What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flaperon/aileron Trim

gossend

Well Known Member
Works great...and it's auto-trimmed by my G3X!
2d1944p.jpg
[/IMG]

Flaperon trim servo

It's a Fergelli L12-30-210-12-5 RC model linear actuator. Plug and Play in place of a MAC or Ray Allen servo
Very light. I threw it up to see if it would come back down, but it floated all around the hangar - Had to get a ladder to retrieve it! ;)
2rc23ix.jpg

2rdfc4g.jpg

Flaperon servo wiring

I ran the wires out the inboard end of the flaperon, then up the hinge bracket and into the wing between the first and second ribs. A molex connector is used at the wing root to connect to the Garmin roll servo, just like the pitch trim is connected to the pitch servo. I installed a Tosten stick grip with coolie hat trims and a relay deck to handle everything. The way it's wired, both the panel mounted pitch trim and the coolie hat pitch trim are operational.

Caveat! you may want to add a bit of weight to rebalance the flaperon before flight, especially if you have the added weight of paint, which I don't.

Very nice!

Very nice Dick. Have you flown with it? If so, is there any issue going from a cruise condition to a full flap condition? I have always had a heavy right wing and I've tried all the squeezing and pounding methods on the flaparons to correct it to no avail. This looks very interesting. I would be very nervous in cutting the hole though...:)

Is your plane at an airport? I live in Paris, TX and might stop in if possible some day.

Thanks

Last edited:
Flaperon trim servo

I had an uncurable heavy wing when I detcided to do this. I had installed a fixed trim tab, but it was out of trim again when i deployed flaps! This solved both problems and i love flying with it.
I'm based in Georgetown TX...Visitors welcome!

I have always had a heavy right wing and I've tried all the squeezing and pounding methods on the flaparons to correct it to no avail.

Check the top wing skin where it overhangs the aft spar just in front of the flaperon. My experience with adjusting the flaperons was similar to yours but I found that bending the aft edge of the wing skin up or down slightly made a noticeable difference to the trim.

I'll try it!

Thanks Robert and John for your suggestion about the wing skin aft of the rear spar. I'll work on the heavy wing today and hopefully go flying in a couple of days to test. I will report back to results.

Steve -

I would suggest checking both wings and not just the heavy wing ... both of my wings needed some tweaking.

FWIW, I bought an Avery trim wedge and taped it in place to find the sweet spot. Once found, I painted it and glued it in place. It solved the problem, and can be removed and/or relocated at any time if my needs change. Thus I have avoided the risks associated with the pinching and other permanent techniques.

My results

I flew this afternoon after slightly adjusting the skins on the heavy wing and the results were about a 75% improvement!! :) More tweaking is needed but I'm on the right path. I'll also look at the other wing and see if adjustment is needed there also.
Thanks for the recommendation you guys! :D

I had an uncurable heavy wing when I detcided to do this. I had installed a fixed trim tab, but it was out of trim again when i deployed flaps! This solved both problems and i love flying with it.
I'm based in Georgetown TX...Visitors welcome!

I was wondering if you tried working the heavy wing situation out by moving the rod end bearings that the flaperons pivot on? I have built two with heavy wings and tamed them both with a few turns in or out.

I riveted fixed trim tabs to both flaperons and the rudder. After a few flights to adjust them I haven't touched them in 4 years.

Back