Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 02-20-2020, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brdog42 View Post
Thanks for testing and feedback. How durable do you think the antennas are? I can see myself snapping one off from the bottom of the RV rudders. Replacing a standard TED transponder antenna isn’t too expensive. But the X unit??

Also, so the location on the bottom of the rudder seems to be fine for ground based locations. Any feedback on Aireon reception?
I agree, those antennas look very easy to break and when you consider the total cost now ($2499 plus another $800 at least for the control head) it looks like unless you really need it the path to 1090 is still cheaper with the panel mount transponder and safer from breaking anything. The EchoUAT keeps looking like the best deal for now. I’m going to bet that other countries around us Mexico, Canada, Bahamas and other Caribbean islands, will design some rules to accommodate GA aircraft with UAT even if it’s just for limited areas.

They’re still testing the X with Aireon so I guess the jury is still out but I don’t see why it wouldn’t work with such a clear path from antenna to satellite.
RV-8 N52VM: OnSpeed Gen2 AOA-3D, Dynon D-180, Autopilot, Titan 0-360A1A, Hartzell C/S, INS-429 IFR & GPS496, WingX & Stratux for backup & ADS-B IN. Enjoying life while building a FREE campsite for pilots www.facebook.com/VacaMooAirport/

Exempt by 3 out of the 10 ways but I still donated.
Old 02-20-2020, 09:35 PM

Answering both questions above:

Dave: My unit shipped with an AV-10 like Ivan's. Unlike Ivan, I haven't gone glass yet so I had to work with the AV-10. I have to say, the UI is painful once you've been spoiled by having all 7 digits available across the bottom of the Garmin 327 screen. Entering your code is Turn (to position) Push (to select that position) Turn (to change digit) Push (to confirm digit) Repeat. A lot more work than just hitting 1-2-3-4 across the bottom of the 327. Apart from that, the screen on the AV-10 is very small, and it packs in a lot of info (ALT/STBY/ON status, 4-digit code, Pressure altitude, and two status icons). The code is the largest, Pressure alt almost unreadable but who uses it really anyway.

It's clearly been designed with the intent of using it with an EFIS (or the AV-20 and AV-30) and I can't fault them for that. I look forward to going glass and being able to just wire it in.

Tim: My unit was a slightly earlier model that has a full plastic enclosure... It covers the antennas. For my tailwheel installation, i'm happier with that as it's a little more robust. I've smacked it with my tailwheel bar twice, and both times thought "oh ****" but haven't broken it. A hangar neighbour who also has an RV-6 and is a tester received a newer unit that doesn't have the full enclosure. He re-welded his tailwheel bar so it curves around the space where the tailBeacon sits. He won't hit it now.

Definitely, if you hit it hard, you will break it. It's just PCB material. We've both fed back our thoughts on that choice, but I suppose the target market is the largest market: tricycle gear aircraft. On a Cessna it would be well over your head. On an -A model RV, it wouldbe up where you'd put an eye out with it, but probably less likely to break it.
Old 02-21-2020, 08:30 AM

Rob, Thanks. I know the technology inside the uAvionix devices is very good. I like the wing and tail devices, but thats just begging me to break off a fin antenna. Yet, Im sure Id find a way to mitigate the risk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot135pd View Post
Im going to bet that other countries around us Mexico, Canada, Bahamas and other Caribbean islands, will design some rules to accommodate GA aircraft with UAT even if its just for limited areas.

Theyre still testing the X with Aireon so I guess the jury is still out but I dont see why it wouldnt work with such a clear path from antenna to satellite.
Id take you up on that over an oil filter But, we both may be done with are oil changes before we find out the winner. I know a local GA Pilot well who also works for Aireon. Over two (maybe three) years we were hangar flying & ADS-B talking. Theyve been putting 10 satellites with ADS-B / launch since the December 2106 launch, IIRC. Tracking MH370 came up. I asked, Will your tech be able to replace the NAT tracks (North Atlantic Tracks) and WATRS routes (West Atlantic Route System)?
His answer was its already been agreed to and gave a timeline to planned cancellation of those systems. Aireon was then in discussions to replace the Pacific track system as well. I think they also were talking to the Caribbean Islands, Bahamas, etc. to use their satellite surveillance system to enhance/replace what limited radar coverage currently in use. Their belief is better ATC service for less money can be done with a space based system in these areas. Knowing the person I was talking to, Ill bet on him and his team. Very smart but humble. Thats why I think 978 will be U.S. only area. Time will tell.
KCHD AZ
__|__
*>O-(_)-O<*
Old 02-21-2020, 08:44 AM

Default TBX

Quote:
Thanks for testing and feedback. How durable do you think the antennas are? I can see myself snapping one off from the bottom of the RV rudders. Replacing a standard TED transponder antenna isnt too expensive. But the X unit??
Yes I see that as a potential problem as well. In my case (RV-10) I don't have the tail wheel issue but the possibility of a tail strike exists plus if your passengers in the RV-10 aren't loaded in the right order there is a chance the tail will hit the ground. Don't ask me how I know. Both will definitely damage the tailBeaconX

Quote:
Also, so the location on the bottom of the rudder seems to be fine for ground based locations. Any feedback on Aireon reception?
My test flight was just last Wednesday. I am waiting for uAvionix to get a report from NavCanada which, I am told, should be available in a day or two after the test flight. I will post the result here as soon as I get it.
Dual GRT 8.4" HXr EFIS, VP-200, TT A/P, Avidyne IFD440, uAvionixX ADS-B out, Sky Radar WX and Traffic, Dual EI's (one Lightspeed & one SDS CPI)

Link to my build site:
https://ivankristensen.smugmug.com/B...ENTAL-aircraft
Old 02-21-2020, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Kristensen View Post
The new uAvionix tailBeaconX (TBX). It is an "all in one" Mode S ADSB Transponder with GPS and tail light which replaces your white rear position light/strobe. https://uavionix.com/products/tailbeaconx/
Ivan,

I thought it was just a rear position light and not a strobe. This might limit some folks night flying if their wing strobes aren't visible to the rear.

bob
Old 02-21-2020, 09:17 AM

Default Cool

Nice piece of tech, certainly packs a punch with all they jammed in that tiny box. Great work.

As others have said...that sure would scare me having $2500 plus in such an easy to damage part of plane. Tail draggers for sure, but like Ivan said....even the nose draggers have usually had a few tail impacts from too many people climbing in at the same time, poor landings or even cleaning, or hangar issues.
I could not imagine how bad a day that would be...and the complications of loosing adsb due to a mishap on a trip and now what do you do to get home?

Will be interested in how they pan out in the field.

Flew to Osh 11,12,15,17,19. SNF 2013. West to Cali /Washington/Vancouver/crossed the Rockies north to Red Deer east to Moosonee and over to maritimes. South to Jekyll Isl, cedar key, and Key West etc. 6 trips and 17 islands of the Bahamas. Flown turtles and dogs for Pilots n Paws too. Love our Rv's
Old 02-21-2020, 10:01 AM

Default Uavionix TB-X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post

Dave: My unit shipped with an AV-10 like Ivan's. Unlike Ivan, I haven't gone glass yet so I had to work with the AV-10. I have to say, the UI is painful once you've been spoiled by having all 7 digits available across the bottom of the Garmin 327 screen. Entering your code is Turn (to position) Push (to select that position) Turn (to change digit) Push (to confirm digit) Repeat. A lot more work than just hitting 1-2-3-4 across the bottom of the 327. Apart from that, the screen on the AV-10 is very small, and it packs in a lot of info (ALT/STBY/ON status, 4-digit code, Pressure altitude, and two status icons).

I wonder if we could convince someone to create a Head the size and shape of a Transponder so that it could replace my GTX 327 and have the seven push buttons to ease code input.

Wishing out loud, Terry.
Old 02-21-2020, 11:28 AM

Default potential for being damaged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
Answering both questions above:

Tim: My unit was a slightly earlier model that has a full plastic enclosure... It covers the antennas. For my tailwheel installation, i'm happier with that as it's a little more robust. I've smacked it with my tailwheel bar twice, and both times thought "oh ****" but haven't broken it. A hangar neighbour who also has an RV-6 and is a tester received a newer unit that doesn't have the full enclosure. He re-welded his tailwheel bar so it curves around the space where the tailBeacon sits. He won't hit it now.

Definitely, if you hit it hard, you will break it. It's just PCB material. We've both fed back our thoughts on that choice, but I suppose the target market is the largest market: tricycle gear aircraft. On a Cessna it would be well over your head. On an -A model RV, it wouldbe up where you'd put an eye out with it, but probably less likely to break it.

Taking that thought further - maybe it's timely for one of the fiberglass gurus or fairing suppliers to come up with a retrofit rudder top nav light mount fairing similar to what you see on c-172s.
Old 02-21-2020, 11:41 AM

Default TB-X mounted on the top of RV rudders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Inkster View Post
Taking that thought further - maybe it's timely for one of the fiberglass gurus or fairing suppliers to come up with a retrofit rudder top nav light mount fairing similar to what you see on c-172s.
I like that idea, that would allow me to retain a rear strobe (long as there would be no electronic interference from the strobe).

Terry.
Old 02-21-2020, 11:59 AM

Thanks to the beta testers for your replies.

So, the AV-10/20/30 control head must be providing the information that would normally be provided by an altitude encoder, or, the wiz-bang gps technology in the xbeacon doesn't require an altitude encoder. Which is it?

Dave
Sedona, AZ