What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

rudder and stabilator gust locks

dick seiders

Well Known Member
I know I've seen a number of these on the blog some time ago. Am ready to build a set , but see no reason to start from scratch with all the good designs out there. Appreciate any pics designers care to send. Thanks so much
dick seiders 120093 65 hrs

Rudder Locks and Wheel Chocks

RudderLocks100_1385.jpg

WHEELCHOCKS100_1381.jpg

These were made based upon others ideas. Simple, light weight. I store them in the top of the channel behind the seat. Simple, but work.

John Bender

Hey Dick - -

My simple plastic tubing ones are placed over the rudder pedals and put over the floor plate front edge. The 'T' I cut half off goes over the pedal. The notch on the other end 'hooks' over the front of the floor deck you stand on when you get in.

John Bender

Seen before...

Have shown this pic a couple times before, so bear with me. One inch PVC pipe. Make up by trial and error so that it is as tight a fit as possible between the step bulkhead and the rudder pedals before glueing the fittings.
Paint is optional :eek:, I just can't help it.
918132421_FTUjD-M.jpg

For locking the stabilator, I just use the seat belt to hold the control stick like most others. There is concern about tying down the 12 in windy conditions and having the tail hit the ground. See this thread. I am thinking some sort of a telescoping tail brace could be made from PVC pipe and carried in the plane when this might be a concern.

Tony

Last edited:
Gust Lock enhanced (?)

I like it, Tony, but how about this mod to hold the stick forward (never aft).
...OK, OK, I'll paint it. maybe:cool:

30aaxbd.jpg

I am thinking that the T by the stick could be of a larger diameter, and slotted so you could slide the stick in and use a pin to hold it there.

I like it, Tony, but how about this mod to hold the stick forward (never aft).
...OK, OK, I'll paint it. maybe:cool:

30aaxbd.jpg

Back