What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-3 around Minneapolis, MN

dfm4290

I'm New Here
I,m interested in buying a RV-3.
I would like to make sure I would fit in one.
I,m 6' 2" 215 pounds so I suspect I would be a tight fit in one.
If there is anyone around Minneapolis, MN that would be willing to let me sit in one Id appreciate it.
Thanks
Dale

close but comfortable.

Dale,I am 6' 2" and 270 Lb and do just fine in my -3 Sorry we are not close or you could try mine. Tim

Dale, can't help you find a -3 in MN, but I'm 6-3 1/2", 200 lbs and fit OK in the RV-3. Unless you have extreme proportions, you should be fine. The worst thing you might have to do, if anything, is get a thinner seat cushion. I strongly feel the -3 has a little more head and leg room than the RV-4, which guys your size fly.

Fit.....no problem

Dale, I have no doubt you fit as others have explained. The question that really needs to be answered is, will you be comfortable?

Have you ever slid into a decked kayak (not the sit on top kind)? Until you find a airplane to sit in, that is the closest analogy I can give. I don't have any idea how many times I've slid in and out of a kayak, but when I got in the RV-3 the first time, I thought there was plenty of room. Keep in mind, kayaking tradition is that you don't name your boat, it is considered an extension of the paddler, not a separate entity :D . The Rv-3 feels the same.

At 6'2" I was not really comfortable until I moved the rudder pedals back an inch. If the previous owner was shorter (as was mine), your legs will be overly bent at the knee and push into the bottom of the panel. Having the materials and time to move the pedals toward the firewall may be required before you fly it. On the other end, I have couple inches between me and the sliding canopy. It isn't skimpy on the seat pad either.

best of luck with your search

Thanks for the help.
It sounds like I should have no problem fitting in an RV-3.
Now if I can find some for sale near me.
Hope to be flying soon.
Dale

We have an RV3B located at Holland Airpark Holmen, WI. (36WI). Holmen is about 120 miles south of Minneapolis/St. Paul in the southern part of MN.

Thanks for the help.
It sounds like I should have no problem fitting in an RV-3.
Now if I can find some for sale near me.
Hope to be flying soon.
Dale

All of the above information does not apply to an RV3 with a fuselage tank. If looking at one make sure you try it on for size.

All of the above information does not apply to an RV3 with a fuselage tank. If looking at one make sure you try it on for size.

Mine had the fuse tank and I don't feel it interfered with cockpit/leg room at all...and I'm the 6'-3 1/2" too tall Jones. YMMV

Mine had the fuse tank and I don't feel it interfered with cockpit/leg room at all...and I'm the 6'-3 1/2" too tall Jones. YMMV

I've flown both types back to back many times and let me assure you that entry and exit are a lot different with the fuselage tank. In either case be sure and give it a test fit.
5'11, 170 lbs.

I've flown both types back to back many times and let me assure you that entry and exit are a lot different with the fuselage tank. In either case be sure and give it a test fit.
5'11, 170 lbs.

Right, but I think entry/exit is a little different issue than overall cockpit fit. Yes you have to sorta thread your feet around/under the tank to the rudders getting in, but once down and in the seat, I don't feel the tank is in the way. Of course, nothing here suggests buying an RV-3 sight-unseen.

Back