What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Removing flap tape

olyolson

Well Known Member
Friend
The flap tape on my-8 was installed on the top of the flap many years ago and needs to be removed as it has turned yellow and brittle with age. I plan on taking the flaps off and doing it on the workbench and putting flap tape on the inside top rear skin instead.

I have heard of a sanding wheel you can attach to a drill that has rather soft bristles that won?t hurt paint but I am not familiar with it. Anyone know where I can get one? I can do it by hand a little a a time but it comes off in tiny pieces and would take quite a while doing it that way. Is there another method that would work?

Thanks

Something to consider: After you get the flaps off, take a look at the underside of the top wing skin above the tape location. If you see any scratching, that's what you'll eventually see on the flap top skin where it contacts the new tape.

I?ve had good luck using a heat gun (sparingly) to first soften up the tape. Get a corner up then slowly pull away applying heat as you go. Not too much heat. Start off with not enough heat and work up to what you need. You will quickly figure out what does the trick. With care the underlying paint comes out perfect.

Clean up the tape residue with you choice of goo remover.

Carl

This:

Something to consider: After you get the flaps off, take a look at the underside of the top wing skin above the tape location. If you see any scratching, that's what you'll eventually see on the flap top skin where it contacts the new tape.

The only purpose of flap tape that I can tell is to protect the paint on the flap. It?s not required to make the flap operate, and it would take a lot of years to wear away the underside of the wing skin. The tape is very soft (compared to aluminum), and at least out here in the west, it will pick up all sorts of grit - you?re making sandpaper essentially. So decide what you want to scratch before you apply it to one side or another.

Two of our RV?s have stainless tape on the flaps - the third will get it when I get motivated to take the yellowing tape off.....

Heat gun, plastic scraper, carefully.

This is the best commercial adhesive remover I've found. I buy gallons on eBay to remove adhesive from truck bodies after vinyl wrap removal. Turns adhesive into something like slime, which can be removed with a plastic scraper.

http://www.rapidtac.com/rapid-remover.html

Good luck with the removal.

I put the tape on the underside of the wing, not on the flap. Both the tape and the flap have held up well.

Keep in mind, my plane is a -9 with its slotted flaps. My flap does not slide against the tap like a shortwing RV's flaps might.

Flap tape

Thanks for the great replies. That eraser is exactly what I was looking for, heard great results.

The flap tape on my-8 was installed on the top of the flap many years ago and needs to be removed as it has turned yellow and brittle with age. I plan on taking the flaps off and doing it on the workbench and putting flap tape on the inside top rear skin instead.

I have heard of a sanding wheel you can attach to a drill that has rather soft bristles that won?t hurt paint but I am not familiar with it. Anyone know where I can get one? I can do it by hand a little a a time but it comes off in tiny pieces and would take quite a while doing it that way. Is there another method that would work?

Thanks

Instead of removing the flap, first try just disconnecting the link and working with the flap still attached. It is secured, and at a good working position.... it worked for me.

Heat, and then a lot of goo gone.

Flap tape

Warren,

If I do that is there still enough room to get underneath the rear skin to put the flap tape underneath?

Adhesive

Removal - no magic elixir needed

Heat gun to loosen the adhesive then pull off the bulk.

Then cut strips of plain flat paper towel, like Viva, a little wider than the adhesive. Lay on two layers and wet with mineral spirits, then take lighter fluid and put a stripe down the middle full length. Cover it with aluminum foil and leave it for 4 hours.

The trick is to lay the towels in segments butted together, then remove in a couple of segments at a time so the rest can stay covered. The adhesive will stick to the lower layer, and you can use the upper layer (still wet) to wipe off the remaining film and use additional dry towel to as you go.

It is a very low labor process. It took ~20 min to cover and 15 min to remove a side. No risk with this method. May cup of mineral spirits, and an oz of lighter fluid.

Warren,

If I do that is there still enough room to get underneath the rear skin to put the flap tape underneath?

Yes, the flap will swing out of the way and you will have access. When you are ready to connect the flap, just hold something thin and ridged under the skin and lift the flap.

Once the actuator linkage is disconnected, it takes all of a minute to remove the flap. To me it would be much easier to do this job on the workbench.

Back