What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

I wonder why

dustman

Well Known Member
This is just one of those I wonder why questions that one gets. Just wondering why the center section of the 3 has to be made from a bunch of individual parts. why could, it not all be made from one piece of material. You would have one solid piece for the forward bulkhead and one for the rear. I can come up with any number of reasons for not building it as one, but that?s not what I?m after here. Any thoughts?

Here's Mine...

...from 1982.

Wqdgjfxu2A_Gv-xTyPLacA

Of course, I only have one pair... Not sure why. Unless I find the other pair buried in a forgotten pile of parts, I'll probably make a "modern" multi-piece F303 from scratch because they are easier to make than the big pieces.

old style

So the old style center section was one piece for the forward bulkhead and one for the rear bulkhead did not know that the retrofit 3b is three parts for both sides

Katie,

You may want to look at your horizontal tail Rear Spar. The rivets I see in your picture #36 will have to be "flush head" rivets or they will interfere with the fuselage bars that hold the horizontal rear spar to the fuselage. ;)

...from 1982.

Wqdgjfxu2A_Gv-xTyPLacA

Of course, I only have one pair... Not sure why. Unless I find the other pair buried in a forgotten pile of parts, I'll probably make a "modern" multi-piece F303 from scratch because they are easier to make than the big pieces.

Yes, it was my first boo-boo

Katie,

You may want to look at your horizontal tail Rear Spar. The rivets I see in your picture #36 will have to be "flush head" rivets or they will interfere with the fuselage bars that hold the horizontal rear spar to the fuselage. ;)

Yes, I know. That discovery was a major crisis right after I got the spar done, but Paul Dye alleviated some of my fears about the mounting bolt hole clearances & edge distances. :eek:

I decided to leave the universals in place just to keep the spar web tight to the doublers until it's ready to be mounted to the fuselage, then decide which rivets need to be drilled out & replaced. Thank you, though.

Back