What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Vetterman Trombone Exhaust

SHIPCHIEF

Well Known Member
I was just doing a little shopping for my new project, checking out Vetterman's Exhaust and noticed a new system.
A pull from Larry Vetterman's site:
"The trombone system will fit on the following aircraft: RV-6-6A RV7-7A and RV-8, we are not sure of the 8A at this time. The system will fit on these engines 0-320/0-360 vertical updraft, IO-360/375 Superior cold air sump, and Lyc. IO-360 M1B."
Anyone try this yet?

Trombone exhaust

Just received mine from Clint. It's for my RV-8 with a superior IO-360 that has a cold air sump forward facing and silverhawk injection...just bolted it on....fits very nice.

I just have to install the hangers for it.

I'll post photos once it's completed. Lots of room under the sump to run everything else.

Last edited:
There is a -8 in my hangar with it installed. Very nice, if you are going with a fwd facing sump.

Is the IO-360-A1A sump the same as the -M1B?

Or similar enough that the new exhaust would fit?

Both are forward-facing cold-air plenum sumps from Lycoming.
At this point, I don't remember which cross-over exhaust I installed. Was it the -M1B?

Is the main purpose for this new trombone exhaust to facilitate mufflers?

I wonder what the weight difference is?

No idea on weight

I'll post some pictures on Friday of the install. I'm impressed with how clear the bottom of the sump is and there wont be any issues with the control cables to the mixture and throttle as others have found with the same sump, but different exhaust.

I didn't weigh the exhaust, but I'm sure Clint can chime in on that.

Clint certainly does a fantastic job on the fabrication.

Installed on M1B

I've got it on an -M1B on my -9. Haven't started it yet but great quality and workmanship. Will need a little bit more reflective tape on cowling since it makes a curve a bit forward over the old style crossover exhaust.

I'm building one today for a 7a IO360 with the superior cold air sump. I'll weigh it later and post.
The only engine we can't build a "trombone" exhaust with mufflers for is engines with the ECI cold air sump. The intake tubes and sump simply hang down too low.
We can fit dual mufflers on every rv6-9 including A models and get clearance with this type of exhaust. The M1B and 200 hp angle valve engines are tight but will fit.
I'll be updating the website shortly to reflect this and also detail the different exhausts we are now offering for the rv-14. Clint

The only engine we can't build a "trombone" exhaust with mufflers for is engines with the ECI cold air sump. The intake tubes and sump simply hang down too low.
Very saddened to hear this! :(

Well Clint, that means I should think about getting together with you to discuss what I had plans to change a couple of years ago when I discussed my exhaust issues with Larry.

Our standard 4-pipe exhaust fits fine, and we have many in service on the rv-8. Anyone with questions is welcome to call, I can't type very fast! Clint

Here's the pics

Pretty slick setup and lots of room under the sump.

309t1mf.jpg

23k2jye.jpg

3356xht.jpg

Once I figure out the hanger locations, I`ll post more. Anyone have good photos of their install with this exhaust and an RV-8?

Thanks

Don

Trombone Fits 8A models

This is the Vetterman trombone exhaust on an 8A with XP-400, no mufflers and no heat muffs. It's a tight fit between the curved portion of the exhaust ramp and engine mount when the exhausts are pointed straight back. If rotated and aimed towards the center of the fuselage you gain a bit more clearance. I haven't installed the hangers yet.

image-96-700x525.jpeg

image-98-700x525.jpeg

image-99-700x525.jpeg

image-100-700x525.jpeg

image-101-700x525.jpeg

This is the Vetterman trombone exhaust on an 8A with XP-400, no mufflers and no heat muffs. It's a tight fit between the curved portion of the exhaust ramp and engine mount when the exhausts are pointed straight back. If rotated and aimed towards the center of the fuselage you gain a bit more clearance. I haven't installed the hangers yet.

Is there any room and a good place for a heat muff in that system at all? Looks cool and room to get to some important stuff, which is great, but heat would be important to me as well. My crossover exhaust appears to create some issues with regard to access to the sump and bosses/fittings on my XP IO-360 is why I ask.

That's a good question for Clint at Vettermans but there appears to be plenty of room on the strait section after where the pipe sections join.

I eliminated exhausts as a source of heat because:
  • rear seat heat is not so hot in an 8
  • heat muffs and associated scat plumbing don't help the flow of air out the cowl, especially on an A model
  • no big hole in my insulated firewall, think fire/fumes safety
  • heated seats and heated vests are pre-wired at this point
  • weighs less without
  • costs less without

Heat muff

Hi Walter, there is plenty of room on both of the tailpipes for a heat muff. The hanger brackets need to be placed as far aft as possible to give the maximum amount of support.
I weighed a "trombone" exhaust and with dual mufflers, they are 13 lbs. Clint

CHT probe placement?

Anybody have any pictures or advice on CHT probe placement on the trombone exhaust? I'm trying to avoid drilling on the pipe bends, but that may be tough to do.

Dave

Custom Aircraft Parts

I'd like to put in a plug for Clinton Anderson at Custom Aircraft Parts in El Cajon, CA. Clinton built a custom crossover exhaust for my tightly-cowled Lancair 235/O-290-D2 that is a real work of art. http://www.customaircraft.com/

Back