What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Rubber Ducts

DanH

Legacy Member
Mentor
Regular readers know I like to work with a variety of materials. Playing with new materials and methods can be fun.

Subject here is a set of intake ducts for a cooling plenum. They're typically fiberglass/epoxy, fixed solidly to the engine, and coupled to an aluminum ring in the cowl with a silicone hose, neoprene wet suit material, or other soft tubular material to allow relative movement.

My cooling and plenum scheme doesn't follow current RV convention; I've gone the low velocity inlet route (which means large inlets) and relocated them so they no longer center on the cowl split line. The whole cooling scheme is a subject for another thread; this one deals with an experimental method for constructing one of the components. Somewhere in the design process I got thinking "Why can't the whole duct have some flexibility?" and this was the result.

If you look at any of the available silicone hose couplers you'll see that they are constructed with one or more glass fabric reinforcements molded into the rubber. To do something similar I needed a room temperature curing rubber material with low enough viscosity to impregnate glass cloth, and the right physical properties (Shore A hardness, service temperature, tear strength, etc) to handle the application.

The rubber I selected is a two-part urethane primarily intended for concrete molding, although it has lots of other uses.

http://www.reynoldsam.com/index.php?cPath=6_1117_1142

Spec sheet here:

http://www.smooth-on.com/tb/files/Vytaflex_Series_TB.pdf

I used the Shore 40 material. Another builder will soon be trying the Shore 50, mostly because of the longer pot life. Both are 2000cps viscosity, thin enough to soak glass cloth with a little help. Service temperature is not listed, but the tech guy says 180F, above which it drops off in Shore and may lose some strength. In any case, it's not likely to mimic the Wicked Witch of the North at engine compartment temperatures.

Two of the $25 "sample kits" was enough to do two plenum ducts plus a few experiments. This material mixes by weight or volume. They also sell a compatible pigment. I used black, one drop for each 20 grams of mixed rubber.

Fabrication method is straightforward. You'll need a male plug for the desired shape. It can be foam, plaster, wood, or anything else you like to work. In this case I used blue block foam filled with micro, sealed with epoxy, then sprayed with a a cheap high build primer and some ordinary Rustoleum enamel.

Filled%20Forms.JPG

Sealed%20Forms.JPG

Primed%20Forms.JPG

Finished%20Forms.JPG

The final surface finish must be very good as the rubber will precisely mimic the finish. Unlike a conventional glass layup, there is no opportunity to surface fill or rework the finished part later; what you got is what you'll live with.

Wax the plug with two coats of mold release wax or plain carnuba, then spray it with two coats of PVA or similar.

Pre-cut glass cloth to the general shapes you need to cover your plug. Gather a roll of 4 mil clear plastic sheet, a pizza cutter, a roller, and a box of nitrile gloves.

Mix some rubber and paint the prepared plug with a first coat. Wait until it gels and paint it with another coat. You can do a third and fourth coat if you wish to build more thickness; what you're doing is much like a gel coat in a polyester layup. The painted coats provide a nice surface on the finished part and help hide any little bubbles and flaws in the subsequent fabric layups.

The "until it gels" part is important. This urethane doesn't bond well to cured urethane; you must add layers before the previous layer cures. That means when you start the layup process you must work all the way through to the end without pause, at a rate appropriate to the pot life of the material. It will pay to have everything ready and at hand; for example, that's why you precut the cloth.

Impregnate the cloth by laying down a sheet of 4 mil plastic, then a sheet of cloth. Pour mixed rubber on the cloth. Cover it with another plastic sheet and use the roller to spread and work the rubber into the cloth. It is easy to see how you're doing, in particular with black pigment in the rubber. You can even pick up the sandwich and flip it over to see both sides. It is no harder to work into the cloth than the same process using West epoxy.

Roll excess rubber to the edges of the sheet, use the pizza cutter to trim the excess plastic and rubber. Peel one plastic layer and position the wet sheet on your plug. Peel the other plastic layer, then use your gloved hands to smooth the wet fabric over the plug. Wipe in opposing directions with both hands (it won't slide around if you use opposing force) to push any trapped air bubbles out from under the fabric. I found it was easier to chase air out of the rubber layups than with West.

Proceed like you are doing any multiple ply glass layup; alternating overlaps, trim excess unsupported fabric at the edges, etc. The gel behavior of the rubber has a nice benefit; previous layers don't slide around much if at all.

Layup%20Round%201.JPG

Heat accelerates cure, and post cure improves properties. As my ducts were black, I just put them out in the sun. Removing them from the plug wasn't too bad. A few blasts of compressed air between plug and part separates them. Like any rubber there is a lot of surface friction between the rubber and a smooth surface, so initially slipping the part off the plug was like pulling a bicycle grip off a handlebar. Although I didn't try it, I'm pretty sure a spritz of water between the plug and part would make the PVA mold release slippery and aid removal.

Here's the finished product. The aluminum ring and black foam rubber seal were both added after trimming; they're germane to the particular cowl sealing scheme I'm using for the large, off-split inlets.

Finished%20Duct%20Round%201.JPG

I'd suggest future experiments involving the number of glass plies, ply orientation, and fabric weight. The finished flexability of the rubber duct is mostly governed by those fabric factors, as well as the shape of the part relative to expected movement. With 4 plies of 8.9 oz fabric, this duct is by no means anything close to being described as "floppy". The actual feel is something like the black baffle seal material supplied in Van's baffle kits, maybe a little softer.

I think the method has possibilities for cooler ducts and a bunch of other applications. Have fun.

Last edited:
What a cool idea!

I have used Smooth-On urethane rubber in the past to make molds for casting plastic parts - but it never occurred to me to use it with a reinforcing fabric to make a flexible part. You are to be commended for some really good out-of-the-box thinking!

I've seen a few EZ's at the Rough River EZ gathering with the baffling made entirely out of fiberglass cloth and blue silicone, and it appears to hold up great. In fact they lay it up right on the cylinder, so there's no springs or wires holding the baffling that wraps around the cylinder. One guy described his technique of laying up the silicone-impregnated glass very similarly.

Dan

Did you by chance make any test pieces allowing a comparison of parts with and without the fiberglass? I am curious about any qualitative comparisons you might have. Im sure the fiberglassed version would be "tougher" and more resistant to tearing, but perhaps the rubber alone is tough enough for the job? Is there much difference in the overall flexibility due to fiberglass? Anything else?

Ive often heard it said that scat tubing is not a particularly good means by which to move air from the baffles to say a remotely mounted oil cooler, due to the friction/turbulence created from the wire ridges etc on the inside. Never have heard of a better alternative for it though. Perhaps one of your creations would work well.

Very cool stuff

erich

Nice!

Dan, nice work. That's some fresh thinking, and it sure looks like it will work nicely. We built up an inlet duct for a Grumman Lynx once out of glass cloth impregnated with RTV.

I'm especially impressed with your aerodynamic intuition, that is to use larger inlets to permit slower inlet flow speeds. Are you going to "throttle" the cooling mass flow at the exit? That's the way...

Not bad for a "Used car/commercial truck dealer" from Alabama... ;)

Bob, that's more or less where I got the idea. I'm doing some cylinder baffle wrap "gaskets" with a high temp RTV. Because of far lower viscosity, the urethane saturates the glass cloth better.

Erich, didn't bother with any comparisons as you describe. Shore 40A`rubber alone is quite soft....see the spec sheet for elongation, etc.

Bill, the LV inlet and throttled exit sizes were calculated. It will be interesting to see if reality matches the theory.

Last edited:
Beautiful!

Great thinking and great execution.

Seems like this would make a great alternative to the "Filtered Air Box" that Van sells. You could tweak the mold to avoid the starter and not have to cut and redo fiberglass work to get everything to align correctly. Plus there would be a little give in the whole assembly. Or use the two ends of the FAB and use this method to connect the two.

Seems like this is the start of a whole new way of doing things!

BTW, I'm looking forward to seeing the thread on the way you're doing your cowling, Dan.

John

Thank you everyone, but hey, let's not get over-excited.

This is an experiment. Confidence is high, but I have no way of knowing for sure how well it will hold up in the engine compartment of an airplane, long term. For example, I've not yet soaked a sample in engine oil.

As noted, there's also room for further experiments with glass weight, weave, alignment, and number of plies. Ya'll play with it and maybe we'll have something.

Anyway, it's really just another composite layup.

Ya know what I like? Dan's stuff always looks neat as a freakin pin.
"My mind is a cascading waterfall, etc" (Harvey Korman, Blazing Saddles)

See, Dan, that's what sets you apart...

I've been thinking about the plenum connection since I was riveting my VS together. Could never quiet wrap my little brain around what I wanted to do.

You whip something up and it looks like an engineering team spent 3 years in R&D, and it was produced by Burt Rutan himself. Then you throw little comments in--nonchalantly--like soaking a sample in oil to test it, and it's another forehead slapping moment. Who the heck thinks about that stuff???!! Not me, for sure.

Play it down if you want to, but geez, very impressive.

Joe

Update.

Got back to the fourth photo in the first post, the finished duct. The layup schedule was alternating plies top and bottom with the overlaps on the sides. You can see the last overlap in the photo.

The result is a strip eight plies thick on both sides. I've been playing with these ducts and I think 8 plies makes the duct too stiff in terms of moving the intake ring in the vertical axis. Unfortunately, that is exactly the flexibility required to accommodate the vibratory movement of the engine on startup, which is mostly a rotation around the crankshaft axis....the cylinders move up and down. Same required flexibility is true for G-loads.

Pretty good example of what I meant when I talked about experimenting with fabric orientation and quantity.

So, I'm going to lay up another set of ducts, which is no big deal. If constructed using the same cloth, the same number of plies and the same materials, the overlaps need to be on the top and bottom. However, I'm also thinking about trying a harder urethane and less glass. More later.

Last edited:
Per a previous mention, I have some Smooth-On urethane samples soaking in hydrocarbons. The samples are at 36 hours now.

One set is in Shell auto gas mixed with 2-stroke oil, a combination probably worse than avgas. The urethane/fiberglass laminate has swelled; it was about 0.070" and is now about 0.130". The white sample is a block of urethane sponge rubber foam also sold by Smooth-On. It has swelled to something like twice its original size.

I don't expect cooling air ducts to see much gasoline, but this may not be a good material for carburetor intakes. Carbs have been known to flood or leak a little gas.

Regarding cooling ducts, the real question is reaction to oil exposure. The urethane/fiberglass sample in 30wt motor oil has swelled a little, around 0.010". Not too bad. I should probably soak a sample in plain water for comparison; a small degree of swelling could be little more than liquid wicking up the glass strands. We'll see what it looks like in a week or two.

Update: Now at five days into the motor oil exposure test. I can't detect any further swelling when I measure the urethane/glass laminate sample with a micrometer.

The urethane flexible foam suffers structural properties loss in gasoline in addition to gross swelling. The foam is not recommended for fuel exposure, for sure. A foam sample in oil swelled enough to make me re-think the seals on ducts. More later.

Update: Fast forward six years. Now at 480 hours or so. The intake ducts are doing fine. Be aware that this particular urethane is water-sensitive. It softens slightly and turns white when exposed to water. However, water exposure doesn't seem to have any subsequent adverse effect when dried.

Update: Fast forward almost 10 years, and 950 hours. Ducts still doing fine.

Last edited:
OK, finished up the second set of plenum intake ducts.

Per post 17, the previous set was a little stiff. These were made with a firmer urethane (Smooth-On PMC-870, Shore 70A) and less glass fabric. The glass is a single ply of 9.66 oz 16 x 14 plain weave, Wicks #7500.

Finished%20Ducts,%20Round%202.JPG

Procedure is simple. Start with two coats wax and two sprayed coats of PVA on the plugs. The first three coats of urethane were applied with a chip brush at one hour intervals (the PMC-870 pot life). The pre-cut fabric was then impregnated with urethane between plastic sheets and applied to the last wet coat. Only one seam, a generous overlap on the bottom. Smooth the cloth and eliminate bubbles by working the fabric with your gloved fingers. To improve surface finish I then smoothed on an ordinary cotton terry rag (an old hotel washcloth) and peeled it off after just a few minutes. That soaks up all the excess liquid urethane on the surface and you get a pretty decent glass weave pattern finish.

Layup%20Round%202.JPG

After cure, trim, and fit to the plenum, the seal rings were cast (solid urethane) to the entrances using a machined nylon mold. Urethane will not stick to waxed nylon.

Casting%20Rubber%20Ring.JPG

Compared to the previous set these could almost be described as floppy.....until attached to the plenum. They seem to have the right degree of flexibility to accommodate engine movement during startup; the coarse, plain weave glass allows some shear between adjacent fibers in the rubber matrix. The primary load will act to balloon the duct due to dynamic pressure recovery, but the maximum is only about 1 psi. The only real wildcard is finding out if the surfaces will flap or flutter when subjected to in-flight airflow. If they show any evidence of flutter I'll make another set with two plies of glass, or perhaps add some ribs.

Note the PMC-870 is a switch to what Smooth-On calls an industrial urethane recommended for mechanical applications, not mold making. Certainly a different formula, and some quick shop tests find it to be tougher than the urethane intended for concrete molding.

BTW, urethane also allows you to build custom seals and gaskets if you're so inclined. The 390's forward prop governor required a cast seal in the left duct.

Casting%20Governor%20Seal.JPG

Governor%20Seal.JPG

EDIT: A few years later, ducts doing fine.

Plenum%20800w.jpg

Last edited:
Regarding your water soaking test... if the stuff you are using is polyester urethane, then it will probably-maybe eventually break down if you soak it long enough. On the other hand, polyester urethane is more resistant to aromatic hydrocarbons than its cousin, polyether urethane. I suspect that hydrocarbon resistance is the more important property for cowl ducts.

A little synopsis of properties here:
http://www.stevensurethane.com/primer.html

I doubt that moisture resistance is a big deal, but then you do live in the humid South ;)

For the record, I'm no expert- I used to make stuff that had to live in the deep ocean, where polyester urethanes were definitely not happy.

Last edited:
I would expect nothing less from DanH. His attention to detail and amazingly high standards of craftsmanship are inspiring.

(re water)... if the stuff you are using is polyester urethane, then it will probably-maybe eventually break down if you soak it long enough. On the other hand, polyester urethane is more resistant to aromatic hydrocarbons than its cousin, polyether urethane. I suspect that hydrocarbon resistance is the more important property for cowl ducts.

PMC-870 is a polyether. The Smooth-On tech line says all their urethanes are polyethers with two exceptions; 724 and 726 are polyesters.

So, water shouldn't be too much of a problem but caution is advised for a lot of oil exposure. I'm not recommending gasoline exposure.

POSTSCRIPT: May be some confusion here. The PMC-870 is water-sensitive, no question.

Last edited:
The urethane rubbers like PMC and Vytaflex are essentially petrol-based materials and they will over time absorb fuels, oils, solvents - so your recommendation to minimize that sort of contact is spot on;

nice work with the lamination

you could also vacuum bag this lamination using a PVA bag under vacuum.
You'd need a vacuum jig and the PVA bag would have to be stripped about 4-6 hours mixing the urethane rubber.

You would 'string' the material into the lamination and trim the excess. By doing under vacuum you would not get any voids between the lamination and it would be consistently thick. You also wouldn't have to sop up excess rubber with the cotton....

Hello Charles, and welcome to VAF.

Appreciate the link. Looks like they have some interesting products. What are you building with urethane rubber (show us please!).

Aviation vs. Auto gas

Dan wrote regarding his fuel / oil soak test: "One set is in Shell auto gas mixed with 2-stroke oil, a combination probably worse than avgas..."

For what it's worth - On Ellison's TBI site; they refer to a test with Av fuel and Auto fuel poured into a styrofoam cup. The auto fuel dissolves the cup, the Av fuel does not.

I believe Dan's test is correct, testing the 'worst case', so this is just a for-what-it's-worth piece of trivia. :)

I've had good luck repairing production aircraft plastic pieces with a combination of regular fiberglass household screen material saturated with an ABS cement.

I'll have to try this urethane rubber with some Kevlar fabric to try and create a homemade version of these cool flying shoes:

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/

Long term report on oil resistance (see post #18, this thread):

The black urethane strip sample has been submerged in 30wt motor oil a bit over two years now. It has hardened a little, but shows no other change. 'Nuff said, test concluded.

The ducts are holding up fine on the airplane, mostly a matter of physical abuse and heat.

POSTSCRIPTS:

Now April 2014, 345 hours, the rubber ducts are doing fine in service.

Now February 2016, 650 hours, still doing fine.

December 2019, over 900 hours, still doing fine.

Last edited:
Long term report on oil resistance (see post #18, this thread):

The black urethane strip sample has been submerged in 30wt motor oil a bit over two years now. It has hardened a little, but shows no other change. 'Nuff said, test concluded.

The ducts are holding up fine on the airplane, mostly a matter of physical abuse and heat.

POSTSCRIPT:

Now April 2014, 345 hours, the rubber ducts are doing fine in service.

Dan, thanks for the update. Just to confirm, is that 345 hours on the original 8 layered ducts, or the second version with only one FG layer?

The single ply ducts are doing fine at six years and 600+ hours.

UPDATE late 2021...now doing fine at 11 years and 1000+ hours.

Last edited:
flexible epoxy

hi all,

glad to see that some already had the same idea i have now about custom flexible ducts.

i have found in france a flexible epoxy resin called resoltech 1600 which has a shore D 46 mechanical property once cured.

have any of you worked tried that? it really looks unusual for an epoxy to be so soft. it however has a 72 % elongation at rupture.

as it is epoxy, it sticks well to any other epoxy...
Could this be a good choice for a flexible duct?

olivier

The single ply ducts are doing fine at six years and 600+ hours.

Hi Dan,

I have one question : You made the actual duct first, than you added a ring to that duct.

I thought the PMC resin used was not sticking well to itself, ie you cannot put liquid resin on an already cured part. Am I correct? How did you assembled the ring and the duct?

Olivier.

i have found in france a flexible epoxy resin called resoltech 1600 which has a shore D 46 mechanical property once cured.
have any of you worked tried that? it really looks unusual for an epoxy to be so soft. it however has a 72 % elongation at rupture.

Oliver, my apologies...I missed your April posts.

Resoltech 1600 does look interesting. I think the wildcard would be how well it holds up to cyclic stress. Engine applications build cycles very rapidly.

Which is not to say you should not try it! I can imagine a plenum lid with integral intake ducts, built with two different co-cured resins. Take a look at the datasheet. The 1600/1606 flexible system is entirely compatible with Resoltech's 1050/1056S Shore D90 system. It should be possible to lay up a one-piece plenum lid (as James does) using 1600 for the ducts and 1050 for the remainder of the lid.

I have one question : You made the actual duct first, than you added a ring to that duct.
I thought the PMC resin used was not sticking well to itself, ie you cannot put liquid resin on an already cured part. Am I correct? How did you assembled the ring and the duct?

The duct was trimmed to length. The end was brushed with Ure-Bond adhesive, them immediately placed in the ring mold, followed by a urethane rubber pour. The co-cure seems to have worked very well. See post 18.

The caveat is that I was using PMC-870 rubber, which is no longer available, and less desirable than the current PMC-780. I can't promise adhesion results with 780, as I've not tried it.

https://www.smooth-on.com/products/ure-bond-ii/

thank you for your reply danh.

i tried 2 flexible epoxies, one from sicomin and the other from resoltech.

i made samples with one ply of kevlar bid cloth. result is way too stiff, despite being quite flexible for an epoxy, and i think not be ok for my ducts.

i also have to take care about heat as exhaust pipes are not that far.

i will hence look in the high temp silicone mold max 60. i will post the result once i would have made trials.

olivier.
orion g801

Back