What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin A/P operation

Bavafa

Well Known Member
I am rather new with Garmin G3X gear and looking for tips and tricks. My old TT in conjunction with GRT HX was very simple to operate.

Do I understand the Garmin A/P operation correctly that for the Pitch, if it is configured as simplified, it will change pitch as soon as the altitude bug is changed (climb or descend) and if this is the correct understanding.

Currently, mine configured as normal and my method for climbing/descending to the pre-selected altitude is to change the bug to the desired altitude, press VS or IAS and with the big rotary knob select the desire IAS or rate.

Just curious how most people set this at? This is more in the context of IFR flying rather than VFR.

AP

Mehrdad,

It is nice to be able to pre-select the next altitude while flying IFR. There are a couple of places on an approach where it can help you stay ahead.

1) Once you are on altitude for IAF you can go ahead and select the next altitude while waiting to get to the fix. Then I just hit the VS button and give 5-8 down clicks on the wheel once I pass the fix.

2) Once I'm established on the glideslope I go ahead and dial up the Missed Approach altitude. That way if you go missed you can just add power, hit the TO/GA button, and the system will do the rest (and you don't have to get distracted setting the altitude during the go-around process).

Andy

Ditto to Andy

As Andy has said is the way we too seem to use ours the most. I like setting the altitude before I ask it to go. Most of the time I set both the Alt. and the V.S. bug well before I ask it to engage by pushing the VS button. At times when crossing a fix I will set the heading for a new course if there is no flight plan that the FD is following at the time I cross the fix. With the with the Atl. pre-select and Vs bug already set this makes the change a simple twist of a nob of the heading bug. You will get used to it and how you want it to work for you, but yes it will take some time and practice.
Hope this helps, Yours, R.E.A. III # 80888

C'mon out to Savannah and I'll take you flying in the -9A.

Too bad that you can't get an LODA for avionics training, even though you can get a LODA for airplane transition. These days, 35% of homebuilt accident airplanes have glass cockpits...

Ed

PS. Not sure how you set the V/S bug when you're not in that mode. That same wheel also controls airspeed bug and pitch (no bug). Need to go try that...

Thank you Andy and Robert.

Do you know if it is possible to use it in this fashion only that the system will use your pre-configured VSpeed or airspeed that we set in the configuration? In another word once you push VS, it will start the climb or descend?

Back