What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Strange starter issue

Darin Watson

Well Known Member
Friend
I have had an intermittent starter issue with a failure to crank. I had thought it was a battery since it was due anyway, but that did not solve the issue. Started first few times then back to same failure to crank. Seems prevelent after flying and say fueling when the engine heat soaks for 15 min. last week I replaced the solenoid, still not it. checked all connectios etc. The starter is a skytec 149-NL.

Thoughts?

Starter issues

Hi,
I had the exact issues u are dealing with. And this was with a brand new out of the box... wait for it Skytec 149-NL. I went through all of the troubleshooting steps outlined in their manual. Called Skytec, sent it in for evaluation. They couldn't reproduce the issues but sent me a new replacement. No issues since. This company is one of the better ones to deal with and so I will use their starters on my planes. Of course YMMV
Tim

I had a problem similar to that and it was a broken lug on the starter itself; the case had cracked internally and you couldn't see it but the lug wiggled like a loose tooth. They replaced the starter for me; great people. I've also seen in other threads here where the internal solenoid fails causing similar symptoms.

I recently had a similar problem of intermittent starting. The troubleshooting tests on the skytech website were inconclusive. After speaking to a skytech tech,we decided to send the unit in for inspection. I was of course hesitant to send it in since we could not identify if the starter was the problem. As it turned out, a broken weld in the solenoid was the cause of my issue. $200 later for a completely overhauled starter and I'm back in action.

On a side note, fixing the starter actually solved another problem I was having. My voltage readout to my GRT Efis was indicating 13.5 volts whereas putting a meter directly to my battery in flight indicated 14.2 showing the alternator was charging. It's weld in the solenoid must of created enough resistance for it to show in my volt meter.

On a side note, fixing the starter actually solved another problem I was having. My voltage readout to my GRT Efis was indicating 13.5 volts whereas putting a meter directly to my battery in flight indicated 14.2 showing the alternator was charging. It's weld in the solenoid must of created enough resistance for it to show in my volt meter.

Huh? The only time there is any current going to the starter is when you turn the key or push the button to start the engine, so I cant figure out how
your starter repair would fix your voltage indication. The slightly low voltage on the EFIS is completely normal if you happen to have wired your plane per the Aeroelectric Connection Z-13/8 diagram, where the normal current path passes through a voltage reducing diode. There can also be a slight voltage drop at the efis itself due to use of internal diodes to keep the power from flowing back out of the efis when there is more than one power input and a backup power source is wired in.
erich
erich

Perhaps it's coincidence. I really don't know other than my voltage issue was resolved by installing the new/overhauled starter.

Back