What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine Change In Phase II

guccidude1

Well Known Member
Friend
Guys: This is a question for those of you who have changed engines in Phase II. Did you notify your local FSDO rep of the major alteration and if you did, what were the flight test hours assigned to re-enter Phase II? Dan

I did as well. FSDO was very informal about the process and said that since it was possible to fly in my originally-assigned Phase I test area (I still operate out of the same airport from which my first flight was made), to use that test area and place the plane back in Phase I for 5 hours minimum.

This was after I installed a new engine, new prop, and re-worked the fuel system from a dual electric pump setup to one electric and one engine-driven pump. The fuel system change pushed it over the edge into major alteration territory in my case.

Depends.

If you are REPLACING the engine with the same type, it doesn't require any more testing. If you are CHANGING the engine, e.g. taking out the subaru and putting in a Lycoming, then yes, it requires Phase I. Anything that has an impact upon the flight characteristics, including those numbers that you put in the logbook, such as W&B, Vso, Vx, Vy, requires testing again.

Vic

Read your operating limitations, your answer will be in there.

When I switched from an O-290 to an O-360, I had to sign it back into Phase 1 for five hours, and then sign it back into Phase 2. The FSDO did not have to get involved; however, I contacted them to change my test area so I could fly to my favorite BBQ place. Some things are just that important!

Guys: Thanks for the info. For background purposes, I am changing engine from an O-360-A4K to an IO-360-A4A. It should be relatively painless, from no additional hours to 5 or 10. After spending 29 years in the AF, I adhere to the axiom, "If you can't stand the answer, don't ask the question". Dan

One other thing I don't see mentioned here is that if you change to or from a controllable prop, you will need to submit a new
airworthiness application (8130-6).

One other thing I don't see mentioned here is that if you change to or from a controllable prop, you will need to submit a new
airworthiness application (8130-6).

Tell us more Mel. For example, why is that not a "major alternation", requiring only a return to Phase 1?

Tell us more Mel. For example, why is that not a "major alternation", requiring only a return to Phase 1?

It's in your operating limitations. The new 8130-6 will update the information in Oklahoma City.

Back