What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Throttle quadrant/cover plate gap

N546RV

Well Known Member
I've been revisiting my forward throttle quadrant the past week or so. Originally I built everything for a two-lever quadrant, but I've since decided that I really want a CS prop, so I've been reworking everything for the three-lever quadrant.

With the two-lever, I ended up fabricating my own cover plate, since the two-lever is narrower than the cutout in the supplied cover plate. Since I made this myself, it fit nicely with the two-lever quadrant:

IMG_6612.jpg

For the three-lever, the factory cover plate is sufficient, and rather than fabricating another new cover plate, I figured I'd use it, but thanks to the bend radius off the flanges, it's unable to sit flush against the top of the quadrant, leaving this unsightly gap:

IMG_7178.jpg

There doesn't seem to be any way to close this gap with the provided pieces, since all the relevant fastener holes are prepunched. I could fab another cover plate, but I recall the first one being a bit of a pain, so I'm a bit hesitant. I've also considered getting some aluminum stock thick enough to fill that gap, and cutting a filler plate that I can then rivet to the cover plate. It'll still look a little weird but better than open space.

Anyway, give that I'm using factory pieces here and a pretty common quadrant, I can't be the first person to run into this. So I'm curious who else has seen this, and how you chose to handle it.

Back