What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Heaviest RV-12

todehnal

Well Known Member
I think I get the prize for the heaviest 12 out there. I'm sure that the Skyview conversion cables added some weight, as did the gear mod and firewall stiffener mod. In fact, I did all of the mods, even the remote mount for the oil pressure sender. Just got it all together, and fully decked out, with a full 2 tone Imron paint job, wheel pants, gear farings, stabilator tips, full lighting kit, auto pilot, angle of attack, full interior and carpet, even a little extra insulation up front. Oh, I also added the the Koger Sunshield, a drape molded plexi back window,and a fuel pump switch. I even installed the 2 headsets and had the operators manual in the glove box. I tipped the scales at 770 pounds. Wow! Little things do add up. But, hey, that still gives me 550 lbs. for people, gas, and baggage. So, do I have any competition??

Tom

Last edited:
Just got it all together, and fully decked out, with a full 2 tone Imron paint job, wheel pants, gear farings, stabilator tips, full lighting kit, auto pilot, angle of attack, full interior and carpet, even a little extra insulation up front. Oh, I also added the the Koger Sunshield....

Sounds very nice...

...are you gonna put some photos up here somewhere?

That sounds about right. Congratulations Tom. When does she take flight? Are you going to add smoke to gain 16 lbs. and keep up with Ole' Smokey (DValcik)?

Last edited:
No Smoke, but Maybe a Horn

That sounds about right. Congratulations Tom. When does she take flight? Are you going to add smoke to gain 16 lbs. and keep up with Ole' Smokey (DValcik)?

Sorry, no smoke for me, but I am thinking of adding a horn. I have an old model T horn with a squeeze bulb that I take in our Cub. My wife says that I sound like a sick goose, but it is fun to say "Hey" to the fishermen on the lake as I approach our runway.

I'm being held up by the Feds and the layoffs at Ok city. Hopefully, they will get back at it and I will get my registration soon. I took the cowling back off and am going through the rest of Van's acceptance documentation now. Hopefully my first flight will be approved before mid Nov. Yes, I will be posting pictures soon. Thanks for the weight comments. I'm glad to hear that I am not that far off for similar equipped RV-12s.

Tom

Tom,
Your registration is showing on line. You can get your airworthiness inspection with that. You only need the hard copy to fly.

N123M 09/30/2013

Last edited:
Love the model T horn idea. How an I do something like that with our new rv12.

We fly the Cub with the clam shell door open, and I just hang the horn by the opening where I can reach the bulb. It works great. I can't see any way to do that in the 12..............Tom

Mine was heavier, 775#. I had put in all options and my paint job was probably heavy.

Doug Dahl N72DJ, RV-12 N142DD RV-9A

Bunch of lightweights you are. I fully intend to come in OVER 800 lbs. Short wave transmitter, multiple USB charging ports, super D oxygen bottle, heavier engine, coolant fed heater, smoke system, Dynon D1, IPad, Nav/Com, full interior package plus numerous other things that weigh.
Is there a prize for heaviest?:D

Last edited:
Bunch of lightweights you are. I fully intend to come in OVER 800 lbs. Short wave transmitter, multiple USB charging ports, super D oxygen bottle, heavier engine, coolant fed heater, smoke system, Dynon D1, IPad, Nav/Com, full interior package plus numerous other things that weigh.
Is there a prize for heaviest?:D

Just add side view mirrors, baby moons, a horn, and turn signals?and that should be about it!:D

Fat boy

I had mine on the scale yesterday. 780 pounds Basic empty weight. I targeted max. 770.
I have leather seats, 2 axis A/P, interior painting, all carpets, some analog instruments required by national regulatory, a collision avoidance system, wheel pants and it is all painted on the exterior.
Well... it is as it is and now I have a good reason to resume going to the gym again.😀

At Oshkosh last week employee of an SLSA told me that the rumor was that the FAA was going to raise the gross weight for the LSA category. That is the first time that I had heard anything about it. I think that I asked in a previous post if there was any room to raise the gross weight in an RV-12 and I think the answer was that the RV-12 design gross weight was 1320. The design gross weight of the RANS S-19 for example is 1500 pounds, so those who build it as an LSA have the option of later raising the gross weight (and thereby leaving the LSA category). If the design weight of the RV-12 is exactly 1320 then we would have no room to increase the gross weight. It would be nice if we could raise the gross weight even 20 or 30 pounds. It would also be nice if I could lose 20 pounds.
Regards,
Damien

The design gross weight of the RANS S-19 for example is 1500 pounds, so those who build it as an LSA have the option of later raising the gross weight (and thereby leaving the LSA category).

Once the aircraft is certificated as SLSA or ELSA, one may not "leave the LSA category". If the max gross weight for LSA changes, one may increase the gross weight up to design limits of the aircraft. But the aircraft must remain as LSA.

Only if the aircraft were certificated as EAB, may you increase GW to outside LSA limits.

At Oshkosh last week employee of an SLSA told me that the rumor was that the FAA was going to raise the gross weight for the LSA category. That is the first time that I had heard anything about it. I think that I asked in a previous post if there was any room to raise the gross weight in an RV-12 and I think the answer was that the RV-12 design gross weight was 1320. The design gross weight of the RANS S-19 for example is 1500 pounds, so those who build it as an LSA have the option of later raising the gross weight (and thereby leaving the LSA category). If the design weight of the RV-12 is exactly 1320 then we would have no room to increase the gross weight. It would be nice if we could raise the gross weight even 20 or 30 pounds. It would also be nice if I could lose 20 pounds.
Regards,
Damien
Thanks Damien, did the guy say by how much?

No, he just said that there was a rumor that it was going to be raised. He was a salesman for an SLSA model on display at Oshkosh. I have not read anything about the possibility of raising the LSA gross weight limit in any of the aviation magazines or websites that I read.
Regards,
Damien

I've heard several rumors... anything from a gross weight limit increase to 1500#, all the way up to "Sport pilots can fly anything up to Basic Med limits, but can only carry one passenger". I've seen absolutely nothing to back up any of the rumors, so take that for what it's worth. Also bear in mind how many years the FAA fought tooth and nail to prevent what eventually became Basic Med, and how watered down it was before it finally passed.

I'll keep flying my RV-12 in the mean time, thanks.

When I was in the Air force, we were told, "If you haven't heard a rumor by 10 am, start one!"

I was in for 6 years and NEVER got to start one.

At Air Venture EAA Chairman Jack Pelton said the FAA was looking at redefining the LSA Definition. There was an interview with Pelton in the daily Air Venture paper and he feels there are some changes coming. Also there is an article in AVweb and Aviation Week regarding changes to LSA.

Back