What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Kit delivery to Europe, Germany - Procedures, Cost structure

_Alex_

Dear RV community,

i am new to this forum, and i really appreciate to read through very useful and valuable topics.

I intend to start the build of an RV-10. I am located in Germany, near Cologne. I was searching through the internet, and especially this forum for someone who can share the experience in ordering and shipping to Europe.

I plan to do it in following steps:
1. Order just a Empennage kit to start asap the build process.
2. 8 - 12 months later order QB Wings, QB Fuselage, finishing Kit, powerplant, propeller, etc.

So here my questions:
What is the procedure of delivery to EU (Germany)?
Do i have to organise something on my own? What i need to consider?
Which are the cost components of delivery from Van to my Home?
Any advices from your point of view on how to do it better?

In advance thanks a lot for any feedback.
Alex.

Shipping to EU

Dear RV community,

i am new to this forum, and i really appreciate to read through very useful and valuable topics.

I intend to start the build of an RV-10. I am located in Germany, near Cologne. I was searching through the internet, and especially this forum for someone who can share the experience in ordering and shipping to Europe.

I plan to do it in following steps:
1. Order just a Empennage kit to start asap the build process.
2. 8 - 12 months later order QB Wings, QB Fuselage, finishing Kit, powerplant, propeller, etc.

So here my questions:
What is the procedure of delivery to EU (Germany)?
Do i have to organise something on my own? What i need to consider?
Which are the cost components of delivery from Van to my Home?
Any advices from your point of view on how to do it better?

In advance thanks a lot for any feedback.
Alex.
Hi Alex, There are a lot of RV builders in DE. Van's knows how to ship there. There is of course the shipping cost, plus VAT, so the costs are a bit more than if you were in the US.

I'm in CH, so there are differences. If I was starting over, what I would do is say to Van's "Send me *everything* I need to build my RV" and build it as standard as possible. This will get you flying as fast as possible. I doubt any builder has ever done this, since we all know how to do it better than Van, but that's what I would do. Your goals for the build might be different than "get 'er done".

When you order the big kits, order a lot of extra metal - different kinds of angle, sheet of various thicknesses, etc. This will save you shipping cost and time.

Find a local builder and find out what they learned. They would also appreciate adding some heavy items in your big shipment to save on costs.

BTW, Willkommen bei VAF!

Plus 1 to what Micky said ;)

I have done 3 containers with Vans now, they ship everywhere and are very comfortable with what they do. Barbara, Anne Marie and the others in the team do a fine job.

They always have empennage kits on stock and that is easiest air freighted across. Order tomorrow, it will be with you by Friday. Exception is the 10 - just spotted.... The empennage is a big box !The rest, either try and coordinate a container - Barb will advise if there are others in Germany ready to order, or just get the boxes shipped as groupage freight.

Order as much as you can in 1 order, that way you save on the extra costs that come with international shipping in costs and taxes etc. Vans will generally deliver to a port near you, they can arrange direct delivery, but usually that can be done by you more cheaply. All the box sizes and weights are on their website so you can decide whether you can move or you will need assistance. If you know anyone with a handler or tractor, that is all that is needed to offload from a truck.

Drop an email to Barbara

Mike

Last edited:
Hi Alex,

I'm in Montabaur, just a bit south of you. I'm building an RV8a. Drop me a line at [email protected] - you are more than welcome to come by and we can discuss all these questions (and more).

BTW: have you checked the idea of a four seater already with the OUV (German version of the EAA)?

Thilo

I was not expecting to receive such fast feedback from you. It feels good and makes me even more confident. Thank you very much for that all information!

@Mickey, yes i think you are absolutely right by mentioning to build as much as possible according the VANs standard. I am not an aircarft construction engineer, so it is better to stick to the professional standards. Thanks for good advices to order extra metal

@Mike, thats great. Its simple, as i see. I will contact Barbara, may be there are some other guys in Germany ready to order. Now I need to get the construction tools and materials, prepare workshop and train. Also i have read that not all tools, and materials are possible to by in Germany. So i will check with Planetools, or Cleveland tools. I know there also couple companies have pre arranged van's builders kits.

@Thilo, thank you very much!! I will contact you per mail.. Actually i did not contact OUV yet. I need to do this. Bu I know, according to the OUV's yearbook 2015, there are two RV-10's LBA approved, and flying in DE. So, there is at least a chance.

Best regards,
Alex

welcome to your favorite new web site!

Last year RV7 empennage kit was $298 shipping. (rv10 will probably be more as the tail cone is included in the kit) They send it via fedex it was here by the end of the week. Add 19% VAT on top of everything. If you want to talk about things send me a PM or give me your email. Always happy to talk RV...I am about 150km away ;)

Admittedly I shipped to Tasmania and not Europe, but I had a few lessons I learnt the hard way that may be useful. Order at least one square meter each extra of 0.016, 0.020, 0.025, 0.030, 0.040, and 0.063" sheet. If you are building away from the mothership and botch a part you can always fab something out of the raw sheet. It's also handy for making extra enclosures, brackets etc. I'd also get at least 10ft of 3/4x3/4 0.063" angle and five feet of the same in 1/8" for the same reason. Regarding the position of getting everything shipped at once, I'd frankly hold off on the engine and propeller (and of course avionics) until you really need it. I got mine in the original shipment, and it's been two years and I'm now only about the install my engine, and I've been working on this almost full time!! (ok, I'm a little slow). The warranty starts ticking on many of these items as soon as they ship, plus if you wait until EAA Airventure week, Vans offers cracking deals on engines. Besides, you may even change your mind on what engine you want at that stage. When you get the propeller shipped, I'd be leaning toward asking for it to be crated. My Hartzell two blade came in a cardboard box that was very badly damaged, to the extent that Hartzell needed to be called in by Vans to ensure everything was Ok. Other items to get shipped at the same time are two tubes of Torque seal. It's dirt cheap in the states, but super expensive everywhere else as it can't be shipped air. Also think about what primer you are going to use, as it's a good time to get that shipped as well if you can not get it locally.
Good luck with it all.
Tom.

I'm very jealous. What I'd give to have supplies like that in Tasmania. It costs me a small fortune every time I need to ship another sheet of AL from the States.
Tom.

.. yes, thats really cool! Eschbach is only 80 miles away from my home. May be i need to order only the Kit from vansaircraft, and don't care so much about all other stuff (VAT, shipment costs, delivery time). Perfect! But Tom, you are absolutely right. I will wait for sure with the ordering of power plant, propeller, and especially avionics..

may be this information will be useful for someone.

I have ordered the Empennage Kit only. Shipping quote to Cologne airport is $871
I also ordered RV10 Tool Kit from Planetools. Shipping $258 to Cologne airport

Now i am preparing the workshop and waiting for the Kit to start the build.

Hi Alex,
I?m from Austria and I will order the complete RV-10 kit (except Engine and avionics) in a few weeks. I was in Aurora this summer and I?m not sure, if you were there the same day. I spoke with a German guy who was also interested to build the 10. Here in Austria we get a customs exemption for fixed wing aircrafts. This thing took me much time to get but I?m sure that I get it until next week. Do you have a customs exemption?
In Austria I will be the first RV-10 builder so I need to wait for my building permit until I can place my order. Without this permit it?s too risky for me to order such a thing :)
BR
Christian

Hi Christian,

No, i was not aware of any customs exemption, so did not raised a request for that. I went through the formal things and now i have a building permit. Actually I started not to build VS, going through the first page of the manual - 6-2.

How is your current status now? Lets stay in touch.

Hi,
sorry for my late response. In the meantime many things are happened. As I mentioned in a post before, now I got my customs exemption. A month ago I got the complete kit delivered to my workspace (sea freight). The shipping company made the customs for me and they had my exemption with them. The only thing for me to do was to pay taxes and they delivered the kit without paying anything else.
Also the building process has started and now I am still working on the horizontal stabilizer.
@Alex: We should stay in touch that we could help each other if some questions come up. Maybe you can send me a PM that I can get your email address.

Actual experiences

Hi,

I already asked some questions in the General Forum concerning RV9/RV12.
I live in the northern Part of Germany and I?m seriously considering Starrsinn building a RV. Of course a lot questions are answered in the countless threads but I have some special questions concerning the procedures of amateur building/flying here in Germany. Is there anybody who is in the process or finished building in the last months and is willing to share her/his experience?

The focus would be on the contact with Vans, the shipping and import and the most important the coordination/work with OUV (procedures, inspections, costs etc.).

Thank you so much!

Simon

Back