What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Purchase

canadianjoe

I'm New Here
Hi Everyone,
I know it's probably not the best time to be asking these questions but with a lot of time at home lately I've had some time to think more about buying and building an RV-10. I've seen a bunch of builders on youtube and actually one in person about a month ago who is doing an RV build (not a 10 but I don't remember exactly which one) currently. I've wanted to go back to the hanger and talk to him but it was a group project which I am assuming isn't currently happening due to the situation.

I have a few questions for my fellow Canadian builders out there.
1 - how did you get your RV here? I mean clearing customs, shipping anything that might point me in the right direction. I'm near Detroit so I have some experience clearing customs myself but commercially and privately but in the current situation I wouldn't be able to cross myself to get it so it would have to be shipped here or be patient and wait for everything to calm down a bit. (I know this isn't essential to do now but with all this time on my hands I'd love to get started sooner rather then later)
2 - Tools, did you get them locally or from one of the recommended places in the US?
3- Costs, I know this is a bad question to ask but I'm putting it out there hoping someone can help me out. I keep getting numbers from stuff in the US but is it possible to purchase some of this stuff locally? I'm not talking the initial kit or power plant / prop. More the avionics, and the rest of the final stuff.
4 - I'm trying to understand the process of building, I understand the kit and power plant part of it, but the avionics and final panel and seats and all that stuff. What comes from Vans and what are the items I'll have to try to find?
Lastly how much different is the actual build process from what happens in the US. I've heard there's different inspections and different requirements with regards to priming but I can't seem to find concrete answers. Does the manual tell you when things need to be inspected?

Sorry for the long initial post, I'm a relatively recent PPL from near Windsor Ontario. I started my training two years ago and completed it within a year. I proved to myself I could do it even with two young children, a full time job and a part time small business. Now I want to move on to the next challenge in my life which is to build this plane. I've wanted my own aircraft since before I started flying and now that I've discovered Van's I'm excited to be closer to making it a possibility.

Thanks in advance,
Joe

Last edited:
Thanks Mike,
It was a long post and it's taken me a while to actually sign up to start asking questions so I'm just glad I finally did it.

I've seen a bunch of builders on youtube and actually one in person about a month ago who is doing an RV build (not a 10 but I don't remember exactly which one) currently. I've wanted to go back to the hanger and talk to him but it was a group project which I am assuming isn't currently happening due to the situation.

You probably mean Steve and the CH2A team? They'll be more than happy to help you understand the answers to your questions, I am certain. And a great resource for asking about the import to Canada. Many builders will have us ship to a freight depot at a US border city and then either have an agent take care of crossing or do it themselves. We can also have it shipped to your door, if you want it that way. Our Kits team can help answer your questions about that option, just ask! [email protected] is the email address. I really need to write an article about that subject. It's on the list now!

2 - Tools, did you get them locally or from one of the recommended places in the US?

There are a variety of tool companies out there, but I will say that you can't go wrong reaching out to Mike at Cleaveland Aircraft Tools. He's a builder and will shoot you straight with any information you need. And here's a bunch of info including tool companies people typically use.

3- Costs, I know this is a bad question to ask but I'm putting it out there hoping someone can help me out. I keep getting numbers from stuff in the US but is it possible to purchase some of this stuff locally? I'm not talking the initial kit or power plant / prop. More the avionics, and the rest of the final stuff.

While I'm not sure what options there are for avionics etc. in Canda, I am willing to bet someone will chime in.

4 - I'm trying to understand the process of building, I understand the kit and power plant part of it, but the avionics and final panel and seats and all that stuff. What comes from Vans and what are the items I'll have to try to find?

Unless you're building an RV-12, avionics, interior and whatnot are all sourced from your choice of vendor. You can go the complete wire-it-yourself route, or you can get pre-made panels that are already built, tested, wired and plug-n-play. There are a bunch of great interior shops around that can make exactly what you want.

Lastly how much different is the actual build process from what happens in the US. I've heard there's different inspections and different requirements with regards to priming but I can't seem to find concrete answers. Does the manual tell you when things need to be inspected?

Our construction plans do not outline what needs to be inspected in Canada, or when. The CAA has documents that help you with that, and of course you can talk with any experienced Candian RV builder and they'll be able to fill you in.

Sorry for the long initial post, I'm a relatively recent PPL from near Windsor Ontario. I started my training two years ago and completed it within a year. I proved to myself I could do it even with two young children, a full time job and a part time small business. Now I want to move on to the next challenge in my life which is to build this plane. I've wanted my own aircraft since before I started flying and now that I've discovered Van's I'm excited to be closer to making it a possibility.

Welcome to VAF - it's a fun and helpful family of folks! Feel free to let me/us know if you have specific questions. I appreciate the ones you asked - they point out a couple of info gaps I can help fill in some future publications.

greg

Joe,
I live near st.thomas and have been building and flying RVs and Rockets since 1993, 11 completed so far.
You may call me at 519-281-1369

Tom Martin

Hi Everyone,
I know it's probably not the best time to be asking these questions but with a lot of time at home lately I've had some time to think more about buying and building an RV-10. I've seen a bunch of builders on youtube and actually one in person about a month ago who is doing an RV build (not a 10 but I don't remember exactly which one) currently. I've wanted to go back to the hanger and talk to him but it was a group project which I am assuming isn't currently happening due to the situation.

I have a few questions for my fellow Canadian builders out there.
1 - how did you get your RV here? I mean clearing customs, shipping anything that might point me in the right direction. I'm near Detroit so I have some experience clearing customs myself but commercially and privately but in the current situation I wouldn't be able to cross myself to get it so it would have to be shipped here or be patient and wait for everything to calm down a bit. (I know this isn't essential to do now but with all this time on my hands I'd love to get started sooner rather then later)

Thanks in advance,
Joe

I have been building a RV -14 since November and in the Belle River area. Flight Chops is at the CH2A and is currently closed. There is another builder in Kingsville who is on this site as well.

We have figured out it is easiest to get the kits shipped by/to ABF trucking dock in Romulus, MI and then pick it up from there.

https://arcb.com/abf-freight

No broker is required. Just pay tax at the bridge when you bring it across.

The Canadian procedures for construction can be found here https://www.md-ra.com/en/

I purchased most of my tools from US suppliers and had them shipped to a US address than paid tax when I brought them back.

Last edited:
Joe,

Good to see another Kingsville native is going the RV route. I built my 8 and fly it out of Leamington CLM2. I’d be glad to try to answer any questions you have. I’ll send you a PM with my phone and email address.

On the questions you posted:

1.Shipping to a terminal in Detroit, picking up, and clearing it yourself is no problem. Just pay the tax when you cross. Small packages can also ship to Detroit Mail Box - same thing, pick up and clear yourself. Avoid UPS direct to Canada as their brokerage costs are ridiculous. Avoid using commercial brokers.

2. I got most of my aircraft type tools from Avery Tool but they are no longer in business. Also used Aircraft Tool Supply.

3. A “local” source for avionics is Aircraft Spruce Canada in Brantford. Others like Brant Aero also in Brantford could be a source but you’d be paying their mark up. Regardless - most everything is US sourced. Shop around and buy direct if you can. My panel and wiring was all DIY but many go to panel builders like Stein.

4. Their are various great sources for seats & upholstery in the US that know RVs. I suppose you could also DIY or use a local upholstery shop but the learning curve here would probably not be worth it. Van’s has seat foam but you still need one of the shops to cover. Regarding priming - do a search on VAF and you’ll have hours of reading.
RAA Canada has a Amateur Built Aircraft Builder’s Manual that will answer a lot of how to & rules & regulation questions. Our local MDRA inspector Mac Mazurek is a great source and will likely be the inspector for your project. Also the md-ra website Glenn (Jetmart) mentioned.

PS - there is also an RV-14 being started in Kingsville that could also be a contact for you.

Last edited:
The other Kingsville chiming in here :)

My -14 kit was sent to the ABF freight depot in Romulus, so I just rented a UHaul locally and brought it back through the tunnel. Just paid HST on the purchase price, converted to CAD. Vans supplies you the paperwork you need (invoice, etc.). Easy as pie.

I buy from Aircraft Spruce (US and Canada), Aircraft Tool, Cleaveland and others. I work in Detroit a couple of times a month, so I have them shipped to my work and declare things on the way back.

I'm near "downtown" Kingsville, off Division. I'd be glad to show you my build once things clear up with the self-isolation.

Wow, I want to say a big thanks for the amazing responses. I wasn't really expecting that so many would be quick to help. What a great community!

Greg, I do mean them, though I don't think I've met with Steve, I was in contact with Perry through the Windsor Flying Club. I will give Mike a call thank you for the recommendation.

Tom, thank for I will be giving you a call soon.

Gleen, thanks for the info. I usually but things in the US and bring them over myself so I'm glad that will work I just have to wait until everything settles a bit. (part of me was hoping to starting during all the time at home but hopefully this is over sooner rather then later)

Dennis, thank you too, I've used Detroit mail box quite a few times so I'm glad that will work again. I've talked to Stein Air already so I'm glad I'm going in the right direction. I happened to notice a post about them on Reddit and he was a great resource for some of the questions I had.

Todd, great to hear, I'm closer to Union but would love to talk after this isolation stuff clears up.

Thank you to everyone again, you've giving me a ton of confidence that if I need help at least there are people out there willing to help.

Joe

Back