What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

NC14 info

jfeighny

I'm New Here
Looking at a trip to NC, usually go to KHKY, but noted a little field near Boone, NC14.
Any RVers have experience with this field?
"2700x40, transient welcome".
Thanks
Jim
N358JR
KFDK

NC14

Good question. I'd like to know too. Heading there over New Year's, may fly if the weather permits.

KMRN

Boone is not bad but a bit tricky. Sometimes in a cloud and they charge you a ramp fee.

Or you could come see us at the most friendly GA airport I have ever been to, Foothills Regional.

NC14

Just looked it up on Foreflight.

Found this listed about the FBO in Foreflight.

"Landing fee is $15 for airplanes, $20 for helicopters, and $5 per night tie down fee."

NC14

I regularly go to HKY, great folks, reasonable if not cheap gas. Access to rental cars and adjacent to Hwy 321 which goes up to Blowing Rock, Boone area. I've never tried to go into Boone and for some reason didn't even notice it was there. HKY has two runways, approaches, tower and a nice museum on the field. Been to Foothills KMRN too but not lately, understand things are going well over there.

Boone is a good field and located very convenient to the town and many attractions and scenic areas. No gas available last time I was there earlier this year and the grass adjoining the runway is not usually maintained and can get long and thick which is not suitable for parking or taxiing. Sometimes it is not attended. :D

Any updates on Boone, NC (NC14)
I am planning to go visit family in Boone next week. Just looking for a PIREP.
Thanks,
Chuck

I flew in to Boone last Thanksgiving to drop something off with a friend. Narrow and the surface is not great, but got in and out without a problem. Light winds when I went, so was able to land toward the mountain and depart the opposite way. Not attended when I arrived and I could never get an answer at the telephone number listed as a contact. I did not see any parking. We just stopped on the ramp for the short time we were there.

I fly into Ashe County regularly. No landing fee or tie down overnight fee if you buy fuel. You can contact Ashe County Ford and get a rental car dropped off if needed. Absolutely beautiful area. It’s not far from Boone. Pm if you need any other info.

Back