What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

I Got My PPL! Graduation Treat!

Way cool!!! You mean I am not the only crazy one. Everyone in my family thinks I am a nut for building a plane. Let alone before I even know how to fly.

Good job, and congratulations on the accomplishment. I wondered where you went. I follow your build videos on YouTube. They have been a big help.

God willing and if the creek don't rise, I'll join you some day.

All that Decathlon time will be a great experience builder for the RV. Then, when you're ready to fly the -7, a little transition training will be just what you need -- if you've been able to keep up your flying skills while building.

You'll probably be flying your -7 from the left seat, so just for practice, fly left hand stick some in the Decathlon.

Congrats!

Ed

All that Decathlon time will be a great experience builder for the RV. Then, when you're ready to fly the -7, a little transition training will be just what you need -- if you've been able to keep up your flying skills while building.

You'll probably be flying your -7 from the left seat, so just for practice, fly left hand stick some in the Decathlon.

Congrats!

Ed

Or you could put a left hand throttle in the 7 that works with the center throttle! My buddy did that in his 6, where the center push pull cable goes to the left throttle lever!

Thanks everyone!
On to my IFR & CPL

I think duel throttle is the way to go for sure! center and LH

Seams like a lot of parasitic drag does it make for a stiff throttle?

Last edited:
Seams like a lot of parasitic drag does it make for a stiff throttle?
If you have good cables and smooth routing, you won't notice the extra drag. But the throttle at the end of the chain will have more hysteresis in it's operation, due to the stackup of slop in the system.

I think the only way around this, would be to switch to a rigid system for the two throttles, that pushes a single cable through the firewall. Something like the flap actuating weldment... You have two arms on one side of the pivot, that actuate the two flaps... They are driven by a single arm. If you turned that around, you could have two throttles, that actuate a single cable forward.

I was thinking of mounting something like that to the front of the spar near the floor, and put one throttle between the seats, and one on the left wall. Both throttles would be roughly where your knees are, and would pivot forward. That would give you a system with minimal hysteresis, and both throttles would have the same feel.

Of course, this will weigh a fair bit more than just using the standard setup. :)

Another possibility: Mount a low profile track to the bottom of the instrument panel, and into the track put a carriage that you mount your throttle on. If you want the throttle in the middle of the panel, slide it to the middle. If you want it on the left, slide it to the left. Just throttle, mind you, not mixture, prop, etc. althoughI suppose that could work too. All the cables would have to get routed to a point midway between your two endpoints, before going through the firewall, to prevent stretching or kinking the cables. The carriage could lock in place with a detent, thumbscrew, center-release pin, etc.

Back