What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Avionics questions

larrys

Well Known Member
We are building an RV-14A and getting to the point of buying the avionics. We plan to use the 12" AFS panels and Dynon controls.
And we where thinking for backup D10A and for IFR Garmin GPS 175

My questions is does it make sense to go with a bit larger and more capable garmin GPS and not use the D10A? If so which one?

What audio panel would be the way to go for future options like bluetooth and music etc?

And why do power plugs from aircraft suppliers cost so much? I was thinking https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01B79F8CW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=A2JU42WM4PJ26Q&psc=1
for each side and one in the rear.

Thanks, Larry

What audio panel would be the way to go for future options like bluetooth and music etc?

And why do power plugs from aircraft suppliers cost so much? I was thinking https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01B79F8CW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=A2JU42WM4PJ26Q&psc=1
for each side and one in the rear.

The Garmin GMA 245 is a great audio panel option with those features listed.

On the power plugs - noise! Not all are created equal and many will induce interference into the audio system. Speak with the large panel suppliers - I am sure they'll have options that are proven and don't have quality issues.

I?m very happy with the PS Engineering PDA360EX audio panel. Just installed this in two RVs.
Don?t bother with any audio panel that includes a marker beacon receiver. I did that for the RV-10 and after eight years of steady IFR flying never used it.

Recommend the experimental version and doing our own wiring.

https://www.ps-engineering.com/audio.shtml

Carl

I would use the PS Engineering PDA360R, it is available in a remote or panel mount version. Almost all of our AF-5000 panel customers use the remote model to save panel space. The EFIS will even display your phone battery level and let you answer and hangup a phone call using the Bluetooth interface.
The remote and panel mount versions can be controlled from the AF-5000 EFIS.

EFIS Audio panel menu:

49404930856_daa1bfba84_b.jpg

You can also select the radio to monitor and transmit on from the main EFIS menu without having to bring up the full Audio Panel Menu.

49404931786_dc49902830_b.jpg

We also manufacture our own panel mounted low noise intelligent USB charger with two separate charger slots.

Rob Hickman
N402RH RV-10
Advanced Flight Systems - Dynon Avionics

Last edited:
I would use the PS Engineering PDA360R, it is available in a remote or panel mount version. Almost all of our AF-5000 panel customers use the remote model to save panel space. The EFIS will even display your phone battery level and let you answer and hangup a phone call using the Bluetooth interface.
The remote and panel mount versions can be controlled from the AF-5000 EFIS.

EFIS Audio panel menu:

49404930856_daa1bfba84_b.jpg

You can also select the radio to monitor and transmit on from the main EFIS menu without having to bring up the full Audio Panel Menu.

49404931786_dc49902830_b.jpg

We also manufacture our own panel mounted low noise intelligent USB charger with two separate charger slots.

Rob Hickman
N402RH RV-10

Thanks Rob! This is Larry is Colorado Springs, you did a list for us a couple weeks ago and I was as lost as when I started. sorry.
But I love the remote version built into the AFS panel, we will do it. We are thinking the 5800 12" because we can make it fit the RV14.
And I will get your USB's, it make sense.
Thanks for your help! Larry

Rob Hickman
N402RH RV-10

More info please------could not find it on your website.

Hi Larry,

You didn?t specify what other equipment you plan on or your mission (ie routine IFR or ?emergency only? IFR, purely budget vs panel space saving, etc.). For example, what are you thinking of for your other IFR navigation, comm radios, etc? The 175 is GPS only, no comm or nav.

All of the equipment is pretty good these days, hard to make useful suggestions without knowing your overall plan.

Back