What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aileron Trim Problem

bob888

Well Known Member
I have the stock Vans aileron trim installed and it works well but the spring(s) are rubbing against the aileron pushrod and I am concerned that eventually the steel spring may damage the aluminum pushrod. I have bent the arm of the controller but still have the problem. Anyone with a good solution? What about a strip of teflon tape on the pushrod to protect it?

I have read about this and plan to look for it once flying. I would probably try some UHMW tape that vans sells. I understand it is for friction applications, but don't know how long it would hold up.

Larry

I have talked to one builder who did have his rubbing, and eventually it did wear through or nearly through the pushrod. That said, after talking to him, I got worried about mine and inspected them closely and could not find any rubbing. So I have to think that depending on the bending of your spring mounts on the pushrod, or the actuator arm end, you may or may not see this issue. The tape may prevent some wearing, but I would suggest that you look closely at it and try to actually determine what isn't lining up right so that you can bend things as necessary to get them not to rub. I think that some combination of the rotation position of the pushrod, and the bend in the arm, should yield a system that doesn't rub.

Back