Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > Rocket
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2018, 06:48 PM

Howard, curious where you got the plenum.

(sorry to drift off-topic.)
N244BJ RV-6 "victim of SNF tornado" 1200+ hrs, rebuilding
N8155F C150 flying
N7925P PA-24-250 Comanche, restoring
Not a thing I own is stock.
Old 11-15-2018, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1R View Post
Rockets loose speed really easy. The big fan on the front is more effective than any speed brake you will ever encounter. Just pull off the power and if that does not slow you fast enough, holding the nose up and a touch of rudder cross up will.

Smokey said it just about right in an earlier post.
In any case after you fly your machine VFR for a while I think it will become a non issue to slow your rocket with ease. They are heavy pigs and slow down a lot easier than a 4 does. Just pull power.

The weldment of the flap arms to the bell- crank torque tube is the weak link and the actuator arm to the same torque tube. Ask yourself what would happen if one of the flap arm tubes broke off the torque tube from overload/overspeed in IMC what the result would be. There is no need to ever go there.
The design of the F1 flap system is different than a RV, but here's a data point. A guy oversped his flaps in a F1 Rocket a few years ago and the bolt securing the torque tube to the flap motor broke, abruptly retracting both flaps. That's a lot better outcome than one flap retracting with the other remaining extended, and he was lucky. I don't think anyone could depend on that happening a second time.

Last edited by molson309 : 11-15-2018 at 07:02 PM.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:27 PM

It’s a fun thread we can drift. Grant Semanske in Seattle (he builds Jeff Lavelle’s Reno package). Dave Bectold did the CF layups, he’s built over 30 Glasairs. 30! He’s the Art Chard of Glasairs. Retired from Boeing with tons of 787 experience. It’s a TIO540AE2A twin turbo with larger turbos and intercoolers too. Plenum top is CF too. Cowling CF, belly panel, seats, on and on CF. That stuff itches way more than eglass. Use lotion to keep fibers out of your skin pores, no itching.

Last edited by hrhodes2@comcast.net : 11-15-2018 at 08:42 PM.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:45 PM

cool. I met Jeff last year while visiting with friends at Payne field in Seattle and had an hour-long conversation with him over his go-fast twin-turbo setup. Your engine looked familiar.
N244BJ RV-6 "victim of SNF tornado" 1200+ hrs, rebuilding
N8155F C150 flying
N7925P PA-24-250 Comanche, restoring
Not a thing I own is stock.
Old 11-15-2018, 09:05 PM

Grant learned a bunch on that setup, this one is a little prettier, both are very functional. This has all the internal and external A/I. Jeff would have crushed at Reno this year but nose gear doors didn’t close all the way. Smoked engine pushing 90 + inches of boost.

Back on rocket topic

https://www.dropbox.com/s/09qmkxy68g...%20AM.jpg?dl=0

Last edited by hrhodes2@comcast.net : 11-15-2018 at 09:17 PM.
Old 11-16-2018, 03:10 AM

Default It was designed that way:

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson309 View Post
The design of the F1 flap system is different than a RV, but here's a data point. A guy oversped his flaps in a F1 Rocket a few years ago and the bolt securing the torque tube to the flap motor broke, abruptly retracting both flaps. That's a lot better outcome than one flap retracting with the other remaining extended, and he was lucky. I don't think anyone could depend on that happening a second time.
To be specific, Mark is talking about the Evo system, not the Sport wing system. The Evo system has AN3 bolts attaching the drive arm, and both actuator arms, to a central torque tube. The design was to have a single weak point (drive arm thru-bolt) that would fail if the pilot over-sped the system. Turns out it worked. It took a ~20KT overspeed with full flaps, and engine at full power, to get it to fail, but the failure caused no problems.

This system will allow the operator to drop about 1 of flap at 140KIAS to slow down, as required. 1/2 flap is available at 120KIAS; full flap at 100KIAS. Keep in mind the Evo flaps are the Fowler type, so the drag and lift numbers are different when compared the the plain type on the Sport wing.

"Not everyone needs a Rocket. Some folks, however, shouldn't live life without one.
You know who you are."
Budd Davisson, 1997
Old 11-18-2018, 08:16 PM

I have been out in the Rocket a couple of times this past week, and I had a chance to fly a couple of LPV approaches with the flaps up, and it seems to work just fine to start down the glide slope at about 15 inches and 120 kts. Then level off at the minimums, with throttle to idle, and put in full flaps as soon as it slows to 85, and land. It wants to touch down at about the 1500 ft mark..

I like this approach procedure for two reasons, 1 it keeps the flaps up and makes the missed approach simpler, and 2. It keeps me from worrying about over speeding the flaps on the way down the glideslope.