What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GTR 225 intercom problems

oy-rvc

I have installed the Garmin GTR 225 A to meet the 8.33 Khz mandate from 2018 in my RV8. The problem is that because I replaced the SL40 which was smaller in vertical dimension I had to do away with my intercom, and use the built in intercom of the Garmin Radio (yes I wish have purchased a trig or icom that fit the old sl-40 slot, but was not available when I purchased the GTR225). Now the problem is that setting the squelch to even 100 breaks the squelch when airborne. This leave both pilot and passenger with constant and loud background noise so the intercom has to be disabled (I hard wired a switch to disable it). Yes the RV cabins are noisy but with my intercom before I could find a setting where it would not break squelch and it was still possible for the intercom to pickup voice to communicate with passenger. Now with the built in garmin intercom it?s impossible to have the intercom activated. The com part works fine. Its only intercom that?s the issue. I use a zulu 2 headset btw.
What can be adjusted so the intercom does not pickup the cockpit background noice enough to open squelch all the time, when its already adjusted to 100 (which means it also cut off a lot of the voice even when speaking loud)? Is the built in Garmin intercom really that poor or was something not setup properly? I also requested the latest software update from the store where I bought the radio to rule out software issues, but so far only received an older software update which made no difference. I came across this

http://garmin.blogs.com/aviationalerts/2015/05/service-bulletin-1525b-gtr-225gnc-255-software-upgrade-to-display-software-version-211-and-com-softw.html

which looks like Garmin did some software updates on the intercom.
Im about to do some longer trips with my 7 year old daughter, but without intercom to communicate airborne I would not go ahead. Input/help appreciated.

I have installed the Garmin GTR 225 A to meet the 8.33 Khz mandate from 2018 in my RV8. The problem is that because I replaced the SL40 which was smaller in vertical dimension I had to do away with my intercom, and use the built in intercom of the Garmin Radio (yes I wish have purchased a trig or icom that fit the old sl-40 slot, but was not available when I purchased the GTR225). Now the problem is that setting the squelch to even 100 breaks the squelch when airborne. This leave both pilot and passenger with constant and loud background noise so the intercom has to be disabled (I hard wired a switch to disable it). Yes the RV cabins are noisy but with my intercom before I could find a setting where it would not break squelch and it was still possible for the intercom to pickup voice to communicate with passenger. Now with the built in garmin intercom it?s impossible to have the intercom activated. The com part works fine. Its only intercom that?s the issue. I use a zulu 2 headset btw.
What can be adjusted so the intercom does not pickup the cockpit background noice enough to open squelch all the time, when its already adjusted to 100 (which means it also cut off a lot of the voice even when speaking loud)? Is the built in Garmin intercom really that poor or was something not setup properly? I also requested the latest software update from the store where I bought the radio to rule out software issues, but so far only received an older software update which made no difference. I came across this

http://garmin.blogs.com/aviationalerts/2015/05/service-bulletin-1525b-gtr-225gnc-255-software-upgrade-to-display-software-version-211-and-com-softw.html

which looks like Garmin did some software updates on the intercom.
Im about to do some longer trips with my 7 year old daughter, but without intercom to communicate airborne I would not go ahead. Input/help appreciated.

Hello Christian,

That is very unfortunate that the store you bought the radio from is not able to update the software. As you have deduced, many important improvements have occurred, especially related to the internal intercom, so it is important that your unit is updated.

The most recent software versions are COM software version 2.20 (SB 1525B) and Display software V2.12 (SB 1616A).

Garmin Europe aviation customer support should be able to help you out with finding a dealer who will quickly update your software ([email protected], +44 (0) 37 0850 1243), but if you don't receive the support you need there, feel free to contact us by phone or email shown below.

Thanks,
Steve

Christian, any feedback re the use of the intercom? Have you done the update and has it helped?

I'm asking since I also bought a GTR225A to replace my GPS155XL. I have yet to install the COM in my aircraft and still undecided as to use the radio's intercom or the Flightcom 403mc intercom which is built in my panel?

Intercom difficulties with GTR225

I would like to update my GTR225 also. Can anybody please send me the most recent update files by email? I am in Brazil and it is very difficult to get my radio near a Garmin dealer. Thanks. sergio underline leite at hotmail dot com

ok guys, I?ve been using the built-in intercom on the GTR225A for more than 2 months now, and it works perfect :)

Sergio, try to pm g3xpert alias Steve. He has been very helpful for my install.

I'm interested in an update for the GTR225 also. I have the same squelch problem and Garmin says take it to a shop for the update which I refuse to do.

Not sure if it similar to the GTR-200, is there a setting in the user menu for "cockpit noise"? This can be adjusted to normal/high to aid in breaking squelch. Again, this feature is on the lower end GTR-200 unit.

Shawn

Last edited:
Back