What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Broken Gas canopy struts on SLSA

Ex Bonanza Bucko

Well Known Member
I have had three fail in the first 11 months I've owned the airplane. The plastic rod ends fall apart. Van's sells replacements for $20 each but I'd pay about five times that for a strut with metal rod ends that won't break.

Because my airplane is "certified" I can't just go to NAPA and buy replacements.

If you have any input I'd love to hear it.

EBB

This has been a problem, you might search the archives, someone was searching for the same pressures in a metal ended one.

Hey Bruce, If you find a metal end replacement, please post it on here, so we all don't have to reinvent the wheel.

Thanks.............Tom

I have had three fail in the first 11 months I've owned the airplane. The plastic rod ends fall apart. Van's sells replacements for $20 each but I'd pay about five times that for a strut with metal rod ends that won't break.

Because my airplane is "certified" I can't just go to NAPA and buy replacements.

If you have any input I'd love to hear it.

EBB

EBB,

What is Vans saying about this? It should be covered under the warranty right?
Are they aware of a problem and are they looking at a better option?

BTW with fingers crossed I've not had a problem in this area.

Last edited:
The problem seemed to surface after we had to drill out the end of the strut to a larger hole when doing the pivot strengthening bulletin.

One of the disadvantages of the tip up canopy including those that tip to the side is the sail area it presents to the wind. I used to think parking into the wind would protect me from damage until a gust of wind slammed mine down while offloading baggage. The canopy bottom trimm got bent because something was on top of the longeron as I pulled it out of the baggage compartment. I have been thinking about making an aluminum tube to fasten to the canopy bow and crash arch when I open the canopy in wind so that the canopy could not pivot and there would be no strain on the gas strut ends. Has anyone done something like that?

If it is an SLSA, you MUST use parts supplied by Vans unless you can get written approval to use an alternate part.

To keep the canopy from blowing DOWN in the wind:

Get a piece of 1/2 inch PVC pipe a few inches long (measure).
(CPVC may be better because of the smaller OD.)

Cut a slot down the side the long way - just wide enough to let the inner rod of the gas strut slip through.

Raise the canopy all the way and slip this on the rod where the wind cannot compress the gas strut anymore. (Park facing into the wind.)

You can make a pair of them if you think necessary.

strut

The problem seemed to surface after we had to drill out the end of the strut to a larger hole when doing the pivot strengthening bulletin.

Hi I must have missed that bulletin can someone give me the number of it
Ashley

And I had one end of a strut break so made one out of aluminium round bar

As I remember it was not a notification or service bulletin. Someone posted a message on this forum indicating they noticed a plans revision and a new part number for the bushing. The new bushing minimizes flexing of the attach bolt. I installed it, and, it helps.

Find the page for the installation of the strut, then find the new page in the revisions.

Found it..... http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=97766&highlight=canopy+strut

Last edited:
To keep the canopy from blowing DOWN in the wind:

Get a piece of 1/2 inch PVC pipe a few inches long (measure).
(CPVC may be better because of the smaller OD.)

Cut a slot down the side the long way - just wide enough to let the inner rod of the gas strut slip through.

Raise the canopy all the way and slip this on the rod where the wind cannot compress the gas strut anymore. (Park facing into the wind.)

You can make a pair of them if you think necessary.

Like this sort of!;)
da4bbce7eefc4340cbbe69066daf2641_zpsujm3drqu.jpg

That was it Marty, thanks for the help.
As I remember it was not a notification or service bulletin. Someone posted a message on this forum indicating they noticed a plans revision and a new part number for the bushing. The new bushing minimizes flexing of the attach bolt. I installed it, and, it helps.

Find the page for the installation of the strut, then find the new page in the revisions.

Found it..... http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=97766&highlight=canopy+strut

Back