What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How to create a perfect tray for coating the RV parts.

romanov

Well Known Member
tO3vHp0.jpg

All you need is the box you got from VANs sometimes.
Later you just need piece of fence and 30 screws with
big heads. That's all: isn't it perfect ;-).

Downdraft

Great use for a crate.
You can also bore a 4" hole in it and plumb a bildge blower to a wall dryer vent. Pulls fumes out of the shop. Just an idea. I made one for priming on cold days.
Mine uses cheap baby gates from Wally.

If you're one of those crazy hoarders (like me), you can grab that surplus window screen & throw it across the crate, or a pair of saw horses, or...etc. Excess paint blows right through it, and no risk at all of even the smallest parts falling through.

Romanov-

As you, I made a similar spray box ... with the addition of two box fans and filters to suck the spray gun over-spray down.

All worked well for a few priming sessions until the dried primer/paint buildup inside the box began flying up and getting onto the parts being sprayed ... not a big deal for the structural parts, but not what I wanted to see for the painted interior parts. I had to really clean the inside of the box quite well to prevent the dried paint from kicking up ... this was somewhat difficult as I had to work through the fan cutouts.

If I had it to do over again, I would place the cloth wire on a hinged frame to allow for much easier cleaning (which you will need to do at some point) .... just flip up the top, clean the inside of the box using a wire brush, vacuum, then blow remaining dust out with air and close the lid ... the spray box is ready for the next use.

Enjoying watching your build progress.

Great use for a crate.
You can also bore a 4" hole in it and plumb a bildge blower to a wall dryer vent. Pulls fumes out of the shop. Just an idea. I made one for priming on cold days.
Mine uses cheap baby gates from Wally.

The idea to worm it up from inside is pretty neat.

CeEryO6.jpg

I also used a cut-down Van's crate for a paint box. Same kind of wire mesh (we call it "chicken wire" or "poultry mesh") stapled on top.

In the bottom I cut a large hole for a 20" box style window fan. I took another piece of scrap OSB and mounted it with a couple of 2x4 standoffs to make a baffle. Then I mounted two of the cheap green furnace filters to keep the paint from gumming up the fan, then screwed the fan to the bottom of the box. The whole thing was on four 2x4 legs I set up to fold up for storage. All put together with staples and drywall screws, except a few bolts for the pivoting legs.

It all sounds more complicated than it was. The only thing that didn't work as I expected was I got a lot of overspray on the garage floor, even with the filters. After the first session I just taped down some packing paper or thin plastic sheeting to keep the overspray off the floor. Worked great, I used it a lot.

Nutplates

I have that same wire one mine. It works great for painting nutplates. You can kind of stand them up.

Nice to know I'm not alone. I prime nutplates too! :D
I took a piece of wood and drove 50 nails 1" apart then cut the heads off. Prime, dry, whack on the bench to knock them loose, flip, prime, dry, knock loose. Done.
I rarely use the priming box. I lay a baby gate over two saw horses. Quick to set up and take down.

Back