What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Starter didn?t disengage

Mongoose

When I started my RV-14A today I had a grinding noise and my amps were showing about 34. Once I got the cowling off I discovered the starter gear was still engaged. I got it clear and then when I would turn on the master it would engage again, it didn?t crank the engine however. I tapped the starter solenoid and now is all good. I assume a bad solenoid but wanted to get other opinions.

Thanks.

Starter Switch malfunction?

I had this on my new 10. The starter button had a burr on it and would stick in the engaged position. That said, your comment about clearing it with a hammer on the solenoid would point to a bad solenoid. They can also hang up due to mfg defects.

Larry

I had this on my new 10. The starter button had a burr on it and would stick in the engaged position. That said, your comment about clearing it with a hammer on the solenoid would point to a bad solenoid. They can also hang up due to mfg defects.

Larry
Plus one, as it looks like the solenoid was stuck. You are not the first one but probably not so early in the hours of use.

My starter solenoid stuck on too.....after 900 hours.
My repair included a panel light indicating the starter was engaged.
There is a lot going on up front when this happens and a few tell tale signs on the panel let alone the strange sounds....so I now a light that confirms the issue quickly......although it may never happen again.

When I started my RV-14A today I had a grinding noise and my amps were showing about 34. Once I got the cowling off I discovered the starter gear was still engaged. I got it clear and then when I would turn on the master it would engage again, it didn?t crank the engine however. I tapped the starter solenoid and now is all good. I assume a bad solenoid but wanted to get other opinions.

Thanks.

I'd still have a look at the starter switch.

My starter solenoid stuck on too.....after 900 hours. My repair included a panel light indicating the starter was engsded.

+1 on what Bob did. It?s very easy to place a small LED on the panel that blinks when the starter is engaged. Cheap insurance

You might also check the starter gear to ring gear tooth clearance. My neighbor's RV with an IO390 required a shim to get the right clearance for clean engage/disengage operation.

If a shim is needed, make your own...The factory shim is almost $500!

The Vertical Power systems and most newer EFIS units have an input to sense that the starter solenoid is engaged and show a corresponding alert. One wire and worth it! ;)

The Vertical Power systems and most newer EFIS units have an input to sense that the starter solenoid is engaged and show a corresponding alert. One wire and worth it! ;)

Exactly how does it sense a physically stuck solenoid?

Exactly how does it sense a physically stuck solenoid?

I have mine wired to sense voltage after the firewall starter solenoid. Obviously that would tell you if it?s the firewall solenoid or ignition switch.

Was wondering the same thing Walt, about sensing a stuck solenoid on the starter.

I'm pretty sure you're correct that it's an issue with the starter solenoid. There's a ~30A transient when the solenoid is first engaged that should drop to ~8.5A. It drops because there's two coils on the solenoid and the second one gets shorted out when the switch is engaged. If either the battery isn't attached or the switch somehow fails, it will reach ~34A steady state--that's a pretty big clue that the problem is with the starter solenoid rather than the button. I recently measured this on the SkyTec starter on my Aerovee engine.

Back