What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Preamp for Flightcom 403mc music input from iPad

Darin Watson

Well Known Member
Friend
So it appears from searches on this site that others have determined that playing music off your iPad there is an issue getting enough volume due to the lack of a preamp in the intercom box. I have found the same; iPad 3 not enough volume where as iPhone 5 no problem.

Has anyone sourced a nice little board that essentially you put power to and music lines through?

IPAD Music

I don't know about the Flightcom 403 but I recently installed a Garmin GTR 200 radio that has a built in intercom with a music input you can wire into the rear harness. I ran the music input wire to a side panel and connect it to the IPAD Mini with a standard cable with 3.5mm male jacks on both ends. I have to enable the music with a button on the radio then select the music from the IPAD and it plays through the intercom.

As you know, the IPAD also has Bluetooth so if you have Bluetooth enabled headsets you don't need any wires. I only have one Bluetooth headset (AKG AV100) so if I have a passenger we use the cable from the mini to listen to music.

Sound clarity and volume is excellent in either mode with no external amps of any kind.

Oly

Back