VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 02-02-2017, 09:57 AM

Default Achieving proper rivet compression?

I requested some information on the Numatix 3050 and was sent pricing, a brochure, and the operation manual. The manual indicated that it wasn't necessary to set the rivet set depth so it sounds like you squeeze it until it looks right. Not sure about that. Can someone clarify?
RV-14 QB #140212
VS done (by previous builder)
Rudder finished & elevators almost done
2017 DUES PAID
Marion, IN MZZ
Old 02-02-2017, 10:55 AM

Ray,

I responded to your post to prevent mis-information about my product being generated on this forum. Others don't know the answer as well as I do, as they didn't design the unit, patent the unit, sell to Boeing, Delta, and so forth. This should not be construed as a plug for my product, simply a direction to find the answer.

Please read the following page (link):

http://www.numatx-tools.com/detailed-info_5.html

In particular, midway down the page: WHY IS CONSTANT FORCE IMPORTANT?

If anyone has other specific questions, such as the cost, those questions can be directed to Numatx.
www.numatx-tools.com
numatx@att.net
Old 02-02-2017, 11:54 AM

I recently purchased one of these units and absolutely love it. It is incredibly lightweight and easy to use. I picked up my old pneumatic squeezer today just to try it and it pained me (literally).

But in all seriousness.....this tool is probably one of the best innovations in building I have seen. I really would love it if Mark would design a mini alligator for this setup also as that would just complement it perfectly.

It is a slightly different mindset on how to utilize it. But, once you get your pressures dialed in, there are no rivet set adjustments required. I went overboard and rigged up two regulators with a switching valve between them. One is for 3/32" rivets and one is for 1/8" rivets. All I have to do is flip a switch depending on which size rivet I want to do. This is definitely not a requirement, but I sometimes like to make things more complicated than they need to be. Plus it looks really cool. Mark can give you more information on the best way to set up the unit, but it is really simple, and it is pretty darn awesome. It is also amazing the areas that you can get into and not feel fatigued by holding a big bulky rivet squeezer.

Numatx also used to produce a rivet puller which I have had the opportunity to try out. I really wish that they would start producing those again also because it is so much lighter and more comfortable to use than the large units.

Until you have tried one of these, you don't know what you are missing.

Can you tell that I am a very happy customer?

Steve

Please email us at aircraftspecialty@gmail.com with any questions.

Your Source for Custom CNC parts, CNC cut instrument panels and labeling, Teflon fuel/oil hoses, Headsets, and many other items for Experimental Aircraft.
Old 02-02-2017, 12:12 PM

I think this is exclusively a foot operated squeezer. That can be good when you need good hand control of the surfaces to be riveted, but a potential nightmare if you are trying to squeeze that hard-to-get-at rivet in the fuselage while contorting your body in a near impossible direction. It would be nice to have an actuation button option on the squeezer itself.
Old 02-02-2017, 02:21 PM

Diamond,

Yes, there A FEW times when control at the handle would come in handy.

If I were to run into this "potential nightmare", I would simply say, "Hey (helper name here), put down your beer, and when I say to, push down on this pedal. But not until I say to do so". And you (the production foreman) being in firm control of the operation, make darn sure you are ready to squeeze the rivet when you say "press the pedal now".

I do have a remote control option that I am not currently offering. Why not? It wont permit feathering, costs a little more, and there does not seem be a large demand for it, for the occasional need you refer to.
www.numatx-tools.com
numatx@att.net
Old 02-02-2017, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond View Post
I think this is exclusively a foot operated squeezer. That can be good when you need good hand control of the surfaces to be riveted, but a potential nightmare if you are trying to squeeze that hard-to-get-at rivet in the fuselage while contorting your body in a near impossible direction. It would be nice to have an actuation button option on the squeezer itself.
I suppose that this is one of those situations that could occur but doesn't happen that often. The solution would be to have a "helper" as Mark stated who can hit the foot pedal for you. Otherwise, you could always bring the foot pedal in with you and actuate it with your hand if you really wanted to. The unit is light enough to easily handle it with one hand...unlike a traditional squeezer that you have to hold with two.

Another nightmare situation might be laying in the fuselage with a traditional hydraulic squeezer and suffer from muscle fatigue due to the weight...drop it on your head and knock you out! Hahaha....

In all seriousness though....I have both a traditional unit and this one. If I had to get rid of one of them.....there would be no debate. The Numatx would stay and the other one would go away.

I don't have a setup like this yet...but the other really cool thing will be if I ever decide to attach it to the c yoke for dimpling. It turns it into a one person operation for large skins because both hands are free to maneuver the skins.

Your Source for Custom CNC parts, CNC cut instrument panels and labeling, Teflon fuel/oil hoses, Headsets, and many other items for Experimental Aircraft.
Old 02-03-2017, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aircraft Specialty View Post
I recently purchased one of these units and absolutely love it. It is incredibly lightweight and easy to use. I picked up my old pneumatic squeezer today just to try it and it pained me (literally).
Can you tell us which model you bought and what it cost?
Old 02-03-2017, 09:42 AM

Just to give you an idea, in December 2010 the prices and part numbers I ordered from Cleaveland Tools was as follows. I already had a couple of additional yokes.

So the basic unit was $750, to which I added a swivel fitting, a couple of quick connects and the DRDT power head for dimpling.

Yes the total $ was more than the average air squeezer, but the ease of use, lighter weight, and the ability to use 2 hands for riveting and dimpling was more than worth it. I think it retains good resale value, but I will not part with it until I'm too old to squeeze another rivet!

The other consideration was arthritis in my hands which did not bother me using the unit.

The equipment has evolved slightly since I got mine, and no doubt prices have as well, so I suggest contacting Numatex directly for the current information...

Hope this helps...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
ITEM# DESCRIPTION QTY TOTAL
SHPI3000 Hydro-Pneumatic 3000lbf Pressure Intens1.00 $405.00
Ship Via:
SHPS3060 Hydro-Pneumatic 3000lbf Standard C Head1.00 $345.00
Ship Via:
SHPS100 Hydro-Pneumatic Swivel Fitting 1.00 $90.00
Ship Via:
SHPQF200 Hydro-Pneumatic Quick Disconnect 1.00 $48.00
Ship Via:
SHPQM200 Hydro-Pneumatic Quick Disconnect 2.00 $84.00
Ship Via:
SHPD3400 Hydro-Pneumatic DRDT Power Head 1.00 $330.00
Ship Via:

SUB TOTAL: $1,302.00

Membership renewed Nov 30, 2017
Old 02-03-2017, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
Can you tell us which model you bought and what it cost?
Here is the link. It's the 3050 model and I have a dual swivel hydraulic fitting on it. http://numatx-tools.com/new_3000_lbf_squeezer_10.html

I believe the cost on it for the combo is right around $800.

As a comparison, here is what I found on a quick lookup for pricing on a traditional unit.

http://www.browntool.com/Listview/ta...4/Default.aspx

Similar pricing, but the Numatx is a much more compact design. Like I said, I have both traditional squeezers and the Numatx, and I love the compact and lightweight design.

Steve

Old 02-03-2017, 05:19 PM

I love this squeezer. Mark is great with customer service. Had a foot pedal go bad and he replaced it no charge. Also, the new shear pins that hold the yokes in place are great and allow quick change out of yokes.

Mark also has a great set of plans to make a c-frame that the Numatx can attach to so that you can use it to dimple. I think that it takes about $250 in metal, including having the part made which is required to attach the Numatx to the c-frame. I had my brother-in-law weld it for me. Also, I used larger square tube metal for the c-frame than called for in the plans, which increased the price.

RV-14 (serial number 140073)
N73XP (at least that # reserved now)