What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin G3x Touch configuration

gossend

Well Known Member
I just (finally) figured out how to make my G3x Touch system talk to my ACK ELT. Couldn't get much help from either company, so I prevailed upon SteinAir and (as expected) got it sorted out. Thought maybe I'd 'pay-it-forward' so someone else might benefit:

Until recently, the Garmin G3x Touch only supported NMEA OUT at 4800 BAUD. This required the ACK E-04 ELT (which comes set to 9600) to be disassembled and jumpered to 4800 in order to work with it.
Recently Garmin upgraded the G3x Touch software to Ver. 3.70. One of the things they added was an RS232 Port config for NMEA OUT at 9600 Baud. That?s the good news?the bad news is it?s off the bottom of the screen, and there?s no way to know you have to scroll down to find it - but it?s there.

In addition, the G3x offers FAST (1 sec) or NORMAL (~2 sec) update rates. The ACK doesn?t seem to care - anything over 1/2 sec is ok, I think.

Next the G3x offers three different Lat-Lon data formats. The nomenclature doesn?t match ACK's (it?s Garmin-speak), but the one that seems to work is ?NNMM.MMMM?

So: NMEA/9600 - FAST or NORMAL rate - NNMM.MMMM

I just (finally) figured out how to make my G3x Touch system talk to my ACK ELT. Couldn't get much help from either company, so I prevailed upon SteinAir and (as expected) got it sorted out. Thought maybe I'd 'pay-it-forward' so someone else might benefit:

Until recently, the Garmin G3x Touch only supported NMEA OUT at 4800 BAUD. This required the ACK E-04 ELT (which comes set to 9600) to be disassembled and jumpered to 4800 in order to work with it.
Recently Garmin upgraded the G3x Touch software to Ver. 3.70. One of the things they added was an RS232 Port config for NMEA OUT at 9600 Baud. That?s the good news?the bad news is it?s off the bottom of the screen, and there?s no way to know you have to scroll down to find it - but it?s there.

In addition, the G3x offers FAST (1 sec) or NORMAL (~2 sec) update rates. The ACK doesn?t seem to care - anything over 1/2 sec is ok, I think.

Next the G3x offers three different Lat-Lon data formats. The nomenclature doesn?t match ACK's (it?s Garmin-speak), but the one that seems to work is ?NNMM.MMMM?

So: NMEA/9600 - FAST or NORMAL rate - NNMM.MMMM

I'm curious if you fabricated the test led contraption and got to light up?

Back