What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7 N143JL Paul Kendrick

mrblob

Well Known Member
Paul Kendrick's RV-7 N143JL s/n 70537

img_1231.jpg

IMG_1341.JPG

IMG_1332.JPG

This is my RV-7. First flight was Tuesday February 10, 2009.

ECi IO-370 with 8.5:1 compression, dual P-Mags, Precision Silverhawk vertical induction FI
Hartzell BA prop
Sam James Shorty cowl with Skybolt camlocs
Paint by Art Craft at KSMX, design inspired by N200PF http://bit.ly/19Ie3wO
Classic Aero Designs interior
Dual Grand Rapids Horizon EFIS (the original one)
Grand Rapids EIS-4000 engine monitor
Dual Garmin SL-30 nav/coms
UPS Aviation Technologies SL-70 transponder
Garmin GMA-340 audio panel
TruTrak DigiFlight II autopilot
Russian Surplus mechanical MiG clock
Pioneer Sirius/XM/CD/DVD entertainment system

Overview:
I started building in December 2001 when I was 19 years old. I was a full time college student, working a full time job, so the build took a little more than 7 years. I had grand plans of using all of the latest and greatest technology. Some of my original planning notes included using a Blue Mountain Avionics EFIS/One (glad I didn't go that route!), and an Affordable Turbine Power turboprop (whatever happened to those guys?). Unfortunately, my desire to have the latest and greatest still led me down the rabbit hole of Subaru engines, and this was at the height of Eggenfellner's reign. I installed an Eggenfellner Subaru 3.0l H6 with a ground adjustable Sensenich hollow carbon prop. I flew that engine for about 350 hours including one trip to Oshkosh. I had mediocre performance with the Subaru and worked through a number of challenges while I had it. The opportunity presented itself to make the switch to an airplane engine in October 2012. Due to a number of delays, the new engine didn't fly until August 2013. After flying off some Phase I hours, I delivered the plane to the paint shop for some color. And that brings us to now.

I'll post more photos and stuff once I get a chance to do an air to air shoot. Here's an album with a few more photos for now.

https://picasaweb.google.com/114243...authkey=Gv1sRgCLjA-I7b892DxAE&feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/114243603536459700119/WCFC2014?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCNrSgPHd8fmPnAE&feat=directlink

Last edited:
Why anybody in their right mind would paint an airplane GREEN is beyond me... Congrats to you Mr. Blobby :D Rosie

Looks nice Paul. I may be out there to see it in person later this spring. My company will be doing a remodel project on a townhouse project in SLO. I will have to look you up when I get out there.

Nice plane!

Nice looking airplane

Paul,

You have a great looking airplane, and also it is very impressive that you started this project when you were 19. Not many teenagers would start and finish a project of this magnitude on their own. Congratulations, and enjoy the airplane.

Fernando

Beautiful job, Paul. Simply beautiful. I'm near the 7-yr mark on mine, inching closer to the finish line every day. Life has presented many challenges to me but I've kept plugging away. I look forward to meeting you in person some day soon and seeing your plane close up! :)

Beautiful plane! Not your typical college hobby! Proof that all things are possible with determination and persistence!

Briefing Stick

I ordered a custom briefing stick of my plane from Aviatorgear.com. Turned out great!!

IMG_1633.JPG

I went flying with Paul over the weekend and it is a very impressive airplane. I can't wait to start flying mine. Thanks again, Paul!

Mike
RV4

Very Nice

Hi Paul,

Congratulations on a great looking RV.

I remember giving you a demo ride in SLO many years ago while you were still in school. I'm glad all the work paid off with a stunning airplane.

Enjoy and fly safe,

Laird

Back