What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip-up slider

ccsmith51

Well Known Member
Does anyone have a web site where they have documented the retrofit of a slider to a tip-up slider? The last thread I found on VAF on this is 2010. And I didn't see any sites listed.

I'm interested in making this mod to the RV-6 I am buying so I can easily get my camping gear in the baggage area.

Thanks,

No pictures, no threads, but it's easy.

Notch each rail 60 degrees included and 3/4 inch deep with the bottom of the notch a 1/16 radius. Set the center 11 1/2 inches aft of the roll bar. Fiddle with this a bit to made sure the latch handle clears the roll bar when tipped.

Notch the t-rail an inch or more fore or aft of where the slider block sits with the rollers just aft of the notch and the brackets are poised to tip into the notch. The idea here is to prevent disengaging the slider and tipping simultaneously because it takes careful aim while lifting to assure the brackets pivot into the notches; otherwise, you bend the rails.

Make a prop rod from 3/16 music wire spanning between a canopy frame pin block and a drilled out rivet in the square tube canopy frame above it.

Radius the forward lower edge of the side skirts 3/8" so they don't dig into the sill.

John Siebold

tip up slider

I installed the Meski kit on my 6A and it's one of the best mods you can do. Loading from the outside is huge. Very easy to do.
Good luck

I just finished my JR Engineering install. It was an easy retrofit just follow the directions. The components are first rate, anodized and everything fits. Works great and so much easier to load. also the feature that allows the canopy to slide back a couple of inches for ventilation is very nice as well.

+1 for the JRW version. Installed about 18 months ago and really makes getting stuff in and out a breeze, especially on a tail dragger where it is nice and low. One recommendation on modifying the tee rail is to leave a little at the back so that if you choose to taxi canopy full open the slider is still locked in. Hopefully you get the gist of it below:

| |
| |
\ /
| |
_| |_
| |
| |

Back