- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > ADS-B
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
Can you tell us how many Flight Feeder boxes FA sends out in a year? Put another way, what is the current rate of growth for the Flight Feeder network? The growth rate is probably public information, as FA promotes the extent of their coverage.
I'm not sure about the specific growth rate for FlightFeeders; however, I can say that our terrestrial network is currently at around 21k active sites. Last year about this time it was ~16.5k, and the year before that ~13k. So roughly it's about 27% year-over-year.

These numbers include both FlightFeeders (the devices we build and ship out at our own expense) and PiAwares (devices built by hobbyists at their expense). For the purposes of this discussion, I suspect the nuance between the two isn't really relevant, though it's worth noting that enthusiast-built receivers often feed other networks in addition to FA, and some of those networks do not share our respect for privacy/blocking requests.

Quote:
This isn't about blocking, a different 1090 option. This is about "anonymous" UAT transmitters which turned out to have a big hole in the burka. It leaves us exposed to ID, via little more than a cheap local receiver connected to the net.

And it's about being a well-treated consumer. The manufacturer advertised anonymous, I bought anonymous, and I think I'm owed an anonymous transmitter, not one which spits out my real ID every time I turn it on.
I can't disagree with any of this. I was not aware of this aspect of the UAT "anonymous" mode, and it sure undermines the "anonymous" claim in a big way.

I'm not sure whether we make use of that initial burst of identifying data or not - I don't work directly with the ADS-B program, I just make shiny things on the website. But to your point, it doesn't matter a whole lot whether we do or not - the data is out there, and even if FA as a company takes a principled stand on this, it doesn't stop someone else from just doing what we won't.
https://www.meetup.com/Houston-Area-RV-Enthusiasts/
Old 08-08-2019, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N546RV View Post
I'm not sure about the specific growth rate for FlightFeeders; however, I can say that our terrestrial network is currently at around 21k active sites. Last year about this time it was ~16.5k, and the year before that ~13k. So roughly it's about 27% year-over-year.
The miracle of compounding....3.5K more, followed by 4.5K more. Not hard to predict where this is going.

It's about the future.

Thanks Phillip.
Old 08-09-2019, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
It's about the future.
And the future is... No privacy.
Old 08-09-2019, 09:36 AM

A simple way to render the startup burst unusable would be to install a BNC 12vdc coaxial relay inline with the antenna, in the off position the ads-b unit would be connected to a dummy load, in the on position it would connect to the antenna.
The relay could be actuated for example, by the strobe power.

Antennas for Experimental Aircraft
www.deltapopaviation.com
Old 08-09-2019, 11:41 AM

Or even less expensive and less hassle, don't fly.

2019 Dues Paid
www.PuertoRicoFlyer.com
Old 08-14-2019, 09:47 PM

Default And The Plot Thickens

ADS-B CHANGES DON’T GO FAR ENOUGH
AOPA HIGHLIGHTS PRIVACY GAPS
August 8, 2019
By Mike Collins
AOPA appreciates the FAA’s recent resolution of some Automatic Dependent Surveillance-Broadcast operational concerns but says the FAA has a long way to go, especially regarding privacy.

Most 978-MHz universal access transceivers, like the uAvionix skyBeacon being installed above, offer pilots an ADS-B anonymous mode during certain flight operations, but no privacy options exist for 1090-MHz Extended Squitter ADS-B hardware. Photo by Mike Collins.
Most 978-MHz universal access transceivers, like the uAvionix skyBeacon being installed above, offer pilots an ADS-B anonymous mode during certain flight operations, but no privacy options exist for 1090-MHz Extended Squitter ADS-B hardware. Photo by Mike Collins.
The association filed comments Aug. 7 with the U.S. Department of Transportation regarding Docket Number FAA–2019–0562, “Revision to Automatic Dependent Surveillance-Broadcast (ADS–B) Out Equipment and Use Requirements.” The interim final rule authorizes the non-lead aircraft in formations to turn off their transponders and ADS-B, and makes other changes to regulatory requirements that all ADS-B-equipped aircraft “must transmit at all times,” including an exception for sensitive operations conducted by federal, state, and local security and law enforcement agencies. ADS-B uses GPS satellites instead of ground-based radar to determine aircraft location, and is a key technology behind the FAA’s Next Generation Air Transportation System. The FAA has mandated ADS-B Out for flights after Jan. 1, 2020, in airspace where a transponder is required today.

Although AOPA is pleased to see the issue of formation flights addressed in the interim final rule, the association’s comments go on to say that the rule does not go far enough to address several other privacy concerns shared by the general aviation community, and discussed in the collaborative Equip 2020 government/industry venue.
Another recent effort clarified that pilots of aircraft equipped with 978 MHz Universal Access Transceiver (UAT) ADS-B systems can use their UATs’ anonymous mode when the pilot has filed a VFR flight plan and is not requesting air traffic services. Paragraph 4-5-7(c)(3) of the Aeronautical Information Manual currently states that a UAT’s anonymous mode can only be used “when the operator has not filed a flight plan and is not requesting ATC services.”

Many pilots are concerned about privacy in the context of ADS-B data, and 1090 MHz Extended Squitter ADS-B systems currently don’t offer any anonymity, said Rune Duke, AOPA senior director of airspace and air traffic. He cited the results of a recent Aviation eBrief poll that indicated half of respondents are concerned about their privacy because their identification is being transmitted over ADS-B.

“We regularly hear from pilots who have privacy concerns about ADS-B. This is a good opportunity to have your voice heard and share your concerns directly with the FAA,” Duke said, encouraging pilots to comment.

Comments to the docket will be accepted until Sept. 16, 2019. Interested pilots and aircraft owners are encouraged to review the docket and comment online.

The privacy problem is exacerbated by websites that allow the tracking of aircraft equipped with ADS-B Out, including those squawking the 1200 VFR transponder code, using their own ground stations and bypassing traditional FAA controls over radar data, Duke explained. “Private aircraft operators have significant concerns that have not been addressed in this rule nor satisfactorily resolved by the FAA. We regularly hear from pilots that they are delaying or avoiding equipping because of this concern."

The 978UAT systems’ anonymous mode and the concept under development of “rolling ICAO codes” for 1090ES systems will help to increase anonymity for GA operators, but they are only a short-term solution, Duke noted. “Work must be expedited on the long-term solution: encryption of ADS-B data,” he wrote to the docket. “Encryption at the source will allow an automated solution that will reduce the workload for operators and the agency, and this solution could become a global standard.”

Other issues also remain to be addressed—including voluntary ADS-B equipage of aircraft not equipped with an engine-driven electrical system, and harmonizing regulations addressing inoperable transponder and ADS-B systems, he added.

“Further modifications to ADS-B regulations and policy will encourage additional ADS-B equipage, as well as address the privacy concerns of thousands of aviators,” Duke wrote. “We believe further modifications are in the public’s interest and would provide relief from some current issues by more effectively promoting safety and efficiency in the [National Airspace System].”
Old 08-15-2019, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
And the future is... No privacy.
I fail to see the case for a James Bond flipping license plate for ADSB. Flying is a priveledge just like driving. We have an ID plastered on the rear of our car and on the side of our plane. I get the 'I'm an citizen and deserve privacy bit" because I have similar feelings elsewhere but I don't think those feelings apply here.

In my 6 years of ADSB use, i LIKE it when an N number comes up next to a target. It has helped on multiple occations for traffic comunications with a tower or ATC.

I don't find the parallel to Xpdr 1200 to be valid since 1200 was a way to reduce ATC workload by allowing them to ignore those craft from a management standpoint but still see a target. With ADSB, that still remains true. There is no work burden for that identification to move from transmitter to receiver.
YIO-360-M1B, mags, CS, GRT EX and WS H1s & A/P, Navworx
Unpainted, polished....kinda'... Eyeballin' vinyl really hard.
Old 08-15-2019, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaziza View Post
“Work must be expedited on the long-term solution: encryption of ADS-B data,” he wrote to the docket. “Encryption at the source will allow an automated solution that will reduce the workload for operators and the agency, and this solution could become a global standard.”
First thought: Encryption will kill the Stratux market, unless the encryption protocol is publicised. But if it's publicised, is there any point of encrypting it in the first place?

Second thought: "global standard." The rest of of the world is going with 1090MHz broadcast to the Aireon satellite network. If it isn't set up to take an encrypted stream, encrypted streams aren't likely to become a global standard.
Old 08-15-2019, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzbill View Post
I fail to see the case for a James Bond flipping license plate for ADSB. Flying is a priveledge just like driving. We have an ID plastered on the rear of our car and on the side of our plane. I get the 'I'm an citizen and deserve privacy bit" because I have similar feelings elsewhere but I don't think those feelings apply here.
Why is flying not a right? I think the word matters. A lot. Have had this talk with AOPA on several occasions and coincidentally I've noticed a shift in their terminology over the last few years. Maybe others have had similar conversations.

Houston

Last edited by Low Pass : 08-15-2019 at 10:07 AM.
Old 08-15-2019, 11:23 AM

Ok, this may be a dumb question, but why not just turn it off if you don’t want to be detected?
Pitts S2B- sold
Chattanooga, Tn
Dues Paid