What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fastest build by an amature

kevinsky18

Well Known Member
Who here has built their plane the fastest in terms of days from the time they received their emp kit until their first flight.

I suppose to be fair we should break this down in terms of plane type and quick build verse regular slow build.

Prize, as always in aviation, is bragging rights. :D

Don't forget to ask...

First, second, or third build?

I could probably make the next one in 1/2 the time. Even then, it stil wouldn't be any kind of record.

Definitely not an amateur

airguy said:
Van's webpage lists the record as 85 days for a non-prepunched 6.

http://www.vansaircraft.com/public/buildrv.htm

I believe that was the professional builder in Chino (or Corona?) in the early 90's. It was around his 10 th RV. He had made jigs and some "matched hole" parts for sub-assemblies, giving him a different assembly sequence.

Not going into primer wars.... :) ... but, IIRC he used the Akzo primer, and primed all inside surfaces on the parts straight out of the box. He then drilled, dimpled, cut, trimmed and assembled the parts, and then did a touch up of all raw edges with an airbrush or similar. Essentially, no stopping to prime at any stage in the assembly. I seem to remember he also worked 12+ hour days... and I think one was an Oshkosh winner...

gil in Tucson

I just added mine up last night. RV7A I started Sept 30 2005. !9 months.
1065 hours including three tone paint, GNS 430, Blue mountain EFIS, AutoPilot.
1113 lbs.
This came out to working on it 2.5 hours everyday.
I had it inspected tuesday night and the DAR said that it was one of the nicest planes he has seen in several years. This is the first plane I had built.
Sunday is the big day if the weather holds out.

Way To Go Jeff

Jeff,

I love to read of your sucess in your project. Good times and fun gear.
I am sure you will have many hours of fine flying.

Cheers
Jay

jeff beckley said:
I just added mine up last night. RV7A I started Sept 30 2005. !9 months.

Dude ... I started at the same time and I only just got the wings on. I need stop working at work so much. :rolleyes:

-Rick

Yup ...

az_gila said:
I believe that was the professional builder in Chino (or Corona?) in the early 90's. It was around his 10 th RV. He had made jigs and some "matched hole" parts for sub-assemblies, giving him a different assembly sequence.

Not going into primer wars.... :) ... but, IIRC he used the Akzo primer, and primed all inside surfaces on the parts straight out of the box. He then drilled, dimpled, cut, trimmed and assembled the parts, and then did a touch up of all raw edges with an airbrush or similar. Essentially, no stopping to prime at any stage in the assembly. I seem to remember he also worked 12+ hour days... and I think one was an Oshkosh winner...

gil in Tucson
Yes, I seem to remember him telling me that he worked 6 days/week and sometimes 14-16 hours and had a helper.

I am still piddling around over 85 MONTHS!!! on a another one.

James

16 months 2 weeks

Mark Chamberlin built his slow build 7 in 16 months 2 weeks. This included a full time job and some travel for work. He said he could have finished it in less time had he not had to travel during the last 6 months of the build.

He's got well over 100 hours since Dec of '06.

Pre-punched?

RV7Guy said:
Mark Chamberlin built his slow build 7 in 16 months 2 weeks. This included a full time job and some travel for work. He said he could have finished it in less time had he not had to travel during the last 6 months of the build.

He's got well over 100 hours since Dec of '06.
Ahh... but aren't all of the RV-7s pre-punched??

Yeah, they are prepunched to some degree or another. I know Dan's -7 kit wasn't punched as much as mine is.

hours

what about total hours? i am building a 8a. I have 71 hours total and the hs and vs are done and the rudder just has 4 rivets left. cant decide if i want to use 4 blind or buy a tool to drive those 4. i am getting the quickbuild it should be the one on desplay at osh 2007. i hope to fly it to osh 2008. :cool:

Yes I don't think I would count the 85 day build. That's impressive but that's probably two pros guys going at it almost non stop.

I was thinking more of regular amature builders and first kits. Though it would be fun to see the time difference for a second and third build.

Rudy Greyling will win this one hands down. Didn't you see his assembly videos?
His RV-7 built itself in about five minutes.
I still trying to find that option on my order form. :D

Todd C.
Northwest OH
Working toward PPL and dreaming

burgundyja said:
decide if i want to use 4 blind or buy a tool to drive those 4.

If you are talking about the longeron yoke, get one now! You will wonder how you got by without it.

Back