What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What are the odds that Vans Updates the RV-10 in the near future?

UnPossible

Well Known Member
Hey - I am pretty seriously kicking around the idea of starting an RV-10 in the next 3-6 months. However, looking at VAN's recent new product announcements, it appears that their engineering focus for the past 5 years or so has been on bring out planes that are largely improvements on their earlier designs (RV-14 and RV-12is).

What do you think the odds are that Van's will update/improve, etc the RV-10 anytime in the near future? I wonder if the demand for a 4 place plane is enough for them to justify the engineering expense for an update?

I know no one is likely to have a definitive answer, but curious to get your thoughts before I head down this rabbit hole.

Pretty slim

Without any factory knowledge about future products, I think the chance of a significant RV 10 update is slim to none. The RV10 is that good. Besides, even when their next new product comes out, the RV10 should be fully supported. I think Vans has the best track record for support of older models, and their corporate structure is setup for the long haul. JMHO

Extremely unlikely. The closest competition to the RV-10 is the $390,000 USD SR-20 and the $540,000 USD SR-22.

IF you look at what customers that have built RV-10s have done to customize their aircraft, you will not find any major changes to the basic design.

The Basic design of the RV-10 is excellent and extremely unlikely that it can be improved.

If you see any major flaws in the RV-10 design, it is most likely that an RV-10 is not the aircraft for you.

The RV-10 is, in my opinion, the best kit Van?s has to offer. For odds on updates I?d guess any would be at the margins. The only big change might be a more streamlined main gear wheel pant that solves ?the big axle sticking out? issue. Here however there are other wheel pant venders to choose from.

What would be nice:
- A better cowl design that incorporates a 14? spinner. The standard 13? spinner just looks wrong on this plane.
- A door redesign that opens more forward instead of just up. This one item would keep the sharp pencil guys at Van?s busy for a good while.
- An update to the glass install instructions. Here Van?s could provide ideas from RV-10 builders on options to finish.

Carl

I think the RV10 is very important for Vans and therefore I think it is a prime candidate for some sort of refinement/improvement.

Probably nothing that will have a significant impact on the finished product, more improvements that will make it easier to build.

A standard drop in panel like on the RV-12 would be profitable for Vans and convenient for builders.

Garmin Products

If you have or are planning on using Garmin GTN /G3X units in your aircraft. I would suggest you use Garmin Pilot as the ipad ap.

I used Foreflight for years (with no issuers) and switched to Garmin Pilot when I installed the GTN 600 and G3X. Their menus are matched to Garmin Pilot so learning to use the aps is easier because the icons and buttonology is matched.

Foreflight and Garmin Pilot are basically the same, yes sure, there a some differences but that discussion is like the primer wars.

Switching between two different interfaces is more work than necessary with little reward.

Ya we can do that

I definitely second this, I wish there were some drop in options on more than just the -12.

I think Steinair or one of the other VAF advertisers can build you a ?drop in? panel if you like. There are many panels these guys have done that are on their websites. My plan is to buy a copy of one they have aleady done.

I think Steinair or one of the other VAF advertisers can build you a “drop in” panel if you like. There are many panels these guys have done that are on their websites. My plan is to buy a copy of one they have aleady done.

They can and do. But it helps if a couple dozen people head down the exact same path and work out the bugs, document the process, etc. That's where a stock, factory supported panel gains traction.

Last edited:
The RV-14 is a different airplane entirely, and not a replacement for anything. The RV-12 being in the light sport category might explain its change. Beyond that, With the exception of the RV-7 replacing the 6, I don’t think Van’s has ever upgraded or replaced any of their product line. They seem to focus all their engineering energies on new products.

In my experience, they don’t even “upgrade” or update their build manuals for a given model. A bit frustrating on a few occasions, but with all that said, not much is really in any need of substantial upgrading.

In short, I wouldn’t delay your purchase thinking you’ll be missing out on something if you pull the trigger too soon.

Last edited:
There have been small, incremental updates to the -10 but they aren?t obvious unless you go looking and know what you?re looking for. A couple of examples that come to mind are the fuel valve which is different and mounted lower in the tunnel than the originals. Another example is that the fuel lines from the tanks to the valve now have a bulkhead fitting in the side of the tunnel to make the fabrication of the lines easier (first line from tank to fitting outside tunnel, second from fitting inside tunnel to valve). There have also been some improvements to the fiberglass cabin top (quality, not function). There are other evolutionary changes but these are the first few that popped into my head.

Many of the small changes that probably originated from builder feedback to make things easier. In general this seems to be going on quite a bit as changes made for other models ripple down. The prop spinner comes to mind - it used to be just the fiberglass cone and builders were on their own to do prop blade cutouts. Later, templates became available and now the spinner is molded with prop blade cutout markings. BTW, this is now the standard spinner that all kits get.

I suspect that there will continue to be small changes like these incorporated, but probably nothing revolutionary for the -10.

I took the factory tour a week and a half ago. I have my emp kit already. I inquired as to the possibility of any upcoming upgrades, so I could wait if necessary before ordering wing and fuse kits. For example the -10 is match drilled while the -14 is drilled to final size, no drilling/deburring required as I understand it. Also has a wiring harness. The Van?s rep said no consideration being given because it could invalidate the 51% rule approval from the FAA. Of course some mods mentioned above would not affect that. But my takeaway is Van?s considers it a mature design. Your mileage may vary...

They can and do. But it helps if a couple dozen people head down the exact same path and work out the bugs, document the process, etc. That's where a stock, factory supported panel gains traction.

I don't think it will ever happen.

1. Because of SteinAIr, Aerotronics, AFS/Dynon, and many more already provide that service.
  2. The RV-10 market is significantly different than the other RV-10s. I've seen some panels that cost more than other's entire aircraft.
  3. Van's tends to be frugal and goes with the lowest common denominator.
That isn't what most RV-10 builders want in a panel.

For example the -10 is match drilled while the -14 is drilled to final size

While there are a lot of final drilled parts on the -14 there is still considerable match drilling and deburring to be done and in the grand scheme of things it doesn't add a lot of time to the overall build. Only the -14 parts are final drilled but the kit, like all of the kits, contain a lot of parts from previous aircraft. For example, there are a lot of -10 parts in the -14 kit. Van's is smart about reusing previous parts if they can, keeps the cost down.

.. building the -14 kit seems to be about half the time to build the airplane .. that 90% done, 90% to go is so true :eek:

Last edited:
Back