What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

quickbuild transport

burgundyja

Well Known Member
I am the lucky person picking up my qb kit at osh. does any one know if i can fit the fus and wings on a 16 foot by 5foot 6 in flatbed. can i build a wing cradle like the one in classified to hold the wings upright? i have a big suv for all the small parts.

also could someone tell me the dimensions of the fus and wings in the qb kit. vans just has the diminsions of the crated parts

Well you will have to figure out space weight, etc.

All RVs are not the same. You should have a preview plans set and in the worst case you should be able to determine the scale with the full size dimensions of such things as the wingspan then measure and multiply by the scale factor to get the rough full size dimensions of the rest of the plane. I rented a 24" box bed Budget truck to transport mine and there was lots of room in it for the job. If you are building an RV-8 the job will be much easier than if you are building an RV-10. If I had a choice I wouldn't do what you plan to do but If you need to do it then you should be able to determine if it is possible with your preview plans set and your trailer characteristics. Don't skimp on security and protection.

Bob Axsom

In short, no they won't fit. The fuselage kit is 193" long = 16'. I know you said you had a 16' flat deck but I'd bet if you take a tape measure out and measure the usuable area it won't be a the full advertised length. My 17' cube van actually has around 15.9' of usable length

Here is a link to a shipping form from vans that lists all the different RV crates, dimensions, and weights.

http://www.vansaircraft.com/pdf/weights.pdf

probably, but...

I recently received my RV-7 QB fuse & wings. NO FWF or finish kit. SO I can get you some measurements today when I get home. I'm not certain you have enough width at 5'6". Also protection from the elements will be critical. I can send more pics if needed. The fuse isn't 17' long.

kit log pics

Last edited:
sorry

sorry i dont know why i did not say that it is a 8a. the length i think is ok it can hang off the back a few inches if needed. i am woried about the width i would like to build a rack to hold the wings so i think it will be close. so i need to know the width of the 8 fus and the thickness of the wings i think it is called the chord?

Yes, that is chord. You can build a rack to hold the wings vertical, leading edge down, and that should make things fit just fine alongside the fuse of an 8.

Or, better still, you should look into how Vans is planning on transporting the fuse and wings to Oshkosh, if they are using the typical crate setup, just see if they will save them for you to re use when you bring it home.

Mike

Chord is the distance from LE to TE. You want the thickness (superior to inferior surface) of the wings or the chord length?

vans is sending them uncrated with it think it is partain transport. and wing measurment i need would be from the top of the wing "sky side" to the bottom of the wing "ground side" is that the chord? and what is the widest part of the 8 fusalage

RV-7 numbers

I realize you are getting a -8, but here are the numbers for a 7.

Firewall to tail attach length is 14'6". Wings are 10' long, <4' chord and ~9" thick.
RV7130.jpg

With the stand I built, overall thickness of the wings on the stand is 24"
RV7127.jpg

The Fuselage is 44" at the longerons, but each side had a 1.5" lip where the wings attach. Combined width of the fuse and wings on the stand(with a gap for cushioning between them) is 68".
RV7126.jpg

Plus:
1 box 3'x5'x7"
Bundle of angle, tubes 12'x8" dia
And lots of stuff packed in the fuse.

Last edited:
I'm sure that for a few extra bucks (being that you're in MN), Tony would drop it off at your place. Do the math: would you risk your 25K investment for a few hundred $$$?.

Back