- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > ADS-B
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2020, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot135pd View Post
Thatís the ADS-B OUT antenna. Remember it reads the transponder output from the transponderís antenna and then has to transmit the ADS-B signal through that little antenna.
That was my understanding. Thx

RV6 - Builder/Flying
Bucker Jungmann
Fiat G.46 -(restoration in progress, if I have enough life left in me)
RV1 - Proud Pilot.
Old 03-09-2020, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoDave View Post
So am I understanding that some have mounted the echo UAT black box on the inside of an under wing access panel? As in the box mounted to the inside of the panel with the stubby antenna mounted through the panel? I know the GPS puck itself can be mounted anywhere it can see the sky. The black box and stubby antenna are what Im asking about. In my old age I'm easily confused, so wanted to clarify before I start drilling holes where I shouldn't!
Dave,

Yes, that is how I have mine mounted. The box is attached to the inside of the wing access panel and the UAT (pole) antenna is mounted through the panel. I have the GPS puck mounted on a shelf in the wingtip. Just make sure to secure everything so the wires etc can't mix with the controls. This arrangement required a 90 degree BNC adapter to the pole antenna.
RV-6A #20603
Complete 5/10/19
PP SEL / A&P
I donate every year on my B-Day (in Dec), but donated early in Sep'19.
Old 03-09-2020, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Thatís the ADS-B OUT antenna. Remember it reads the transponder output from the transponderís antenna and then has to transmit the ADS-B signal through that little antenna.
Close....there is a micro voltage in your aircraft wiring of the outbound transponder data (squawk and pressure altitude)that the echo picks up by ďsniffingĒ( since UAT is wired in) . This is the reason for the ability to adjust the threshold on the UAT. As always, gps puck is placed in open to view above, the transponder looking antenna in the package , as with most other like antenna, place on bottom/little ball thingy pointing down. Not saying it would not work in upward position in wing. The signals go to ground stations. I believe most installations will be this way.
Old 03-10-2020, 07:15 AM

Default Picture of your safety wire?

Quote:
That oil filler extension tube is missing the safety wire. Do you know how I caught that? Because I got dinged for it too on my condition inspection last weekend
Pilot135pd can you please post a picture of how you safety wire that part?
I looked on mine and I don't have safety wire on the upper part either, but I only see the point to have safety wire pass thru on the top part (short), not on the long one. Did you had to drill a point in there?
Ideas are always welcome. - Thank you.
A&P / Private Pilot
RC Pilot ( if that counts )
2019 VAF Contribution Sent
Old 05-18-2020, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsOnWheels View Post
Dave,

Yes, that is how I have mine mounted. The box is attached to the inside of the wing access panel and the UAT (pole) antenna is mounted through the panel. I have the GPS puck mounted on a shelf in the wingtip. Just make sure to secure everything so the wires etc can't mix with the controls. This arrangement required a 90 degree BNC adapter to the pole antenna.
Are your connections easy enough to manage when you have to remove that inspection panel say for a CI? This seems like the easiest way for me to mount it up in my 8..
Old 05-19-2020, 12:39 AM

Quote:
That oil filler extension tube is missing the safety wire. Do you know how I caught that? Because I got dinged for it too on my condition inspection last weekend
That RV-7A belongs to a friend but I will let him know. He bought it out of a famous builder's shop in Ohio about 18 months ago and apparently it's been that way.

To be more correct the dipstick tube extension (and base tube bottom) should be safety wired for both directions. Tightening and loosening. That keeps the gaskets from working loose when an over-zealous pilot cranks the dipstick in real tight, which is a bad idea. Or when he subsequently tries to remove the dipstick and it's super tight after temperature cycling. The dipstick should only screw in about 1/4 turn after making contact. It does not have to be tight. I saw some good advice here on VAF to only tighten the dipstick with the knuckles of the index and middle finger and not use the fingers themselves. Effectively a bio-metric torque limiter. My preference is are REAL brand dipstick tube gasket at the base of both the bottom and top tubes with the aforementioned dual direction safety tying. I usually use safety wire for the top one and safety cable for the base which can be hard to get to after the engine is installed.

Last edited by jliltd : 05-19-2020 at 12:42 AM.
Old 05-21-2020, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jselvatici View Post
Pilot135pd can you please post a picture of how you safety wire that part?
I looked on mine and I don't have safety wire on the upper part either, but I only see the point to have safety wire pass thru on the top part (short), not on the long one. Did you had to drill a point in there?
Ideas are always welcome. - Thank you.

So sorry for the delay, I've been swamped and frustrated with other things on my plane and forgot about this.

RV-8 N52VM: OnSpeed Gen2 AOA-3D, Dynon D-180, Autopilot, Titan 0-360A1A, Hartzell C/S, INS-429 IFR & GPS496, WingX & Stratux for backup & ADS-B IN. Enjoying life while building a FREE campsite for pilots www.facebook.com/VacaMooAirport/

Exempt by 3 out of the 10 ways but I still donated.
Old 05-21-2020, 05:39 PM

Curious..

uAvionix sells the MUX cable for GTX327 support, but I've seen people say the cable isn't necessary. What's the pros/cons of hardwiring the transponder vs sniffing? Just trying to figure out the clear path of upgrade here..