What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Control column bearing binding

HeliCooper

Well Known Member
After installing the control column I have realized that one of the flange bearings has some drag in it. The column wont just drop under its own weight. Van's seems to really think I should consider leaving it the way it is. I just put a torque wrench on the unit and it has a drag of 5 inch pounds while moving in the pitch up direction (about 2ish inch pounds moving towards pitch down). My gut tells me that it would be better to leave it as is rather than damaging pieces trying to take out and reinstall the bracket and bearing. I was really contemplating taking out the bracket until I just got that number. It seems incredibly low to me but I wanted to see what you guys thought. I am sure I am over thinking this but I'd just like some other opinions to put my mind at ease. So long story short... Should I leave the bearing alone with it having a 5 inch pound drag on it.

Pictures? Plane page no?

Hello Helicooper

I also had some binding in the control column. It started small and then it went up to critical high ... After I took everything apart, I could see, where the steel tube was rubbing on the brass tube. After a few passes with emery cloth and Dremel grinder, I could not feel anymore this binding.

Please be more specific, tell us which plane you have, on which plan page we can find the part that makes you trouble, name the part numbers or make a photo! Then we really can see quick where you have the problem.

Hello,

I'm working on a RV14. Plans reference is on page 29-05. It is a COM 3-5 bearing sandwiched in between two pieces of aluminum to create a bearing bracket. This COM 3-5 bearing is what has this drag on it. I did a search and found others having similar problems with these sandwiched bearings. This binding is 100 percent in the bearing. I tested this by just running a bolt with washer shims and a nut through the bearing and then testing the resistance. The resistance was still there in an equal amount.

Back