What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

QB fuselage Crate

kevinsky18

Well Known Member
I needed a van to move with. I figured I would buy one big enough that when I wanted to pick up my kit I could use it for that as well. I bought and purchased a 17' Cube van.

The largest crate is the fuselage crate at 193" = 16' 1"

I just measured the box of my cube van. The actual Length of the box is 187" that's 15' 7" I lost over a foot somewhere. . .

How in the heck am I going to squeez this crate in there? What's in the fuselage crate? Any chance there are some extra items that could be removed to shorten up the crate by 6"?

I'm preaty sure I need the crate or a similiar sturdy frame as I'll need to stack other crates ontop in order for everything to fit. So taking the Fuselage out of the crate may not be an option. If i do, what are the full dimensions of the fuselage?

kevinsky18 said:
I needed a van to move with. I figured I would buy one big enough that when I wanted to pick up my kit I could use it for that as well. I bought and purchased a 17' Cube van.

The largest crate is the fuselage crate at 193" = 16' 1"

I just measured the box of my cube van. The actual Length of the box is 187" that's 15' 7" I lost over a foot somewhere. . .

How in the heck am I going to squeez this crate in there? What's in the fuselage crate? Any chance there are some extra items that could be removed to shorten up the crate by 6"?

I'm preaty sure I need the crate or a similiar sturdy frame as I'll need to stack other crates ontop in order for everything to fit. So taking the Fuselage out of the crate may not be an option. If i do, what are the full dimensions of the fuselage?

How about taking the door off and rigging a tarp at the back leaving the crate hanging out a few inches?

Replace the door after the transport.

just brain-storming here given the parameters of your problem,

John

Thought about that. Actually the door is a roller door so I can just leave it in the up position.

However, it's a long drive back and I anticipate a few overnight stops. I'd really prefer that the back was secured shut to prevent kids from running off with some of the smaller crates like the EMP. Also I'm sure to hit some rain and other weather along the way as I'll be driving up the west cost. I'd rather not soak the crakes with salted rain water.

Also when I get home the Van will act as a storage unit for parts that I'm not going to be working on first thing, such as the fuselage. Again a closed and locked door would be ideal.

Last edited:
Talk to Van's. They have seen everything. They can load you up without a crate and save you some $$ that way. That would more-than pay for a structure to fit above the fuse to stack things on. When I got my -7 there was about 8-12 inches at each end between the firewall/tail and the end of the crate. That might be enough to let it fit in your van even though (according to Van's) the -8 is 8 inches longer than the -7

Jim

When you talk to Van's, see if you can talk directly with the guys who load you up. When I picked up my QB fuse, I followed Van's instructions (website, order form, I don't remember which) & rented the van they said. Got there and the loading guys said I didn't need one that big; the instructions were for guys picking up QB fuse & wings; I was getting only the fuse.

From having a cube without a lock on the door...

If you back an open truck up to a brick wall no one can get in.

Who sold you a 16ft truck and told you it was a 17? I'd take issue.

A bit late now to take issue. It was a private sale that happend three months ago. Partly my fault for not double checking the measurments. Also 17' is relative and that may be based on the length of the frame and well once you add walls and all that jazz you lose length so maybe it was an honest mistake.

At anyrate I think I can make everything fit. I'd just rather have a definate plan before I go there to pick things up.

Is there enough room to haul it at an angle?

...could always take a sawzall and cut a hole in the back of the cab and stick it up in the passengers seat. (photos please)

Todd
Northwest OH

It's a cube van so the cargo section is seperated from the cab so just pulling the seat wouldn't work. Also the cab is neither the same height nor width of the cargo area so I doubt the crate would fit even if there was a hole.

Also there is a question of resale vale and whether I would be able to seal water tight the holes in the walls of both the cargo area and cab after cutting them.

tongue in cheek

Just joking about cutting a hole in the cab.
Who needs resale? Since you're building your own plane you must be wealthy, right?
I'll leave you alone now.

Todd
Northwest OH
Thinking about RV-10

Back