and two extra seat cushions get him high enough to see over the side.

Hi Bill! This is just what we've been looking for!! Our first little one is on the way and I want to take wife and baby along on flights. One question though.... What did you do in terms of seat belt / restraining device for the booster seat...? Where and how did you anchor it?

Much appreciated! Martin

Back