What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuselage wiring

BGordon

Well Known Member
Good afternoon everyone,
I?ve got wires starting to gather on the floor/seat of my 7 and I was wondering how have you got the wires to he back of the instrument pane? Just a bundle zip tied to the frame? Conduit at the front/aft? I?ve looked and can?t find any examples.

Thanks,
Brandon

Had the same issue with my RV9A. Fabricated a channel from the fuel valve to the rear instrument panel. Also used it to mount the ELT switch as well as the EC Commander for the PMags.

Do you have your rear baggage compartment floorboards riveted in yet? If not,...and believe me it?s a lot of extra work, but put nut-plates everywhere so that all of those floorboards are removable. At the very least before you rivet the floorboards down, enlarge all of the holes that?s provided to run your wires through.

As a matter of fact, it doesn?t hurt to make extra holes. You can never have too much room to run wires or have too much access. I?m even enlarging the holes that?s provided in spar web a little to allow easier wire passage.

You?ll end up running wires through the center of the spar by the fuel selector and up through the center tunnel you?ll also run wires on each side. It?s almost one of those cases where you?ll just find your own best route to get all of the wires forward of the spar and then up behind the panel.

Once again, at the very least, enlarge the existing holes that are provided; it?ll make your life a lot easier when you?re pulling all of those wires. Oh, like you?d mentioned, running conduit always keeps everything nice and organized.

Drawing OP-30 shows this including the detail of attaching conduit to the firewall stiffeners. This drawing probably comes with the wiring kit but also comes with the full pdf plans set if you get that.

Thanks for the insight, I hadn?t seen OP-30, but will go look. Thinking ahead...do you think the cabin heat will pose any issue to the conduit?

Thanks again
Brandon

Drawing OP-30 shows this including the detail of attaching conduit to the firewall stiffeners. This drawing probably comes with the wiring kit but also comes with the full pdf plans set if you get that.

No, I'm not worried.

I ran mine like this. You can see the conduit going up the firewall. All the wires aft of the center section are either held with snap bushings or adel clamps.

20191221_164831 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

If the conduit you're using is the corrugated stuff from Van's you will not be happy doing a flame test.

Take a piece of the Van's corrugated plastic conduit and set it on fire. The results are not pleasant. The plastic is hard to put out, has really toxic fumes and lights easily.

I'm using some smooth irrigation plastic that I found at the local hardware store. It reacted much better during a flame test.

If the conduit you're using is the corrugated stuff from Van's you will not be happy doing a flame test.

Take a piece of the Van's corrugated plastic conduit and set it on fire. The results are not pleasant. The plastic is hard to put out, has really toxic fumes and lights easily.

I'm using some smooth irrigation plastic that I found at the local hardware store. It reacted much better during a flame test.

Do you have a pic or the specs on the irrigation plastic that you found at the local hardware store? It sounds a lot better than Van's corrugated.

Good to know Michael. Good thing I put some firewall protection in. DanH has done much testing and it keeps the temp inside well short of where the plastic would ignite (I did some searching and can't seem to find the pic but I want to say I remember it being below 200 degrees after quite some time with fiberfrax done properly). Perhaps Dan will chime in. Now I just gotta hope the wires themselves don't go! :)

Back