Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 01-02-2020, 02:42 PM

Default Required testing after installation

Hi,

I just had ADS-B Out installed (Garmin GDL-82). The shop that did the work is in airspace where ADS-B-Out is required. Can I fly my airplane out of that field without applying for an exception? i.e. Do I have to do an ADS-B performance test before flying, without an exception, in required airspace?

Thanks,
Michael-
RV-9A Flying–340 hours!
Last Donation: December 2019

Last edited by Michael Burbidge : 01-02-2020 at 04:00 PM.
Old 01-02-2020, 02:58 PM

Nope. A deviation is not required. At least according to the Richmond FSDO (phone call) and an email from the ADAPT (portal to request deviation) folks.

Thank you for your inquiry.

There is no need to request a deviation after the installation is complete. Upon completion of your flight, please request a performance report using the following link:

https://adsbperformance.faa.gov/PAPRRequest.aspx

This will let you know that your equipment is working properly or, if not, which parameters need to be checked by your installer.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to ask.

Respectfully,
FAA ADAPT Support Team

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, December 31, 2019 1:10 PM
To: 9-AJO-ADAPT-Help (FAA) <adapthelp@faa.gov>
Subject: New ADS-B installation

I am equipping 1/2/20. If the installation checks out on the ground, do I still need to request a deviation through ADAPT? In other words, am I not technically legal until I get a PASSED performance report?

Thanks
Old 01-05-2020, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Burbidge View Post
Hi,

I just had ADS-B Out installed (Garmin GDL-82). The shop that did the work is in airspace where ADS-B-Out is required. Can I fly my airplane out of that field without applying for an exception? i.e. Do I have to do an ADS-B performance test before flying, without an exception, in required airspace?

Thanks,
Michael-
Your installer should perform ground tests per the installation manual to verify the unit performs to acceptable parameters, and then sign it off as such.
I suggest the owner then go fly, and after the flight request a PAPR to show system performance continuity.
But, there's no absolute guarantee, the system might glitch next week, or next year.