VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 02-23-2011, 08:33 AM

Here is my first attempt at my panel. I am not sure whether to keep the Grand Rapids EIS 4000 engine monitor on the panel or mount it remotely behind the panel. Any comments appreciated.

Thomas Velvick
Goodyear, AZ (KGYR)

2017 Donation sent.

N53KT RV-6a Flying
N7053L RV-4 Wife's RV (RV4chick's blog)
N56KT RV-4 Finishing
Old 02-23-2011, 08:38 AM

As long as you have room for it, I would leave it there, My panel is so full if I add anything else I'll have to move it, but I'll still want to keep it visible.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvator51 View Post
Here is my first attempt at my panel. I am not sure whether to keep the Grand Rapids EIS 4000 engine monitor on the panel or mount it remotely behind the panel. Any comments appreciated.

Thomas, for what it is worth my own view is that you should have the steam driven ASI up nearer to your line of sight if you ever land in difficult gusty places. You can see how I did it here.

Normally I use the AFS, but on approach my eyes always move back to the ASI because I have a difficult cross wind gusty strip, and the ASI is more reactive to the gusts. You might get a sense of how it is useful to keep the corner of your eye on it on approach if you look at the second video down here. On this occasion it was very calm.

The engine stuff, navigation, radio and transponder are all secondary to flying the plane.

G-IKON Build log here , or Index to blog here.
RV4 #4478 - Flying since 16th June '08. First flight video here.
Circuits at my 1000' strip.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:08 PM

Two ideas I have. I fly VFR, short trips on small fields, some acro etc, and I just want real gauges for flight instruments (although I see lots of benefits with glass). Comments?

This is the first version

And one with XTreme EFIS EMS.
RV-4 #4520, Slow built
B Svingen
RV-4 Project Log
Onex Project Log

EAA Chapter 573 Norway
Old 05-23-2011, 01:23 PM

Two ideas I have. I fly VFR, short trips on small fields, some acro etc, and I just want real gauges for flight instruments (although I see lots of benefits with glass). Comments?

Well.. with all the digital instruments you have, why not just put in glass. It seems to me you ¾ of the way there anyway.
Slow Build
Last 90%
Tyler, Texas
Old 05-23-2011, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyintejas View Post

Well.. with all the digital instruments you have, why not just put in glass. It seems to me you ¾ of the way there anyway.
I know I have been scratching my head alot about this. If someone could make a glass box with radio, transponder, EMS, all the things you do not need to monitor except every now and then, I would buy it promptly But I want large analog gauges (round dials) for ASI, VSI, Alt and RPM, I do not need a huge glass horizon with some numbers scattered around.

MGL is developing black boxes (radios and transponders) with no buttons or dials, to be interfaced with glass, so it is coming, but it probably will take some years ?
RV-4 #4520, Slow built
B Svingen
RV-4 Project Log
Onex Project Log

EAA Chapter 573 Norway
Old 06-12-2011, 12:31 PM

Default N845GW

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 10-29-2011, 09:24 PM

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lylehef...n/photostream/http://www.flickr.com/photos/lylehef...n/photostream/
Old 11-06-2011, 02:48 PM

Default old / new panel on PH-EIL (aka N921MS)

We used the original panel and switches however ´glass perled´ and than powder coated it.

Old:

Too, we took some of the steam gauges out, put a new Dynon D-6, a TruTrack Digiflight VS II (CWS flip switch top left of panel), a mode-S transponder and 2 moving map GPS and a cheap OAT in, re-grouped the engine instruments L/H side and as well did some new labels and here you are (the GPS in the middle will be powered from behind the panel and the cable will go; just playing around with some GPS´es still) ...

New:

Very functional and I like it, Heinz
P.S. ... thought it might make sense to keep the chance for re-establishing the six pack or just the Turn & Bank and the VSI with a smaller GPS in the middle for later ...
c.) bought flying at 51 TT: Vans RV-3A, PH-URZ .... now at 150 hrs (and having fun )

Last edited by Jumbo : 11-14-2011 at 12:27 AM.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:09 PM

Default MY NEW PANEL

For your enjoyment

Here we go, finally posting a picture of the complete panel.

Being flying behind it for 2 months and love it.

Skyview SV-D700 with Pitch & Roll autopilot.

( Picture taken with my cellphone (not the best ) enroute from CYMX to CYRQ, 3000', 142 KTS TAS..and smooth as glass...

Bruno
rv4@videotron.ca

p.s:This link give you another look of the panel and the A/C..
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...111271029.jpg/

This one shows you the Skyview picture of the flight..

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

----------------------------------------------

Last edited by RV-4 : 12-06-2011 at 09:15 AM. Reason: Thanks for the front page D.R. :-)