What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Width of Tailplane RV-6A

PH-SCP

Well Known Member
Hi Guys,

I am moving an RV-6A and need the dimensions of the horizontal tailplane, in other words, the width of the horizontal stabilizer and elevators, including the fairings.

Anyone out there with those dimensions ?

Thanks a lot.

Steve's (Zero4Zulu) measurement of 106 inches is right on the money...just measured the width of an extra 6 HS without fiberglass and end to end is just under 101 inches.

Hey folks. I NEED SUGGESTIONS on trailering an RV6A with the wings off.

Ready? Go.

Thank you!!!!!

Doug

Hey folks. I NEED SUGGESTIONS on trailering an RV6A with the wings off.

Ready? Go.

Thank you!!!!!

Doug

Roll back tow truck is the right answer.

You might remove the HS and elevators while you're at it. It won't take much time and will eliminate a bit of risk.

I trailered my -6 with the HS installed, it was 15 miles of sheer terror. Do yourself a favor and remove the HS. If it gets whacked on something you will do some REAL damage!

+1 roll on tow truck without tail feathers. Just moved to airport and was low stress for me and the driver. Funny when I called Wally?s towing about moving an airplane, ?oh yeah we?ve moved a bunch of those.?

For the 6A, remember that the gear towers bolt to the wing spar, so unless you have or fabricate a false spar, the gear will come off when the wings come off.

I moved mine in a large 26 foot uhaul truck, on the gear. The gear was wider than the entry, but fit in the box. I just tweaked it to the side a bit and put one wheel in at a time. I dod come up with a winch system to help get it up the ramp.

Back