- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2017, 04:12 PM

Default So You Wanna Fly Victor Airways...With No Nav Radio

Starting a new thread here and the reason is to hopefully generate some discussion on using the RV-12 avionics to it’s capabilities. Since we don’t have a nav radio, we’ll have to make do for a lot of nav functions with just GPS. There is a lot of capability though, and that includes the D-180 panel as well as the SkyView. This thread can apply to either, the Garmin X96 GPS have a lot of capability, even some that SV does not.

For instance, the Garmin 496 that I had in my D-180 panel could load approaches, although they were truncated; they did not include procedure turns. The approaches only gave the options of flying vectors to the extended runway center line or flying a flight plan to the approach fixes. With SkyView there are no approaches unless you have a IFR navigator installed. Also, with the D-180 panel, the Garmin SL40 radio could automatically get airport frequencies from the Garmin 496. As you came within radio distance to an airport the various frequencies would be available on the standby side of the radio by just turning a knob. With SkyView, the Garmin GTX 200 cannot get that data automatically from the SV GPS I guess because Garmin proprietary policy does not allow it. You can push frequencies manually from SV to the radio, but thats not as quick. The disadvantage is, that to keep the 496 data up to date, is expensive, the SV nav data updates are free.

So this post is to talk about flying VOR radials without the need for a nav radio. Quite useful if you want to file a flight plan flying the airways rather than going GPS direct. Flying the airways in cases where you are going over hostile territory makes sense. You would be easier to find if they had to come looking for you and you probably would have better com and radar coverage. We had one experience coming west from eastern Washington, GPS direct, where we could not be seen on radar for flight following until we were half way across the mountains. In those situations having filed a flight plan might be a life saver.

To fly a VOR radial with SV only requires that you establish an OBS course line to a VOR. The VORs are in the data base and one way of getting one is using NEAREST function, selecting the VOR tab and scrolling down to find the one you want. Press and hold the D-> button for 2 seconds and presto, there will be a magenta line from the VOR. That line can then be swung to any radial using the left joystick (CRS) knob.

In this screenshot, ready to depart runway 20 with an OBS line from the SEA VORTAC already established and set to radial 240/060, and the HDG bug set for an intercept.

Then once airborne the autopilot is engaged to fly the intercept HDG and ALT HOLD, NAV is armed.

Here the ship has turned onto the 060 heading to the VOR, nice.

You can do exactly the same thing with the D-180 panel. There is a procedure within the X96 GPS for setting up an OBS course line to a VOR or other navigation fix and setting it to any radial.

Comments on RV-12 flying welcome. This is intended to be a fun learning thread with comments by anyone who loves learning their RV-12 capabilites.
RV-12 #202 -- Flying

Last edited by Tony_T : 03-25-2017 at 10:04 AM.
Old 03-24-2017, 05:47 PM

Well Tony, you are scoring 100% with me, I sure appreciate what you are sharing with us.
I have a Skyview Touch coupled to an SL30, so some of the stuff I will do differently, but your posts give some valuable guidance that does not seem to be available elsewhere.
Thanks again!!
On top of that, I am taking training with Jetguy in his D180 equipped plane with a Garmin 793 (or is it 796, I forget), so when I go up in mine it will be another learning experience.
Retired US Army Officer
http://www.mykitlog.com/users/index....X&project=1903
Old 03-24-2017, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonFromTX View Post
Well Tony, you are scoring 100% with me, I sure appreciate what you are sharing with us.
I have a Skyview Touch coupled to an SL30, so some of the stuff I will do differently, but your posts give some valuable guidance that does not seem to be available elsewhere.
Thanks again!!
On top of that, I am taking training with Jetguy in his D180 equipped plane with a Garmin 793 (or is it 796, I forget), so when I go up in mine it will be another learning experience.
Actually, it's all in the Manuals. It rains a lot here, so I spend a lot of time reading.
RV-12 #202 -- Flying
Old 03-24-2017, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_T View Post
Actually, it's all in the Manuals. It rains a lot here, so I spend a lot of time reading.
Tony ... I too want to thank you for the recent SkyView functionality posts you have been contributing to the forum. As you said, it is all in the book ... but it is nice to have the interactions explained and visuals putting it all together. Thanks for taking the time to post your SkyView tutorials.

Happy flying,
Now Flying!!

Dues paid until September 2018
Old 03-24-2017, 08:54 PM

I recently discovered this too, using the skyview to track a radial that is. The only way I know to switch to obs mode is via the flight plan page..is there another way too?

RV 7 N324TP IO 360 A1A
Flying since 7/2012
Ferry Pilot Services Available
www.alpharomeoaviation.com
Old 03-25-2017, 08:31 AM

Default Thanks for help

Tony; Thanks for sharing this with us, I know my skyview has tons of capabilities I'm not using..this will be fun to try and a great learning experience.
Building RV 12 E-LSA
Paid thru 2016, even though exempt
RV 12 completed, waiting DAR
Old 03-25-2017, 09:36 AM

Also, if you have Seattle Avionics' chart subscription, you can overlay the Lo-Alt IFR charts on the Map screen and follow the course information displayed there.
EAA #23982 - EAA Technical Counselor and Flight Advisor; CFI - A&I
RV-12 E-LSA #120496 (SV w/ AP and ADS-B) - N124DH flying since March 2014 - 570+ hours (as of Dec 2017)!
VAF donation through June 2018.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:42 AM

Thank you Tony for your great, descriptive posts. I am very familiar with many of the Skyview system and have read the manual a few times but the more I use it, the more features I learn.

Your "Tutorials" are top notch. Keep them coming!

N626JA
RV-7A at CXP
Flying!
Old 03-25-2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu1975 View Post
I recently discovered this too, using the skyview to track a radial that is. The only way I know to switch to obs mode is via the flight plan page..is there another way too?
After selecting any navigable point using a variety of methods, nearest, flightplan, info, it will go into OBS mode if you press and hold direct-to for 2 seconds.
RV-12 #202 -- Flying
Old 03-25-2017, 10:14 AM

Compared to the US, Australia has far fewer IFR trained pilots, so as your typical VFR pilot I find this kind of post very interesting. Thanks Tony.