- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 03-18-2017, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry DeCamp View Post
Dan A,
What do you use to thin West Epoxy with ? Doesn't an evaporating solvent pose the same pinhole outgas recurrence as solvent borne high fill primer Re : Dan Hortons comments. Not flaming, looking to learn cause I need a better way on my current project..Larry
Epoxy can be thinned with lacquer thinner or acetone. I wouldn't do that in a structural situation without tech data from the manufacturer. As a pinhole filler, it shouldn't be a problem as long as you keep the amount of thinner to a relatively small amount (<10% for sure).

That said, I've found that as a pinhole filler, you can squeegee in normal epoxy - no need to thin it.
Old 03-18-2017, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
That said, I've found that as a pinhole filler, you can squeegee in normal epoxy - no need to thin it.
Thinner - - EEEEk

+1, I took a micro mix with fast hardener and used a hard rubber, sharp edged squeege, raked both directions to fill the holes. Let harden, only light sanding needed.

Then did the same with neat resin, slow hardener, and got all off that I could to seal but not have to spend any time resanding. Scuffed with red scotchbrite and primed.

The hard way is to lay on the resin thick and have to sand it back to smooth. Using a squeege avoids that. Some use a thin steel one, but that did not work for me with the small area and contours of the transition on the canopy.
Old 03-18-2017, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chattin35 View Post
Anyone use Smooth Prime on the canopy fairing? Section 5 of the manual mentions it for the cowling.
I used Smooth Prime on the RV-10 as my Lancair IV neighbor swears by it. Never again. It more than doubled the work.

Carl
Old 03-20-2017, 09:01 AM

Smile

Carl,
I'll bet I know your Dogwood neighbor... he loves that Smooth Prime... but I agree with you...
Smooth prime is simple, and usually trouble free for inexperienced users, but it's not the most efficient product out there...

Tell Bill that Brad said hello ;-)

Brad Simmons
Airframes Inc.
Milan, TN
731-686-3610
Old 03-28-2017, 07:43 AM

Default Smooth Prime Follow up

After conflicting opinions, I decided to stick with Van's recommendation and use Smooth Prime to protect the canopy fairing as was happy with the results. Being water based was a bonus too.

I just rolled it on thick (3-4 coats) with a mini paint roller, let harden overnight, and sanded smooth with 400 grit sand paper the next morning.

It's probably not ready for that Oshkosh winning paint scheme. But, I plan to fly for a couple years unpainted, anyway. So, my goal was simply to cover the scuffed aluminum and protect the canopy fairing from UV.

Here's a pic.

Old 03-28-2017, 08:59 AM

Default Nicely Done

I am going to be using my West Systems epoxy to correct a cowling mistake and will try to thin it down and use it this weekend.

If I ever manage to figure out this picture thingee on here I will post the results.

Dave
Wings complere

Fuse coming along, Canopy looking good!
AME reviewed and repaired O-320-Lyc installed