What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anyone get their new undrilled mount yet?

dreed

Well Known Member
I can't really complain as my project set collecting dust for 10+ years, but I am running out of things to work on while I wait for the mount/gear.

I spoke to Van?s yesterday and my drilled mount is still 2-3 months out. I suspect the undrilled are in a similar situation.

Forgive me; are you guys talking about the engine mount/gear mount for the -7A? Or is there a back log at Vans for all -7 engine mounts? I am getting ready to order my -7 finish kit in a week or two...

New nose gear

Forgive me; are you guys talking about the engine mount/gear mount for the -7A? Or is there a back log at Vans for all -7 engine mounts? I am getting ready to order my -7 finish kit in a week or two...

They are referring to the new 7A mount and specifically the undrilled version. I'm also waiting. I called amd was told at least a month.
They should have 7 mounts in stock.

Thanks all-

Sorry, should have been more specific, but yes the new style mount/gear.

I was told a few weeks back 2-3 weeks, but called this week and they weren't able to give me an ETA. Sounds like the welding shop is just really backed up.

I am local and as soon as I get the call I will head down and get some pics for all of you. I know I am near the top of the list (ordered day 1 or 2 of availability).

I know in the grand scheme of things another few weeks isn't the end of the world but it's got me at a spot where I am running out of things to do.

Guess I should ust go fly and shake some of the rust off.

Yeah the last time I spoke to Vans they were more optomistic. I'm fine since I have some time before my engine arrives. Plenty of stuff to work on at this point so no worries.

Well that's not what I wanted to hear... I was really hoping to get the engine on and cowl done before winter. Don't know if that is going to happen if there is still a month to go. I was told mid-September but that was awhile ago.

I called Van?s earlier this week to check on my status on my finishing kit. It should be ready for pickup Monday the 16th and that has the new engine mount and landing gear.

Blake- have you drilled your firewall already or is it undrilled? If that latter I know a few people have received them already.

My engine was hanging and I had just started on the cowl when the new gear was announced. The mounts we are waiting for have not been drilled so we can match drill them to the existing holes in the FW

Thanks Blake!

Still jealous that you'll have your stuff soon but glad to see that people are getting the updated parts.

Mine looked like this about 2 days before they announced the new mount. I've gotten a lot more done while I "patiently" wait. Almost all of the glass work is done (minus the cowl) and should be getting the wings and tail over for paint while I wait.

80-mvimg_20190604_135401_589a383cb39894a2f4a34a5cf436d540b7b753ab.jpg

Vans just charged my CC on 9/6 for the balance of my Finishing Kit (requested new style mount), so I'm assuming they're crating it now. No word from them so I don't know if the mount itself is coming with the kit or if it's backordered.

Ryan,

Just check the amount billed. They don?t charge for the mount until they are ready to ship it. When mine was shipped separately that is what happened.

Just called today. He guessed at least a month. Said there was some sourcing issues for some of the parts. Also that it takes about 2 weeks for powder coat to be done. Looks like the waiting game continues, good thing I have lots of wiring to do. :)

Also, I got my name on the list July 26th for everyone's reference.

Drilled/Undrilled

I'm sure there's a reason but why not make them all undrilled. Any builder at that stage should be able to drill it. One part number.

11-4-19

Our un-drilled mount arrived via FedEx this morning. :)

Most parts were marked 10/7/2019 or 10/8. The main weldmont was dated 10/21. Packed well.

Now to pull the IO-360 and swap mounts. I?m sure I?ll have it done before dinner time. :D

What new RV-7/A gear? This is just for RV-7A new nose gear right? The RV-7/A confused me.

I hope the new nose gear works well..... Personally if I had an "A" model I would stick with the old mount until the new one proves it's worth.

Last edited:
In the middle of 2019 Vans announced a new engine mount and nose gear option (standard on new kits) for the RV-7A and RV-9A. The new nose gear is similar to the pivoted nose gear with rubber springs on the RV-10 and RV-14.

https://www.vansaircraft.com/2019/0...-gear-option-for-rv-7a-and-rv-9a-finish-kits/

The drilled engine mounts are shipped with new kits. The undrilled engine mounts are intended as replacements for projects/aircraft that have already drilled the firewall to fit the rod type nose gear and engine mount

Back